Giro 2023: Stage 19: Longarone – Tre Cime di Lavaredo 183 km The Mega Mountain Stage ***Spoilers***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329

My inner pessimist says this is going to be a GC dud, with everyone keeping powder dry for the TT. We might see some small late probing attacks just to put pressure on anyone that might not have legs that day, but nothing long range.

*blatant attempt to tempt the cycling gods into making me look an idiot by giving us a cracker*

Never possible to trick the gods like that
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    They are all too close on ability
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    I suspect that the CN forum will currently be in meltdown, due to the lack of GC action.
    And yet they all love Roglic. Go figure.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    26 secs isn't a lot
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • r0bh said:

GC:

GT
    Rog +26s
    Almeida +59s

Two horse race now, surely.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    gsk82 said:

Looked the strongest then lost 3 seconds FFS. 🤦

One of those finishes where the last 100m goes on forever.
  • 26 secs isn't a lot

Nope, gaps could be significant tomorrow
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Roglic is always good for a little sprint like that right
  • Pross
    Geraint's attack almost took them past Magnus Cort which would have meant Roglic getting the third place bonus seconds. Near miss that!
  • mididoctors
    G would take that outcome
  • Pross
    Arensman is a bundle of fun in an interview.
  • mididoctors
    Ineos rode that really well
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Arensman: "f***ing impressive" :D
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 678

G would take that outcome

If he remembers to take his coat off and put his Garmin on, he's in with a shout.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816

Roglic is always good for a little sprint like that right

So funny that Cort out sprinted him for third and pinched his precious bonus seconds.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    What's the thinking of a winning time tomorrow? I'm assuming around 55 minutes.
  • mididoctors
    Roglic morale up ....
  • mididoctors
    Has g run out of energy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Pross said:

I’m thinking a lot less than that. In the mid forties. I’ve not given it a huge amount of thought though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I’m thinking a lot less than that. In the mid forties. I’ve not given it a huge amount of thought though.
    I did a bit of a rough calculation and came up with just under 50 minutes. This was based on an average of 52kph for the flat first 10.5km and then 13kph for the uphill 8 kms. Average for the first 3 in the Stage 1 TT was just over 53kph and with fatigue and the climb to come I assume they'll be slower on the flat. Guessing the speed they'll do that climb is a challenge though, around 15-16kph seems quite normal on big climbs in road stages but they are rarely all out efforts so I suspect the climb will be a few minutes quicker than my calculation. Your guess feels more likely to be honest.
  • Pross said:

I'm thinking a little in excess of 45 minutes.

Climb is 900m, so full bore effort <=> VAM = 1800 => 30 minutes.

Flat before is 11k, slightly uphill, so 15 mins.
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 232
    Pross said:

The middle time they expect on the Giro website is 42 minutes
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 232
    https://www.giroditalia.it/en/tappe/stage-20-of-the-giro-ditalia-2023-tarvisio-monte-lussari-itt/

medio expected time 41-20.

I think that maybe optimistic on reflection
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Xavier Disley has around 40 mins for the quick ones
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Hmmm, a stage watched by clicking the 10s forward button does not suggest a classic.

Fair play Gee & Primoz though, and then there were two...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Total snooze unfortunately
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited May 2023
    The loss of Evenepoel and TGH has done for the race. We were left with three conservative riders happy to take their chances on the TT.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Whoever wins is going to be tainted by “they wouldn’t have won if Remco hadn’t got ill” even though I’m not convinced he was the dead cert many seemed to think.
  • Pross said:

Whoever wins is going to be tainted by “they wouldn’t have won if Remco hadn’t got ill” even though I’m not convinced he was the dead cert many seemed to think.

I think in the final analysis, no-one really cares who wasn’t there or who underperformed etc. All any athlete can be asked to do is beat the oppo that is there.

Caveat is political boycotts like the US re 1980 OGs.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    r0bh said:

Dennis does about 200m on the front

One for the TV camera.