Giro 2023 - Stage 17: Pergine Valsugana–Caorle, 195 km, The Coast to the Coast Stage.***Spoiler***

2»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    22k most of break caught
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Lone leader getting back out to a minute. The sprint teams need to be careful here.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    Cav got his positioning all wrong. I think Dainese got it from Milan and Matthews.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Photo finish.

Milan came from nowhere again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Dainese takes it from Milan. Matthews in third in a 3 way photo. Cav got out of position and seemed to sit up when he knew he couldn't complete. Not sure what happened to Ackerman. Bonafaccio did two full width switches and could have caused havoc although there was a bit of space in front and behind.
  • rick_chasey
    Cav having a barney with some guys at the finish haha
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Milan is fricking huge
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    McEwan is predictably a good sprint pundit. I should add that when he wasn't racing Boonen I was a big fan of his.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    I really enjoyed the last 5 metres of that stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Any analysis of what happened to Cav yet? He was almost on Milan's wheel around flamme rouge, then he dropped back like a stone
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Any analysis of what happened to Cav yet? He was almost on Milan's wheel around flamme rouge, then he dropped back like a stone

He's finished and should retire.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Pross said:

Dainese takes it from Milan. Matthews in third in a 3 way photo. Cav got out of position and seemed to sit up when he knew he couldn't complete. Not sure what happened to Ackerman. Bonafaccio did two full width switches and could have caused havoc although there was a bit of space in front and behind.

Like Milan, Ackermann was on his own fairly early on, before the other sprinters were, even at over 2 km out. At a bend towards the Flamme Rouge he moved up 3 or 4 places to be briefly 5th, but then fell back again, to about 9th. At the time, Milan was about 15th, then 12th, but after the last bend, Milan moved forward to go ahead of Ackermann. Ackermann got on Milan's wheel. They had about 500 m to go.
    When Matthews went to the front, Dainese was about 5th (he too having been briefly farther forward), Milan about 7th and Ackermann about 9th. But 150 m out, when Milan speedied up and moved to the left, it seemed Ackermann didn't have the legs anymore, and he eased up (and Bonifazio meandered over to the left to get between Milan and Ackermann, before then later meandering back to the right).