Giro 2023: Stage 16: Sabbio Chiese – Monte Bondone 203 km, A Mucho Mountain Affair. ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
Stage 16: Sabbio Chiese – Monte Bondone 203 km

Start Time: 9-50amBST.

Luckily, second big mountain stage of this Giro is at a comparatively low altitude and the weather seems to be improving.
The first 60 kilometres of stage 16 are virtually flat, however, the remaining 140 kilometres features a massive 5,200 metres of climbing. The race opens along the western shores of Lago di Garda and finishes atop the famous and often used Monte Bondone, although it will be tackled from an unusual side.

Profile.

The race runs in a mostly North Easterly direction, initially taking a scenic, lakeside route, before turning East, through Riva del Garda and adopting a more erratic path through the mountains.

Map.

Climbs.

Passo di Santa Barbara GPM1, 12.7 km at 8.3% is a very tough climb. Its descent is only 2.7 km long, as it connects with the Passo Bordala.

Next up is Matassone, GPM2, 11.3 km at 5.6%, which will add fatigue to the legs. It is followed by the longer Serrada, although the gradient is a similar 5.5%. (max 9.6% early on)

Monte Bondone, one of the most famous climbs of this edition, adds up to 21.4 kilometres and it slopes at 6.7%. The gradients level off in the middle section, while the average gradient between kilometre 12 and 19.5 sits at 8.2%. The last 2kms are at a gentle 3.5%

Final Kms.

The steepest ramp – at 15% – appears 5.5 kilometres before the summit.

Previous stage winner on Monte Bondone were Charly Gaul (1956), Giorgio Furlan (1992), and Ivan Basso (2006).

Sabbio Chiese

Sabbio Chiese is a town situated in the middle part of Valle Sabbia.
It is crossed by the Chiese river and by the Vrenda, Trinolo and Preane streams and it consists of the administrative centre and of little hamlets called Sabbio Sopra, Pavone and Clibbio.
The heart of Sabbio Chiese is near its river; in the point where the River Chiese receives water from the Vrenda stream forming a valley.
The town is very ancient and it probably gave its name to Valle Sabbia.
Sabbio Chiese is dominated by its magnificent Rocca, a fortress that you can admire from different points of the valley.

Food.

Valle Sabbia is famous for the production of renowned fresh and seasoned cow’s milk cheese and delicacies deriving from the processing of goat’s milk, in particular cheese and yoghurt: Bagòss, Sabbio and Conca, Nostrano Valsabbia and Formaggella Valsabbina.

Bagòss

Other delicacies that can be considered unique in their kind and which are found in the Valsabbina tradition skilfully re-proposed starting from the most ancient recipes, are bread and wild herbs gnocchi, the casoncelli with melted butter or the traditional “polenta taragna”. One of the most renowned dish in this area is “the spiedo”, meat on the spit that over time has become a symbol of a great, imposing, convivial dish for special occasions.

Monte Bondone

The 16,3 km long legendary climb, which leads from Trento to Monte Bondone sits at 1651 meters of altitude.
A few kilometers far from Trento and easily accessible from the city, Monte Bondone is a stunning natural setting that offers everything a nature and sport lover could desire: beautiful walks, hiking trails, mountainbike trails, cycling routes, paragliding, activities for kids and families, outdoor games and the possibility to rent bikes and e-bikes.

Food

Trentino’s cuisine is a melting pot of ingredients and methods, since it is at the junction between two climates and several culinary traditions. A rich local food & wine tradition which pays particular attention to quality and ensures both the purity and authenticity of the raw ingredients.
Autenthic products like trout and char from mountain streams, Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Garda Trentino, organic vegetables, berries, Trentino’s cheese, milk product excellences and cured meat.

Carne Salada

One of the most famous cakes in Trentino-Alto Adige’s cuisine is strudel, layered pastry filled with apples, raisins, pine nuts and cinnamon.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    They should let the break go early and enjoy riding that traffic free. Would love a ride of that route.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Monte Bondone, where I first put skis on, in 1978 or 79.

And not often you'd get to ride up the western side of Garda on a closed road.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Someone I used to race with back in the 90s is doing the full route a couple of days ahead of the race for charity (he’s done it on the Tour a couple of times previously). He did this stage yesterday - 128 miles and 17,000 feet of elevation. Took him 10 hours (ex-1st cat racer, think he may have been Welsh champion and still a very good cyclist who leads cycle tours in the Canaries when not working as a mechanic for various teams).
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    This has a GC crawl with a 200m sprint for the bonus seconds on the last climb written all over it.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Maybe Thomas will pull a Basso and just ride everyone off his wheel on the Bondone.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    phreak said:

Maybe Thomas will pull a Basso and just ride everyone off his wheel on the Bondone.

LOL! I'd say it was more likely that Mark Cavendish will win a bunch sprint at the end!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Of the three mountain top finishes this week, this is the one that suits Thomas the most.
  • blazing_saddles
    This should please the riders.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Way too hot, better cut the stages short.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Not a lot of valley road after they hit the climbs . Break could get this especially if pinot gets in a break ....the jersey won't chase
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I wonder if Ineos might try and slip one of their men at 4 minutes into the break try and force Jumbo to control and burn Roglic's team off that way.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors

I wonder if Ineos might try and slip one of their men at 4 minutes into the break try and force Jumbo to control and burn Roglic's team off that way.

Interesting to see if any of the GC teams try and get riders in the break .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Someone I used to race with back in the 90s is doing the full route a couple of days ahead of the race for charity (he’s done it on the Tour a couple of times previously). He did this stage yesterday - 128 miles and 17,000 feet of elevation. Took him 10 hours (ex-1st cat racer, think he may have been Welsh champion and still a very good cyclist who leads cycle tours in the Canaries when not working as a mechanic for various teams).

Exhausting effort ... Did he do all of stage 13?
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,188
    Quickstep down to two as Ballerini goes home.

Simon Clarke also DNS.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    That first 60k along the lake will look stunning
  • kingstongraham
    KM0 reached, so naturally they stop for Colbrelli to say hello.
  • kingstongraham
    And they're off. Battles for the break already.
  • blazing_saddles
    Unusual opening.
    Photos at km 0 instead of the flying start.

Anyhow, they are off now.
    Could be a long fight for the breakaway
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Any free feeds to watch the first part along the lake?
  • mididoctors
    Crash
  • mididoctors
    They are ok
  • mididoctors
    Kuss chasing on ...it's fast
  • blazing_saddles
    Riders down: Kuss, De Plus and Fortunato.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

Any free feeds to watch the first part along the lake?

Hard to find ..I got the gcn ..tiz seems blocked
  • mididoctors
    A lot of kom jersey contender's trying to get in the moves
  • blazing_saddles
    Definitely a split in the peloton
  • mididoctors
    Peloton split
  • mididoctors
    Pink jersey caught out ... Healy trying to get away
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Cav trying to get in the break