Giro 2023: Stage 14: Sierre – Cassano Magnago 193 km? One Big Lump or Pan Flat??? ***Spoilers***

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited May 2023

How long did it take to get going ?

Started early but only really let go @ 12:05.
    Some trying to bridge.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    pblakeney said:

How long did it take to get going ?

Started early but only really let go @ 12:05.
    Some trying to bridge.
    Cheers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    FYI - break was let go once Pinot gave up trying to be in it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    Well I doubt they will want to take gaviria to the line
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    pblakeney said:

andyp said:

They've been riding these passes for 100 years - apart from brakes that work better in the wet, better clothing, better medical support and more money what has changed ?

The climate? And the Giro used to end later, in 1992 for example, it ended on June 14th.
    Has it not got warmer?
    Everyone seems to be in shorts so much ado about nothing.
    Warmer global temperatures mean more extreme weather. So we get longer, hotter droughts, and more intense wet spells that are having, and will continue to have, a huge impact on bike racing.

Let's not forget, Emilia-Romagna is currently experiencing the worst flooding it's had in over a century, a region this race has already visited.
  • pblakeney
    andyp said:

pblakeney said:

andyp said:

They've been riding these passes for 100 years - apart from brakes that work better in the wet, better clothing, better medical support and more money what has changed ?

The climate? And the Giro used to end later, in 1992 for example, it ended on June 14th.
    Has it not got warmer?
    Everyone seems to be in shorts so much ado about nothing.
    Warmer global temperatures mean more extreme weather. So we get longer, hotter droughts, and more intense wet spells that are having, and will continue to have, a huge impact on bike racing.

Let's not forget, Emilia-Romagna is currently experiencing the worst flooding it's had in over a century, a region this race has already visited.
    Talk was about snow though.
    Anyway, back to the race...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

Well I doubt they will want to take gaviria to the line

Trouble is the distance from the base of the descent to the finish.
    Gaviria will find out who his friends are in the breakaway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Oh well, the grass needs cutting so that may provide a little light relief.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    The breakaway gaining a chunk of time on the descent.
    Surprised those who can climb made zero effort to get rid of Gaviria on the climb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Ganna tested covid negative after getting home ...
  • mididoctors
    Bucketing down
  • mididoctors
    Mollema has to clip off sometime
  • mididoctors
    Bettiol on the move
  • mididoctors
    Denz going after him
  • mididoctors
    Mollema now
  • mididoctors
    3 solo moves
  • mididoctors
    Mollema bringing it back with the break on his wheel
  • mididoctors
    REX
  • mididoctors
    55 k.out ..... Lot of racing to go
  • mididoctors
    Ballerini is not the guy to o take with you
  • mididoctors
    Skuijin bridging
  • blazing_saddles
    Mucking around in the chase group.
    Some rainwear being shed
  • blazing_saddles
    Ineos looking to offload the jersey to Bruno Armirail?
    The only reason I can think of is to make Pinot stay in the bunch...
  • mididoctors
    Active dust up gap 24 secs
  • mididoctors
    Gaviria spat out of chase group
  • mididoctors
    Decent racing .
  • mididoctors
    Rex dropped on small rise ...it's fast 16 sec
  • mididoctors
    Peloton is going to be slow on these small roads
  • mididoctors
    Going to be close