Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 5: Atripalda - Salerno, 171 km - bumpy then downhill ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    Dainese should get relegated for that.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    I think cav wheel slipped on the white line
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Still 5 th
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    LOL
  • mididoctors
    Remco ok ego bruising I think
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Do you get extra style points in the PTP for crossing the line on your backside?
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    5th on his a*se, Cav's back! B)

Yeah, skidded on the white line when kicking off his sprint, backed off and got swiped by Dainese. Think his bike took out Dekker after the line, maybe looked like a collarbone.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,862
    A stage worth watching?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

It was both, slipped back wheel just as he went to launch and then had his front wheel taken out by Dainese who sprinted at 45 degrees (I think he may also have lost traction just before though). Think he would have challenged for that but surprised at a rider of his experience going on the white line just as he was about to kick.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    daniel_b said:

A stage worth watching?

Not unless you want to watch crashes.

Could watch the final 6km for chaos.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    daniel_b said:

A stage worth watching?

Last 10 km perhaps. Very nervy stage due to the conditions.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    daniel_b said:

A stage worth watching?

Last 10 k
  • mididoctors
    Weird one ...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,862
    Cheers chaps, will do so in a bit before the evening ride :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

It was both, slipped back wheel just as he went to launch and then had his front wheel taken out by Dainese who sprinted at 45 degrees (I think he may also have lost traction just before though). Think he would have challenged for that but surprised at a rider of his experience going on the white line just as he was about to kick.
    Just focusing on the finish I guess .....he knows how to fall
  • Pross
    Was Cav actually 5th or has it just picked up his bike crossing the line without him?
  • mididoctors
    Southern Italian roads are infamous for there surfaces
  • Pross
    Yeah, usually dry down there so they get away with it. Last couple of days have felt like they've been up north.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Was Cav actually 5th or has it just picked up his bike crossing the line without him?

He came across with it
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    Pross said:

Yeah, usually dry down there so they get away with it. Last couple of days have felt like they've been up north.

Usually dry, so when it rains it releases months of oil drips from the surface
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Green rider who then crashed into Cav was taken out by a fan holding their camera out.
  • rick_chasey
    phreak said:

It feels noteworthy that amid all the crashes, Geraint Thomas appears to have come through unscathed.

I imagine as soon as this was posted he slipped on the bus stairs
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    The rider who somehow managed to avoid completely going into the barriers when Cav slid across was Filippo Fiorelli from Bardiani. Impressive bike handling with nowhere to go
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey

The rider who somehow managed to avoid completely going into the barriers when Cav slid across was Filippo Fiorelli from Bardiani. Impressive bike handling with nowhere to go

Right - he hit a held out phone which then made him nudge Cav etc.
  • Pross
    Still trying to work out why Remco was getting so worked up about his second crash, looked like he drifted into the Ineos rider going past him bumped shoulders and crashed.
  • Pross
    edited May 2023

Right - he hit a held out phone which then made him nudge Cav etc.
    Pretty sure it was Cav that bumped him initially to send him into the barriers.

Edit - you can see it clearly in that video, he's been knocked over to the barrier and only as he hits the barrier does he knock the arm with the phone sticking through the gap. With the wider base the phone wouldn't have touched him had he not already been crashing.
  • Pross
    edited May 2023
    Depending on the size of the gap the arm was sticking through they may well have got a broken arm in the process.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Schoolboy error being on that white line though.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.