“Yona Tan Mee Lan”

“Never heard of him”, I was thinking to myself whilst watching the Giro Stage 2…

Only to see the results flash up on the screen & realise it was Jonathan Milan!🙄

Is the extravagant pronounciation really necessary?

Comments

• hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    Rob Hatch?

Final straw for me was when he put several Hs at the start of GVA's name not so long ago.

Hhhhhreg Van Ay-vermate

Aye, ok mate.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    If that is how he/ Italians pronounce his name, then yes. He's not English...
    If you're familiar with the Scottish football commentator, Derek Rae, then he's big on pronouncing names as they are meant. Too many anglo commentators are pretty ignorant about names/ places.

On the old Ch4 Football Italia, James Richardson would pronounce Milan, as Mee-lan.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Being of Polish stock, it's a bugbear of mine that pretty much every GCN commentator gets Kasia Niewiadoma's name wrong. Kasha. It's pronounced Kasha ffs, not Kaseea.
  • andyrac said:

If you're familiar with the Scottish football commentator, Derek Rae, then he's big on pronouncing names as they are meant. Too many anglo commentators are pretty ignorant about names/ places.

On the old Ch4 Football Italia, James Richardson would pronounce Milan, as Mee-lan.

Interestingly I google searched if indeed the Italians pronounced it “Yona Tan” and no, they don’t. They say “Jonathan” very similarly to how we say it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Here's some help with some of the really tricky ones
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Little englanders unite.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Here in Denmark we have very, very low expectations of commentators pronouncing Danish names (even though Danish coms aren't especially good at foreign names), but the worst is Cecilie. It just isn't anywhere near "Sessily". It's Cecilie, just like in the song "you're breaking my heart". That should make it ridiculously simple for them, but no.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Surely Jose Been takes this to another level. Whether Hatch's pronunciation is correct or not at least his comprise primarily of sounds that exist in the English language. Once you know Yona Tan Me Lan is Jonathan Milan you are good to go. Jose seems to pronounce every name using those sounds that we don't have in English - it may be correct for a native Flemish/Dutch speaker but I really find it difficult to follow who she is referring to as every rider is just a collection of incomprehensible noises arranged in different order.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    edited May 2023
    Well this was worth a whole new thread of it’s own.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328

andyrac said:

Interestingly I google searched if indeed the Italians pronounced it “Yona Tan” and no, they don’t. They say “Jonathan” very similarly to how we say it.
    I have an Italian/English friend that I see most times we go to Italy, his name is Jonathan. The Italians get the J right, but the th is just a t so he tends to be referred to as Jonatan, but more usually abbreviated so it's not an issue.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    When I used to live in France, I had two english friends, Harry and Ed.

My italian friends were quite literally incapable of calling them anything other than Arry and Head.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    edited May 2023

When I used to live in France, I had two english friends, Harry and Ed.

My italian friends were quite literally incapable of calling them anything other than Arry and Head.

Said it before but on topic, in Montreal a Honda Accord becomes a Onda H'accord.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Poor old Ugo Oule
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Sam Benenet-t-t-t-t-t is what I'm calling him from now on tho 😁
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Pronouncing as Jonathan today ;)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Watching Eurovision yesterday, Mel Geidroyc was commentating and at one point said “sorry for the pretentious pronunciations, but I studied Modern Languages and want show it off”
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    I don’t mind the pronunciation thing thing, but saying today that TGH rode the ‘time trial of his career’ when he literally won the actual Giro by a TT in 2020 makes it a bit of a stretch.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross

I don’t mind the pronunciation thing thing, but saying today that TGH rode the ‘time trial of his career’ when he literally won the actual Giro by a TT in 2020 makes it a bit of a stretch.

His TT today was better. He was 13th, 58” down on the stage in 2020. He ‘just’ needed to beat Hindley.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I think that's by far the best TT result TGH has had in a major stage race. By some margin.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734

Soft giro though wasn’t it?

Not his fault, he can only beat the riders who start with him.
  • carbonclem
    This Giro may play out yet in his favour (I hope so) but figures schmigures … that Giro winning one was his career highlight thus far.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

This Giro may play out yet in his favour (I hope so) but figures schmigures … that Giro winning one was his career highlight thus far.

I would have thought winning a Giro might be a lot of riders career highlight.
  • Pross

The Giro win was but not necessarily the TT.
  • carbonclem
    Pross said:

Its a fair point. I guess it depends how you view it. Best performance data wise, or as an actual means to an end.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

To give your post some perspective, he finished the TT stage in 13th place 58 seconds behind the winner Ganna.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

To give your post some perspective, he finished the TT stage in 13th place 58 seconds behind the winner Ganna.
    I said that further up :wink:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Funny moment for the language police

In What's Occurring, G asked his masseuse who Aurelien PP rose for and he said "Ah Jay Deux Air" to which G replied "Ah, AG2R"
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I said that further up :wink:
    Ah!
    Too much wine with dinner last night and completely forgot. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Milan has been really impressive so far on the road. Don't know if the case couldn't be made, that he already seems to be a better road racer than Ganna (based purely on road racing excluding TT's and track obviously). His start is extremely promising at the very least.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    m.r.m. said:

Milan has been really impressive so far on the road. Don't know if the case couldn't be made, that he already seems to be a better road racer than Ganna (based purely on road racing excluding TT's and track obviously). His start is extremely promising at the very least.

Ganna has come 2nd in MSR and 6th in Roubaix. He's also won a Giro road stage.