bikefitting

49yr old, lifelong runner and cyclist.
I've been struggling on-and-off with hamstring injury despite all the usual things, daily stretching and physiotherapy exercises. Pain comes after running. But it started when I upped my cycling 3yr ago (doubled to 10000km/yr).
Just booked my first ever professional bikefitting, 2hr and 200eur. Although bicycle setting seems perfect to me as it is, perhaps something wrong....

Any comments on professional bikefitting?

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Just a thought - is it possible it's a disc in your spine causing the issues ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    edited May 2023

Just a thought - is it possible it's a disc in your spine causing the issues ?

Good question, thanks a lot.
    In fact I do have an herniated disc (diagnosied via NMR of course).
    The 1st orthopeadic I saw says this is the cause of my hamstring / gluteous / back issues, and the only solution (which may or may not help) is physiotherapie (been doing exercises every day for now 3yr, on my own at home, after reviewing them with the physio).
    A 2nd orthopeadic confirms I have an herniated disc but it's nothing to do with the issues I'm having. Tried ultrasound therapy, useless, now he also suggests physio work.
    It's not unusual for Dr, especially orthopeadic, to disagree.

I'll go for the bikefitting. At worst it'll be a wasted 2hr and 200eur. Not much hope this will help, but enough hope to justify spending this.

More comments?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    pep.fermi said:

At worst it'll be a wasted 2hr and 200eur. Not much hope this will help, but enough hope to justify spending this.

More comments?

No more comments required. Hope is justification enough.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Yes I agree - maybe worth mentioning the disc to your fitter. I know I thought I had damaged a hamstring getting hit by a car while cycling - later turned out I had a damaged disc (symptoms got much worse so had an MRI) and I now think what I thought was scar tissue causing a tight hamstring was caused by the disc impinging on a nerve. Of course it could have been both.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,935
    I had a herniated disc as well in the past, touch wood it seems to be ok now.

I had my first and only bike fit a couple of years ago now, and although he knew his stuff, and was a thoroughly friendly and pleasant chap to spend time with, the crux of it was that he barely altered my position on the bike, but that was down to me lucking into having it pretty much nailed due to a lot of turbo work and playing with stem lengths/handlebar height etc in that more controlled environment.

I did it out of curiosity and because I was hoping some revelation was going to come where I was going to be able to generate more power, but it wasn't to be.

You've got some injury issues though, so well worth a try I would say, as for you it could revolutionise your riding and presumably enjoyment at the same time.

Do come back and let us know how it goes - good luck!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18