Pre-Giro chat

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Rohan better feel motivated in his final year ... Van emdem is a bit bulky in the hills
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Fingers crossed he can find some of the form that towed TGH round in '20.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    JimD666 said:

Fingers crossed he can find some of the form that towed TGH round in '20.

Maybe he'll tow TGH round in '23. Not purposefully, but still....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809
    Who do we think Ineos leader will be?

TGH has the number 1 bib and is "in the form of his life" according to G

Or will be a case of "the road decides"?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

Or the bidon, or the motorbike.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Who do we think Ineos leader will be?

TGH has the number 1 bib and is "in the form of his life" according to G

It's always been a bit "the road decides" since the Froome demise. TGH is in great form, but if Thomas reaches anything like his Tour 22 form then he's a serious threat as well
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    TGH if he can avoid any bad days. It’s contract year, he’ll want to podium!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    Does the forum think he has it in him to best evenepoel?
  • pblakeney

How does Evenepoel perform in the high mountains?
    I cannot recall. That will be key.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited May 2023
    Great to see TGH on really good form, but I struggle to see him beating Rog and Remco in their current form - I hope to be wrong though, and I'd like to think there would at least be a decent GC battle.
    A 3 or 4 horse race would be preferable to a 2 horse one imo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

No idea, I don't usually watch the Vuelta.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    So we have Remco and Roglic as favourites, TGH and Thomas as podium contenders and then any of the below as wildcards to be up there?

Almeida / Carthy / Vine / Vlasov / Haig

Anyone I'm missing? Seems pretty thin. Hoping at least it's an all-out fight for stages to provide the entertainment, lots of good stage hunters on the start line and not sure either Quickstep or Jumbo are strong enough to control the whole race.
  • rick_chasey
    Roglic is severely hampered by a sub-standard support team as a result of covid. Wouldn't under-estimate, especially given how he likes to race.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Thomas is an interesting one to watch - I know he's getting on for a cyclist but he's had so much misfortune in grand tours that, his 1 TdF win aside, his record probably doesn't do justice to his good he was. 3rd in the Tour last year, if he has had a good preparation for this Giro it's possible he could make it a 3 horse race
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Going by Wiki he performed roughly on par with the other contenders and won it with the TT time difference. Means he will be a genuine contender but not guaranteed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

Thomas is an interesting one to watch - I know he's getting on for a cyclist but he's had so much misfortune in grand tours that, his 1 TdF win aside, his record probably doesn't do justice to his good he was. 3rd in the Tour last year, if he has had a good preparation for this Giro it's possible he could make it a 3 horse race

Is he going to crash into a field containing three horses? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

Roglic is severely hampered by a sub-standard support team as a result of covid. Wouldn't under-estimate, especially given how he likes to race.

A sky train with a hilltop sprint suits him fine.

We got a gaggle of riders with a decent mountain top sprint ... I am hoping TGH can hang on to the pair cos he has a fighting chance if he can

I.think.remco is going to ignite the stages further out and spoil that plan.

Its down to who can follow

Anyone can crack in the third ....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    Remco did OK at Sierra Nevada in the Vuelta, and matched Rog in the Volta Catalunya which had some relatively high MTFs
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    I get the feeling roglic is slightly past his past ..remco is still imptoving and TGH is as good as he ever will be .

Hugh almeida and vine are wild cards for a podium . Haig just can't see it

Caruso .....delusional old man energy ... Is he going?
  • mididoctors
    G may come good and surprise ...but he is looking tired
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Going by Wiki he performed roughly on par with the other contenders and won it with the TT time difference. Means he will be a genuine contender but not guaranteed.
    The Giro is different gravy though. The climb to Pico Veleta, for instance, is just long and steady at around 6%. Contrast that to the Tre Cime stage where the Giau is barely below 10% all the way and the finale up Tre Cime itself notorious. Add in that the Giro usually has some dodgy weather to contend with and Remco has to have a question mark against him, especially given how he fared in his last participation.

Given all the variables involved it's probably the least predictable of the GTs.
  • pblakeney
    phreak said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The Giro is different gravy though. The climb to Pico Veleta, for instance, is just long and steady at around 6%. Contrast that to the Tre Cime stage where the Giau is barely below 10% all the way and the finale up Tre Cime itself notorious. Add in that the Giro usually has some dodgy weather to contend with and Remco has to have a question mark against him, especially given how he fared in his last participation.

Given all the variables involved it's probably the least predictable of the GTs.
    Agreed. Anyone wanting to beat Remco has to commit 100% to attack on days like the Tre Cime stage, or give up hope.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

We got a gaggle of riders with a decent mountain top sprint ... I am hoping TGH can hang on to the pair cos he has a fighting chance if he can

The Sky train has been consigned to history.
    The main train has been Jumbo for the past few years.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    pblakeney said:

phreak said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Agreed. Anyone wanting to beat Remco has to commit 100% to attack on days like the Tre Cime stage, or give up hope.
    Especially as there's a pretty good chance that Remco will have no team to help him by the time they get to Cortina that day. That said, the weather always plays a part so it's never guaranteed that the parcours as it is today will be what they ride. The last time they rode the Giau the stage was massively shortened due to weather.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Remco looked very impressive on the long climbs in the vuelta. I think he got a reality check in Catalunya, but still looked like he's learnt a lot since his last go in the giro.
  • takethehighroad
    pblakeney said:

There was a bit of a train in the Tour of the Alps
  • takethehighroad

Remco looked very impressive on the long climbs in the vuelta. I think he got a reality check in Catalunya, but still looked like he's learnt a lot since his last go in the giro.

I don't think his last Giro is any kind of barometer, given he was a) 2 years younger then and b) coming back off a very serious injury and it was his first race back
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

I would agree but
    Go tell ineos that

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

There was a bit of a train in the Tour of the Alps
    Probably more to do with the competition. Jumbo have been blowing up the Ineos train when it matters.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

He lost time in both Vuelta stages at high altitude and they were longer TT style climbs rather than Giro steepness.
    Twitter: @RichN95