UCI MTB World Series 2023 (EWS, DHI, XC World Cups).

andyrac
andyrac Posts: 1,131
The start of a new era for MTB racing, with Discovery/ ESO Sports taking everything 'in house' and running the entire show, similar to many motorsport series.

It all kicks off this weekend with the first round of what was the EWS, but is now known as Enduro World Cup, in Tasmania. No live coverage for Enduro, but highlights on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/@gmbnracing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BamH56fa7nY&ab_channel=GMBNRacing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3tEraG2N_4&ab_channel=UCIMountainBikeWorldSeries

The XC season starts mid May in Nove Mesto, and the Downhill in June........
All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."

Comments

• andyrac
    News on presentation/ commentary teams, plus the free to air content:

https://ucimtbworldseries.com/news/uci-mountain-bike-world-series-reveals-2023-broadcast-details

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/uci-mountain-bike-world-series-reveals-2023-world-cup-broadcast-details.html#commenttop

The comment sections is pure entertainment. The amount of people who are completely unable to read something correctly still astounds me.
  • andyrac
    Yeah, Pinkbike is always like this....
    Trying to explain that the sport isn't growing, and needs more 'outside' money is hopeless. They seem to want it to be a hobby for riders.....
  • andyrac
  • andyrac
  • andyrac
    One week out from the first XC World Cup, and there's a 'mini World Cup' today in Chur, Switzerland; the OKK Revolution Series.
    Live on Red Bull TV:
    https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events/okk-bike-revolution-chur
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Good days for Evie & Tom!

TPs preparation races seem to have set him up well!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Some good racing on an interesting course. Going by the interview, it took Tom a while to get used to shorter, explosive racing - but hung on and attacked on the last climb to win well.

Evie was rather impressive; when she's on a good day, she's brilliant - after last season's problems she looks well in form for a successful season.
  • andyrac
    edited May 2023
    XC season kicks off this evening, with the new U23 Short Track. Sadly it doesn't look like it was covered live. A bit of a shame.

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I don't usually like the short track races too much but thought they were good today.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    The first two weren't originally down to ride; and got late call ups.

Tom joins a select group to win CX, XCO & XCC World Cups.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Always happy to see TomP win but even happier to see a good ride from Evie after her injury/sickness issues last year.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    andyrac said:

What's the difference between them? You know, so I can explain it to some chump.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrac
    RichN95. said:

andyrac said:

What's the difference between them? You know, so I can explain it to some chump.
    CX - Cyclocross World Cup, XCO - Cross Country Olympic World Cup, XCC - Short Track World Cup.
    (The other two riders are MvdP, and Evie)
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    RichN95. said:

andyrac said:

This might help.
    https://ucimtbworldseries.com/formats
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    andyrac said:

The first two weren't originally down to ride; and got late call ups.

Some ride that, not knowing you were going to ride so you do 3 hours before the race and start in last place on the grid.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    What a strange race. It was like a 4th cat car park crit.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • JBig
    JBig Posts: 3
    andyrac said:

RichN95. said:

andyrac said:

CX - Cyclocross World Cup, XCO - Cross Country Olympic World Cup, XCC - Short Track World Cup.
    (The other two riders are MvdP, and Evie)
    PFP?
  • andyrac
    No, she's never won a CX World Cup; 3rd is her best result. Similarly, Neff has two out of three, with a 2nd her best in a CX World Cup.
  • webboo
    andyrac said:

No, she's never won a CX World Cup; 3rd is her best result. Similarly, Neff has two out of three, with a 2nd her best in a CX World Cup.

Evie won the WC at Namur in 2017/18 season.
  • JBig
    JBig Posts: 3
    andyrac said:

Surprising, although being world champ in all three she probably deserves to be in this list ;-)
  • andyrac
    webboo said:

andyrac said:

Yes, I mentioned her along with MvdP. PFP has never won a CX World Cup (but has won CX Worlds).
  • webboo
    andyrac said:

webboo said:

andyrac said:

Yes, I mentioned her along with MvdP. PFP has never won a CX World Cup (but has won CX Worlds).
    Opps I read that wrong.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    gsk82 said:

What a strange race. It was like a 4th cat car park crit.

I watched the women’s to see what it was all about. Agree, it was terrible so didn’t bother with the men.
  • andyrac
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    What time does the men’s XCO kick off today?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ddraver
    Evie to the front...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited May 2023
    Flat tyre for Evie, just before the Tech Zone

epically slow change that still wasn't right.

Even the commissaire took pity and gave her a shove to get going

gutting
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Rear flat for Evie and took an age to change
  • ddraver
    Evie moving up the places, but not in time, stuck 30-ish seconds back
    - @ddraver