Milan San Remo 2023 **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Pog was in the red for a long time ..totally glued to WvA s wheel ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    No idea how Ganna recovered to come in second

He looked like he needed put on an oxygen tank coming off the Poggio.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

That 15 second effort mvdp has is insane. He's destroyed Pog here, Alaphilippe in Strade Bianche...

I do wonder if Ganna might have been able to follow him if he had not, quite understandably, chosen to stay on Pogacar’s wheel
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

[troll]Boonen never did that [/troll]

**points to 2005 Flanders**
  • RichN95. said:

That 15 second effort mvdp has is insane. He's destroyed Pog here, Alaphilippe in Strade Bianche...

I do wonder if Ganna might have been able to follow him if he had not, quite understandably, chosen to stay on Pogacar’s wheel
    Yeah, was hoping Ganna would go full TT mode once onto the flat, but he looked cooked. Amazing he beat the other 2 for second, but you have to wonder if he could have done that if they were racing for the win....
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • mididoctors
    Good tussle .... hopefully Ganna is top form for Roubaix....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    A more circumspect tireno paid off
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    Van der Poel's numbers in monuments are quite something. In 12 races he was on the podium 6 times and only once finished outside the top 10. Also it took him only 7 goes to get top 10's in all five.
  • RichN95.
    arnuf said:

Van der Poel's numbers in monuments are quite something. In 12 races he was on the podium 6 times and only once finished outside the top 10. Also it took him only 7 goes to get top 10's in all five.

Certainly ahead of Van Aert at this stage, maybe due to him being a more proactive rider
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

arnuf said:

Certainly ahead of Van Aert at this stage, maybe due to him being a more proactive rider
    MvdP is slightly stronger in one day and WvA is stronger in stage races.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Very much like how Pog races for everything, but it's such a relief that there are a few top class challengers to take stuff from him.
    Really good number of proper racers around just now.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    In France at the moment and couldn't find a feed... feel gutted to have missed that quartet battling it out... as already said... class.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

arnuf said:

I think he’s comfortably stronger. I’m not convinced that Van Aert will win three monuments that Van der Poel already has
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Will Van der Poel manage a triple of monuments this year?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Ganna going to be a handful in Paris Roubaix.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    I love the way Pogacar rips the race apart even when him winning isn't the most likely result.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

arnuf said:

I think he’s comfortably stronger. I’m not convinced that Van Aert will win three monuments that Van der Poel already has
    And despite WVA having the far stronger team to support him.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    WvA is marginally better at TTs because he works on them in training.
    WvA is better in the high mountains.
    In every other area, MvdP is stronger.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

arnuf said:

Van Aert a little unlucky with covid last spring and may not be up to speed yet after his recent illness. 6 weeks from now if nothing changes I’d agree with the above.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • tailwindhome

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    This finale is so.much better now they have got rid of the armada of press bikes on the poggio
  • tailwindhome
    Trentin letting the wheel go

Took everyone behind him out of the race

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Teamwork to perfection at that moment.
    That didn't work in the end. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    Pog just doesn't have the watts to deal with MVDP's brutality on a climb like the Poggio

• tailwindhome
    Enjoyed this write up of the race from Kate Wagner

https://escapecollective.cc/milan-san-remo-is-a-culmination/
  • tailwindhome
    The attack then brake into the hairpin was a bit odd from UAE?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

Pog just doesn't have the watts to deal with MVDP's brutality on a climb like the Poggio

Not from the front when mvdp is saving watts.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

The attack then brake into the hairpin was a bit odd from UAE?

That was my thought too.
    Surely the attack should have been made after the hairpin? Too predictable maybe.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

Enjoyed this write up of the race from Kate Wagner

https://escapecollective.cc/milan-san-remo-is-a-culmination/

Didn’t pozzato once refer to it as like tantric sex?
  • tailwindhome
    Great photo

Kinda wish Pidcock had been there to make up a 5