thursday with just a smidge of laudanum

2»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    pinno said:

webboo said:

Warm up ride done. Isn't much flat here.

Shirley that bikes not safe for somewhere hilly, it hasn’t got dinner plates round the hubs.
    Maybe Beans isn't a snowflake sucked in by marketing.
    He's an accountant so he likes living dangerously :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Rim brakes and a big bloke descending 😱
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    edited March 2023
    pinno said:

webboo said:

Shirley that bikes not safe for somewhere hilly, it hasn’t got dinner plates round the hubs.
    I have discs at home. Rims feel different, but still stop you and slow you down. Even a big bloke like me.
  • veronese68

pinno said:

webboo said:

I have discs at home. Rims feel different, but still stop you and slow you down. Even a big bloke like me.
    Indeed, but I won't let that stop me extracting the urine. Still prefer discs on a soggy commute.
  • Stevo_666

pinno said:

webboo said:

Indeed, but I won't let that stop me extracting the urine. Still prefer discs on a soggy commute.
    I reckon he'll be OK in The Canaries, but yep discs have saved my bacon a few times on wet communts.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Long day in offices down the toll road, then met some pals for a run that turned out to be rather short 🙄

Followed by pub but being good I just had a water, now chilling in the hot tub, when I say chilling, it’s set to 39 degrees
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862

Looks a nice place - enjoy your well deserved break
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

I reckon he'll be OK in The Canaries, but yep discs have saved my bacon a few times on wet communts.
    Do you ride to work down some alpine pass.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2023
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

It's more about cars and vans pulling up sharpish in front of you on the London commute.
  • webboo
    I guess as a downhill mountain bike punter you never learnt group riding skills.
  • veronese68
    webboo said:

I guess as a downhill mountain bike punter you never learnt group riding skills.

It's more the drivers and podestrians that haven't learnt any riding skills that are the problem.
    Frustrating thing about discs in the wet is they are noisy when you don't want them to be, but if someone steps out in front of you they are quiet as a mouse.
  • Stevo_666

webboo said:

It's more the drivers and podestrians that haven't learnt any riding skills that are the problem.
    Frustrating thing about discs in the wet is they are noisy when you don't want them to be, but if someone steps out in front of you they are quiet as a mouse.
    Beat me to it. I guess Webby hasn't had the joys of the London commute on a bike.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401

webboo said:

I normally play a tune with my squeaky disk brakes just to be extra annoying.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

It's more about cars and vans pulling us sharpish in front of you on the London commute.
    Ride with disks now for the extra tyre clearance but never had a problem with rim brakes, as long as I was using swisstop or koolstop pads. Maybe my slim frame doesn’t require extra stopping power. 😃
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

It's more about cars and vans pulling us sharpish in front of you on the London commute.
    Ride with disks now for the extra tyre clearance but never had a problem with rim brakes, as long as I was using swisstop or koolstop pads. Maybe my slim frame doesn’t require extra stopping power. 😃
    Isn't that offset by the extra weight of your head? :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

This ^.

They hurtled down alpine passes in the TdF without disc brakes not so long ago.
    Very very few deaths whilst descending. Most, vehicle related (funny dat).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_racing_cyclists_and_pacemakers_with_a_cycling-related_death

Anyhoo, it has become natural for me to feather the brakes in the wet constantly and instinctively.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

My head is light and hollow, with no excess baggage 👍
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Beat me to it. I guess Webby hasn't had the joys of the London commute on a bike.
    I have ridden in London at a place called Eastway, rode a Peter Fryer when it was the National vets road race series. I was in a break for 40 miles.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

My head is light and hollow, with no excess baggage 👍
    :D