US politics and stuff

1235»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    Other than the infertility and mutilations, this is all getting a bit Handmaid's Tale.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969

rjsterry said:

...and I'm the one who gets accused of snobbery about the countryside.

How is that snobbery? Small changes are much more noticeable in a small community and people are generally nervous of change. It took my folks about a decade to settle in to their new home.
    How is that countryside?
    What, in Bredon's Norton? It's on the edge of the Cotswold AONB,so I think it qualifies. Also passes the cowshit test.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Friend of mine who moved to an Atlanta suburb needed a whole year for the neighbours to accept that he was okay and didn't need or want to go to church.

Seems pretty quick by UK village standards. 'The new people' = family that moved in a decade ago.
    No. The point was someone knocked on his door every Sunday to check he was okay as he hadn’t attended church. I’m sure he is still considered an outsider, suits him too.
    Ah, fair enough. The equivalent for my folks was being expected to attend the various village events and being given a funny look when they said thanks but no thanks.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Other than the infertility and mutilations, this is all getting a bit Handmaid's Tale.

Why do you think she set the story over the border?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

How is that snobbery? Small changes are much more noticeable in a small community and people are generally nervous of change. It took my folks about a decade to settle in to their new home.
    How is that countryside?
    What, in Bredon's Norton? It's on the edge of the Cotswold AONB,so I think it qualifies. Also passes the cowshit test.
    Sorry, thought we were talking about Norwich.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495

Fairly standard for America isn't it?

Yebbut... it'll be interesting to see how much they do try to challenge the separation of church and state, and how complaint the Supreme Court will be in the challenges. It feels rather like this is the scenario the evangelical right have been looking to engineer for a long time to turn the US into an outwardly Christian nation.
    I always think it interesting that a significant proportion of the flag shagging republican demographic deplore and despise the gun toting religious fundamentalists in Iran, Afghanistan, Palestine (choose from a selection of a middle eastern states) who threaten their "freedom" whilst being gun toting religious fundamentalists themselves
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

How is that countryside?
    Sorry, thought we were talking about Norwich.
    surely we can all agree that Norwich is in the Sticks but is not the countryside
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372

Fascinating how the Alabama Supreme Court decision that an in vitro embro is actually a human will pan out. As it stands, destroying an embryo will be classed as murder.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

"Even before birth, all human beings have the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory."

Said one of the judges...

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Yay. Religion trumping Science.

That's worked so well in the past...............

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    edited February 22

Not really the context to discuss it but having spent some time on a very high end NICU, it's really remarkable how successfully we can keep very premature babies alive. I can't remember the exact dates but one child I think was something like 22 weeks when born, which is still within the abortion period here in the UK.

Find it interesting how in the UK the discussion is really to push the abortion limit out to more well-cooked babies when at the same time medical care is improving all the time and making earlier and earlier born babies genuinely viable (for want of a better term).

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,044

yet they're ok with executing criminals by suffocating them, or using slow painful chemical methods and leaving the poor to die of treatable medical conditions

it's just another move in the religious right's relentless campaign to outlaw abortion under any circumstances

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

Remarkable how, as soon as monotheistic religions get extreme they become misogynist.

• sungod
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    edited February 22

Wonder how long it will be before they take the Catholic attitude to masturbation and make it law?

It's mass murder so it is.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    edited February 22

Well, if the Heritage Foundation has anything to do with it, non-procreational sex would be outlawed. Seriously. I think that in their minds rape is fine as long as a baby is the result. Preferably a white one.

• sungod

the usa (at federal and state level) enacted what came to be known as 'comstock laws'** way back, among other things these made it illegal to post/transport just about anything relating to sex, including birth control measures and even information about birth control

eventually some bits were repealed, the rest are still on the books, though not enforced either because it would be unreasonable in a free society, or because bits were deemed unconstitutional

it's abundantly clear that the right has no interest in free society, and what was declared unconstitutional yesterday can be declared ok today - this is what happened with roe vs wade, all thanks to the right wing extremists that trump packed the supreme court with

goes to show, a free society leaving bad laws on the books, and simply choosing to not enforce them, is dangerous, one day someone repressive will find them useful, and they'll use them to the utmost extent

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comstock_laws

• First.Aspect

.thing about the US is that it's a nation when it wants to be and a collection of independent states when it suits. So this creeping hard right religious extremism will cause some.hand wringing in California or New York, but their voters will think, nah, won't happen here.

• rjsterry

Yeah.

Good luck fighting against basic human behaviour.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673

I vaguely recall a story about a guy being sent to prison because during divorce proceedings it came out that he had performed oral sex on his wife. He was released after an appeal when it was pointed out that having anal sex with a dead donkey in the middle of the town square would have a shorter jail term than oral sex between consenting adults in the privacy of their marital home.

• briantrumpet

Won't stop the nutjobs putting consenting adults in prison, to own the libs.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Not sure that discussing the Israel - Gaza peace deal whilst eating an ice cream gives the best look. I would have thought the PR people would have had it wait until after he’d done the ice cream thing.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,015

It was a ploy to see if they could make him dribble.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,015

A ripple of applause there..

• briantrumpet

If you want an illustration of just how sick US politics and the GOP are, prepare for your jaw to drop... actually wanting to put guns back into the hands of veterans who have been judged too mentally ill to have them...

• briantrumpet

Dems having quite a bit of fun at Robert Hur's expense (he wrote the report that implied he was only exonerated because of his failing memory):

They've been helped by the full transcripts of his interviews with Biden being released, which are undermining his pejorative summary (e.g., Biden did remember the year of death of his son correctly).

• stenman
    stenman Posts: 1

The United States was created to avoid the Royal Proclamation of 1763 that forbade anyone settling west of the Appalachian mountains. This was a big deal as men including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were gain in wealth by having soldiers massacre Native Americans and then having a survey done of their lands and selling them for profit. At the time of this proclamation both of these men had surveys underway.

The government charter was designed to insure the rule of the few wealthy landowners and avoid anything resembling a democracy where the rabble could vote. It was well designed and why the minority rule has prevailed in the USA for the past 250 years. It is why a Hilary Clinton with millions more votes could lose to Donald Trump.

As Gore Vidal observed "It makes no difference who you vote for - the two parties are really one party representing four percent of the people."