Hip Replacement

2»

Comments

• molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Ditto Webboo! That made me laugh!
    Snoring was definitely worse with the hip with the focus being on your back …. Not so bad with the knee… but my wife did de- camp a couple of nights ago with the snoring 💤 none the less!
    I’m not a snorer in normal times, but it’s just being on your back that seems to do it!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My snoring is rather heavy going. The wife reckons you can probably hear it in the next village. She reckoned I had sleep apnoea as thinks I stop breathing at times. I did the test even though I don’t fit the profile, they said that they would contact me after the test if I had it but I never heard anything. I can snore laid on my side with my mouth shut apparently.
  • baroid
    baroid Posts: 87
    Hi, had my first physio last Wednesday and a couple of out comes from it. He worked on my knee that has been causing problems as apparently it had become stiff due to a different gait. This has really helped, knee is still a bit sore sometimes but nowhere as near as bad as it was before. Also worked on big toe for the same reason.

He doesn't want me to go out on the bike yet but can do the turbo! So I am going to give it another week or 10 days before going out, it doesn't matter much as weather is not great.

I am averaging 5 hours on the turbo and 2 gym sessions a week plus my physio exercises every morning.

I am finding the turbo uncomfortable and have tied 3 different saddles and 2 different bikes. I assume it is because my peddling action has changed or because I am putting less force on the peddles and hence more weight on the saddle.

How are you doing Molteni_man and Webboo.
  • webboo
    I’m doing alright I feel. I did 50 miles last Sunday and I did some intervals out on the road today. I had hoped to do more riding this week but it’s been too windy for me. So I’ve climbed a couple of times, done a 2 and half walk plus some weight training including deadlifts.
    I’m stiffer and more sore after doing things than I remember being before. But once I get moving or do my exercises I’m fine. My range of movement keeps increasing and is much better than pre op.
  • molteni_man
    Hi baroid and Webboo! Great to hear you are both doing well. You are both making v good progress.
    I got someone to film me on my phone as I pedalled baroid and also look at my overall stance. This revealed I had developed a slight lean to the left I guess as compensation for the weaker side. By focusing on it I was able to correct and also as power returned to my right leg.
    Your strength is really returning Webboo - fantastic!
    It will be great when some decent weather returns.
    I’m doing fine - I’ll post fully on the knee replacement thread… but in brief I posted my first 5 min Wattbike ‘ ride’ on Strava yesterday . 5 weeks and 3 days since op.Have managed to bring the saddle down further so now about 2 cm higher than normal… and on a good day can get pedalling full circles almost straight away.
    Keep the updates coming and glad things are progressing! BW.
  • baroid
    10 weeks since my THR operation and I am finding things frustratingly slow. I am at where I expected to be after 6 weeks but maybe I over estimated my recovery.

I am still walking with a slight limp and can go up and down stairs normally, although I tend to hold on going down stairs. Cannot put my sock on or tie my show lace and my wife is getting good at doing these.

I have done four 2 hour rides outside; one on a road bike and the others on a mountain bike, which I have just brought. These rides have been done on flat pedals as I don't currently have the confidence to use clip in pedals. I have practice clipping in and out on the turbo and think I will switch in the next couple of rides. On the road bike I found it a bit of a stretch to ride on the hoods so have flipped the stem and tilted the bars a bit. Still using the turbo if weather is not good and going to the gym for upper body twice a week.

Had 2 physio sessions and they have helped to loosen me up. Do physio exercises for 15 minutes every morning and they help to get me going.

Aiming to do a club cycle challenge of 40 miles before the end of the month and feel this is well within my capability.

Everyone keep safe and rubber side down, not like me.
  • webboo
    Has the physio said why you are making a slow recovery.
    The only physio I had was the day after the op when they gave me some exercises and did the walking assessment.
    I’m still do my exs at least twice a day I thought I might stop next week when I’m 12 weeks post op as I’m now doing my stretching regime I used to do pre op and I can now touch my toes.
    I’ve ridden 65 miles three times and I’m also doing intervals out on the road. I can now do dead lifts again which I was unable to do pre op as I couldn’t lower bar back down.
    I get the occasional bit of muscle stiffness following when I’ve pushed it a bit but otherwise everything is fine.
    At times I forget that I’ve just had my hip replaced and need to remind myself to be careful.
  • molteni_man
    baroid said:

10 weeks since my THR operation and I am finding things frustratingly slow. I am at where I expected to be after 6 weeks but maybe I over estimated my recovery.

I am still walking with a slight limp and can go up and down stairs normally, although I tend to hold on going down stairs. Cannot put my sock on or tie my show lace and my wife is getting good at doing these.

I have done four 2 hour rides outside; one on a road bike and the others on a mountain bike, which I have just brought. These rides have been done on flat pedals as I don't currently have the confidence to use clip in pedals. I have practice clipping in and out on the turbo and think I will switch in the next couple of rides. On the road bike I found it a bit of a stretch to ride on the hoods so have flipped the stem and tilted the bars a bit. Still using the turbo if weather is not good and going to the gym for upper body twice a week.

Had 2 physio sessions and they have helped to loosen me up. Do physio exercises for 15 minutes every morning and they help to get me going.

Aiming to do a club cycle challenge of 40 miles before the end of the month and feel this is well within my capability.

Everyone keep safe and rubber side down, not like me.

Hey Baroid,
    I think you are doing really well especially getting outdoors. Had a look at my thread re my hip replacement and you are definitely doing well / ahead of where I was at Week 10. Remember you are still in danger of dislocation so don’t push it too much… it does come back!

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13073435/just-had-hip-replacement-any-advice-please/p1

Like you I am frustrated with my recovery( with the TKR). I had a great day yesterday here in Cornwall on holiday . I walked 3 miles on the North coast ( on a good path) and then went out and did over 10 miles with a couple of steepish short bits on the Brompton. TOO MUCH and have paid the price for it today unfortunately! Taking it very easy currently with leg up. Very frustrating! Think have to remember that everyone heals differently.
    BW
  • baroid
    Hi Webboo, you are doing really well I guess we all recover at different rates. I think I am a bit older than you at 71, also my physio does seem very cautious but he has a lot of experience with athletes. Also I have been in no rush to get outside as I occasionally have flash backs of the crash. Do you race or belong to a club?

Molteni_man, very easy to over do it as I guess you have a completive streak even if it is with yourself. Rest up and don't over do it. To walk 3 miles sounds very good to me, that's I thing I cut back on as soon as I could get on the turbo and think that might have been a mistake.

Take care both

• webboo
    I haven’t raced for about 20 years and I’m no longer a member of a club although most of my mates are still in one.
    I forgot to mention I still walk most days as we are looking after my daughters dogs while she’s in Brunei, so I do about 40 minutes a day.
  • molteni_man
    Baroid- it was definitely the walking with the hip replacement that I found to be the best …. and I still don’t like roundabouts after my crash on one when it happened!
    The dog walking sounds just right Webboo.
  • baroid
    Hi, it’s been 15 weeks since my hip replacement so thought I would do an update. The last 4 weeks I have average 10 hours cycling split between Road bike, Mountain bike and turbo. The longest ride has been 4 hours but at a very slow speed; 56 miles and 2600 feet of elevation. My cadence is slightly less than before but can manage spells of 100rpm and hold 90rpm for long periods where before this would have been about 95rpm. My resting heart rate still seems slight high, about 4bpm higher than before. Still doing at least 1 gym session per week mainly for upper body but have started some work on my bad leg. My biggest issue is with flexibility as still cannot put my sock on or tie my shoelaces. The lack of flexibility means I cannot ride my best road bike as too long and low at the front which gives me a stuttering pedal stroke at the top of the stroke. I do use this bike on the turbo where I can just rest my hands on the tops. To help rectify this have just ordered a shorter stem which I will flip to give a more upright position. I can unclip OK but have trouble clipping in as don’t seem to be aware where my foot is in relation to the pedals. I have an unbalanced power output between my legs, I think, but last few rides it seems to be getting better.

Ride Safe.
  • molteni_man
    edited May 2023
    baroid said:

Hi, it’s been 15 weeks since my hip replacement so thought I would do an update. The last 4 weeks I have average 10 hours cycling split between Road bike, Mountain bike and turbo. The longest ride has been 4 hours but at a very slow speed; 56 miles and 2600 feet of elevation. My cadence is slightly less than before but can manage spells of 100rpm and hold 90rpm for long periods where before this would have been about 95rpm. My resting heart rate still seems slight high, about 4bpm higher than before. Still doing at least 1 gym session per week mainly for upper body but have started some work on my bad leg. My biggest issue is with flexibility as still cannot put my sock on or tie my shoelaces. The lack of flexibility means I cannot ride my best road bike as too long and low at the front which gives me a stuttering pedal stroke at the top of the stroke. I do use this bike on the turbo where I can just rest my hands on the tops. To help rectify this have just ordered a shorter stem which I will flip to give a more upright position. I can unclip OK but have trouble clipping in as don’t seem to be aware where my foot is in relation to the pedals. I have an unbalanced power output between my legs, I think, but last few rides it seems to be getting better.

Ride Safe.

Hey Baroid,
    Thank you for your post on my knee replacement thread. Your best wishes are always appreciated- thank you!
    The four hour ride sounds awesome… you are getting are there, and are also realistic about how to achieve it too.
    A couple of thoughts and memories of mine which might help;
    * I got someone to watch me ride both indoors and outdoors- they even filmed me indoors. I had a very slight lean to the right, the leg which needed the hip replacement, being able to view this/ hear this helped me to focus and really concentrate on riding upright. I also used the Wattbike in the gym to allow me to measure the difference in power between the legs. The metrics on the display/ app are super helpful for technique.. and it was super motivating to watch the power return to my right leg until I was consistently 50 / 50. ( I have done this with the knee replacement too as now own my own Atom but with the setbacks described in my own post this has been less important.
    * 15 weeks is still short so watch for the ongoing threat of dislocation. I can’t remember when I was able to do this, but like the other elements it does eventually come.

Keep updating- it will be useful for those in the future- there’s certainly quite a few cyclists who do break hips unfortunately.

PS - have you had a bone density scan? I had one to investigate why my hip broke so badly. Mine revealed some osteoporosis unfortunately….. and led to the discovery of hyper parathyroidism which was causing it - luckily now sorted by a brilliant NHS doctor.
    Don’t want to be alarming but might be worth asking for one if not already done? Just for peace of mind.

Above all good luck with your ongoing recovery!
  • webboo
    So I’m about 16 weeks post op. I was doing well till I got some sort of cold or virus, I still coughing up mucous 3 weeks later. I’ve done few group rides with a group who go out on Wednesdays. I struggle a bit holding wheels especially going round left hand bends which is my repaired side, I’m ok with hills and distance. One thing I notice pushing off from standing I find awkward as I always put my left foot down when I stop. Another thing when I ride on my own I tend to ride with my hands in the middle of the bars. I’ve noticed this doesn’t feel the same and I’m now more comfortable riding on the hoods. I’m not sure whether this is due to be able to get lower since the op.
    I do get the odd twinge/ pain usually when I twist without thinking and I still get the muscle soreness or it’s the scar tissue pulling. I’ve heard it can take up to a year for everything to get back to normal.
    The wife says I limp at times but I don’t really notice this unless I’m walking after a long ride.
    Baroid it sounds like you are getting there. I can only pedal at 95/100 on the turbo when I have the cadence sensor. My natural cadence is lower especially going up hill and I find even if I use really low gears I still pedal at the same revs. So I tend to just grind it out.
    I too used struggle to get my foot in my pedal back in, I couldn’t get the bend in my leg. That’s not an issue now.
    Keep the faith.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    Sleep on your good side with a pillow between your legs.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    pinno said:

I don’t have a good side these days😉
  • pinno
    webboo said:

pinno said:

Buy that's more mental than physical.
  • webboo
    pinno said:

webboo said:

pinno said:

So I sleep on my own hip side I wake up with pins and needles in my arm. I sleep on my plastic/ metal hip side and I get a bit shock/jolt. I sleep on my back and I get a sharp pain in my ribs 🥊
  • pinno
    webboo said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

pinno said:

So I sleep on my own hip side I wake up with pins and needles in my arm. I sleep on my plastic/ metal hip side and I get a bit shock/jolt. I sleep on my back and I get a sharp pain in my ribs 🥊
    There's only one solution: bring out your inner ape and learn to sleep on a tyre suspended by a rope.
  • webboo
    pinno said:

webboo said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

pinno said:

There's only one solution: bring out your inner ape and learn to sleep on a tyre suspended by a rope.
    Or I suppose I could put up a portaledge in the garage and pretend I’m on a big wall somewhere.