Old Man thinking of buying Wattbike or stages SB20

Comments

• hpaul said:

I thought about a smart bike but couldn't justify. If my wife gets into it then I probably will go for one. She only rides outdoors atm.

Mrs W&G had a Taxc smart trainer for a couple of years but was never wholly happy with it given the amount faffing needed to set it up, connectivity issues and the amount of flexing between the bike and trainer when doing sprints etc. I had a cranky old Cyclops trainer which was probably obsolete technology when I bought it in 2012.

Given the almost infinite scope for adjusting for size/position of rider, the WattBike was essentially two new turbos for the price of one. And the economics became even more favourable when my eldest daughter took up cycling. Youngest daughter, primarily a swimmer, also dabbles during pool closures. (As an aside, it's a shame she doesn't like riding on the road as she has a scary w/kg at her disposal.) Four turbos for the price of one is compelling economics!

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156

....Four turbos for the price of one is compelling economics!

Glad it worked out for you but one turbo and four bikes would have achieved the same with the faff being changing bikes instead of positions. Assuming there are four bikes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Glad it worked out for you but one turbo and four bikes would have achieved the same with the faff being changing bikes instead of positions. Assuming there are four bikes.
    Should have mentioned that the old trainer was a direct drive job!

But even so, the adjustments from rider-to-rider on the WattBike are implemented in less than 30 seconds, and per Mrs W&G, the ride experience is in a different league to the Tacx smart trainer. (I can't comment as I never used the Tacx.)
  • oldspoke
    oldspoke Posts: 11
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

But even so, the adjustments from rider-to-rider on the WattBike are implemented in less than 30 seconds, and per Mrs W&G, the ride experience is in a different league to the Tacx smart trainer. (I can't comment as I never used the Tacx.)
    But some people can take wheels off really quickly :smile:

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Not questioning the bold part, just simply curious as I have a Neo 2T. Different league in what way? Position should be locked in and the 2T is supposedly as good as you can get.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    I see the wahoo bike at 2300 atm, I wouldn't pay 2399 for a wattbike. I was on the fence at 1999, I think It may have even been at 1799 for a while.

I've a fenix 3(possibly changing very shortly, may discuss on a separate thread)but all my other stuff is wahoo, their customer service is second to none imo.

I did try to persuade my wife to let me buy it for her/me really. But it was a poor attempt to justify it😁 I just don't know where the £400 came from on the wattbike, in a market which has crashed since covid as well.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Think you cant get the wahoo bike for £2100 now (as you can the wattbike with minimal effort tbh). Its the size of the wahoo bike that pretty much rules it out - the existing spin bike I have is manageable - just - and the wattbike has the smallest footprint. It does get wall to wall good reviews though.

Anyway a fellow club member has agreed to let me have a dabble on his v1 wattbike tonight see how I go.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    I honestly thought the wattbike was bigger. I seen the stages for £1399 and was seriously tempted. But as you say some really poor experiences. Dc rainmaker and lama liked it OK though.

It's a serious expense so you want to get it right. My friend sold the wattbike v1 as he didn't like the gears. Try before you buy is great if its available. The gears worry me as I sweat an embarrassing amount, shocking actually.

I look forward to your review on what ever you choose.
  • Aren't Wahoo looking shaky financially, as a company? Support, software upgrades, all that stuff...

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • kingrollo
    hpaul said:

I honestly thought the wattbike was bigger. I seen the stages for £1399 and was seriously tempted. But as you say some really poor experiences. Dc rainmaker and lama liked it OK though.

It's a serious expense so you want to get it right. My friend sold the wattbike v1 as he didn't like the gears. Try before you buy is great if its available. The gears worry me as I sweat an embarrassing amount, shocking actually.

I look forward to your review on what ever you choose.

Im going by footprint - but the wahoo in those measurements is quite a bit bigger - makes sense if its doing its up down thing.

Trouble with reviews is they seem to have support on tap - and of course are used to fiddling about with things - to your average user contacting support is quite a big deal - where as to those guys it isn't.

• kingrollo

Aren't Wahoo looking shaky financially, as a company? Support, software upgrades, all that stuff...

Dunno - its a viable product (s) - so even if that were true I think someone would step in and take them over rather than them going to the wall.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

Aren't Wahoo looking shaky financially, as a company? Support, software upgrades, all that stuff...

As most tech companies yet to turn a profit their cash burn is horrendous. Rumours are just that though.

Using a credit card for the purchase means the card provider is jointly and separately liable for the guarantee.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • kingrollo
    slowmart said:

As most tech companies yet to turn a profit their cash burn is horrendous. Rumours are just that though.

Using a credit card for the purchase means the card provider is jointly and separately liable for the guarantee.

I think the point was if you get a lemon - you are stuck without support should they go bump. Unlikely imo.
  • oldspoke said:

pblakeney said:

But some people can take wheels off really quickly :smile:

Not me!
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Not questioning the bold part, just simply curious as I have a Neo 2T. Different league in what way? Position should be locked in and the 2T is supposedly as good as you can get.
    Two things really, though I'm only going off Mrs W&G's comments:
    1 - Not as smooth - the TACX felt like there was a shonky bearing in the hub somewhere.
    2 - Longer lag to react to what Zwift was showing on-screen

The Tacx was also louder, though that's irrelevant other than to our neighbours as we all turbo to something on headphones.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Two things really, though I'm only going off Mrs W&G's comments:
    1 - Not as smooth - the TACX felt like there was a shonky bearing in the hub somewhere.
    2 - Longer lag to react to what Zwift was showing on-screen

The Tacx was also louder, though that's irrelevant other than to our neighbours as we all turbo to something on headphones.
    Interesting.
    1. Assuming there was nothing wrong then it'll be the gap in the magnets. That was improved in the Neo 2T. I'm assuming it was an older/lower model.
    2. That can be an app option. I've got mine set to 3 seconds to smooth out transitions as some rides can change gradient/resistance too abruptly if set at zero.
    3. Noise shouldn't be an issue. Mine is much quieter than the fan, negligible in fact.

I'm assuming technology will move on in 3 years so just curious what I could gain by upgrading. Not enough as yet imo.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I’ve now done over 11, 000 miles on mine and think I paid somewhere around the £1700 mark or certainly of that ilk… and that was with a discount so certainly always worth waiting for - they always used to do the TdF. ( Purchased the Pro in the same manner)
    One of the pluses with the Wattbike is the excellent customer service. Some of you will have noted I had a problem with a seized bolt on the handlebar adjuster bolt and they were superb in sending me a replacement v quickly. My sweat had caused it despite having greased it - need to do it regularly!)
    There’s very little maintenance needed - just regularly cleaning it and I hoover under to remove dust as advised.
    Design wise the old Pro was better to adjust for different people- generally it’s just me who uses mine, but my son moved back in for six months or so before emigrating with his work so we were both using. The saddle height and handlebar height adjustments are v easy to change it’s the reach adjustment which would benefit from the same design.
    The handlebar grips aren’t perfect and benefit from a regular wash in soapy water as they can slip.I actually won £150 when they ran a survey which I filled out for them - it was good to see that someone does actually win these prizes! I think they are aware of these issues and I do wonder if the next model will address these whenever it may come out.
    Otherwise, they are rugged machines - mine lives out in the garage and looks as good as new still. I stuck a different saddle on it , but the original is pretty good- my wife did use it for a while and complained, but has now reverted to Spin classes.
    As before, I like the benefit of just being able to jump on and the rock solid feel. I tried my friend’s Kickr Core and just felt the bike moved around too much - still not convinced it was set up properly but he says it is!
  • pblakeney said:

3. Noise shouldn't be an issue. Mine is much quieter than the fan, negligible in fact.

Tacx (Garmin now I think) Customer Service assured us that it should be really quiet too but it wasn't. They agreed to send a replacement, but with pandemic "supply chain issues" we gave up waiting and got the WattBike which, tbh, I was likely to get anyway even if it had just been for me.

• kingrollo
    Tried to wattbike V1 last night at friends house. couldn't quite beleive how compact it was - rode really nice . Guess I will be taking the plunge in due course.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    kingrollo said:

Tried to wattbike V1 last night at friends house. couldn't quite beleive how compact it was - rode really nice . Guess I will be taking the plunge in due course.

Do I know you?
    GDW?
    MH's wattbike?
  • kingrollo

kingrollo said:

Do I know you?
    GDW?
    MH's wattbike?
    Don't think so.

Those mean nothing to me.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    kingrollo said:

kingrollo said:

Do I know you?
    GDW?
    MH's wattbike?
    Don't think so.

Those mean nothing to me.
    Fair does! Someone I know tried out a mutual friend's Wattbike this week hence the possible association!
  • Hey again Kingrollo,
    By chance an email dropped in to me from Wattbike offering friends £150 off the Wattbike if I referred them. Is this any use to you if you do go ahead and get one. I think you were talking about £250 off so this is probably not such a good deal and I anticipate it probably couldn’t be used in conjunction with any other offer?
    For referring I would be given £50 of Wattbike products of my choice ( I don’t need anything in particular so you could have that too if the offer was useful.
    Let me know if any use to you.
    BW
  • kingrollo

Hey again Kingrollo,
    By chance an email dropped in to me from Wattbike offering friends £150 off the Wattbike if I referred them. Is this any use to you if you do go ahead and get one. I think you were talking about £250 off so this is probably not such a good deal and I anticipate it probably couldn’t be used in conjunction with any other offer?
    For referring I would be given £50 of Wattbike products of my choice ( I don’t need anything in particular so you could have that too if the offer was useful.
    Let me know if any use to you.
    BW

Thank you for this.

however I have now pulled the trigger on a lightly used Atom V2 - but thanks all the same.
  • however I have now pulled the trigger on a lightly used Atom V2 - but thanks all the same.

Good stuff KR, we all now expect you to be pushing out 5 w/kg by July with all this interval training you can now do!
  • kingrollo

however I have now pulled the trigger on a lightly used Atom V2 - but thanks all the same.

Good stuff KR, we all now expect you to be pushing out 5 w/kg by July with all this interval training you can now do!
    I don't even know what that means ! - so I doubt it
  • I don't even know what that means ! - so I doubt it

It would mean you would be far fitter than the rest of us! Seriously though, you have made a good decision I think, enjoy the Wattbike!
  • Good news kingrollo.
    Let us know what your impressions are when you get it and have had a few rides.
  • kingrollo
    OK collection night tonight - will the atom fit in a hatchback car with the seats folded down ?

or will I have to take bits off ?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo said:

OK collection night tonight - will the atom fit in a hatchback car with the seats folded down ?

or will I have to take bits off ?

It fitted !