Old Man thinking of buying Wattbike or stages SB20

I reach my 60th year soon - as a pretty poor asthmatic in terms of lung capacity not attacks - I know I'm never going to be the fastest cyclist.
But anyway Mrs KR has offered to make a hefty contribution to a wattbike and I quite fancied a dabble at zwift.
Ive tried turbos before - but being in the garage, loading the bike up, synching the damm thing - it was just to much trouble - and then the wifi would drop !

Just wonder if the investment in a wattbike is a bit daft considering my age and aspirations. I don't cycle in the dark since I got knocked off a few years back (not injured)

Any thoughts

Or feedback on wattbike or the more nicely priced Stages SB20 (£1699)

Comments

• Hey Kingrollo,
    I’m 58 ( and a half!) and have a Wattbike Atom having previously owned the Wattbike Pro.
    Do it! You will not regret getting one. Simple to set up each and every time links with Zwift seamlessly. Super solid and has a really good fit v similar to the road bike.
    It’s a strong and reliable bit of kit that really will all you to work on your fitness.
    I use Zwift with the Wattbike and enjoy the group rides, the pacers and events such as the current Tour de Zwift.
    I’m just about to undergo a full right knee replacement unfortunately next week, ( severe arthritis) but the Wattbike will be a key part of my recovery programme enabling me to get movement back in to it.
    Do get a decent fan, ideally with a remote control, and a large screen enhances the immersive experience very well. Sits out in my garage and after 3 years use still looks as good as new.
    Just shout if any questions. BW
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198

Hey Kingrollo,
    I’m 58 ( and a half!) and have a Wattbike Atom having previously owned the Wattbike Pro.
    Do it! You will not regret getting one. Simple to set up each and every time links with Zwift seamlessly. Super solid and has a really good fit v similar to the road bike.
    It’s a strong and reliable bit of kit that really will all you to work on your fitness.
    I use Zwift with the Wattbike and enjoy the group rides, the pacers and events such as the current Tour de Zwift.
    I’m just about to undergo a full right knee replacement unfortunately next week, ( severe arthritis) but the Wattbike will be a key part of my recovery programme enabling me to get movement back in to it.
    Do get a decent fan, ideally with a remote control, and a large screen enhances the immersive experience very well. Sits out in my garage and after 3 years use still looks as good as new.

Cheers do you have the v1 or the next gen ?

Would you think buying used a worthwhile saving ?
  • Have toyed with the idea of a Wattbike on and off for a while but don't use a turbo enough to justify it. My mate has a first gen and loves it.

If I was buying, would definitely look at 2nd hand, there are always plenty knocking about on ebay, I suspect it is people who bought one with good intentions and then never used them, most tend to look pretty immaculate. Only slight issue is many seem to want to claw back virtually what they originally paid for it!
  • Considering your age?
    I don't understand you Brits... at 55 you have already moved to a retirement flat, at 60 you have already planned your funeral and at 70 you are surprised you are still alive...
    With this attitude, it is no wonder care homes make a roaring trade.

Buy the fuxxing thing, NOW!
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    A diversion but......
    It's not the amount of days in your life that count, it's the amount of life in your days.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Think you’ve hit a nerve Kingrollo 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I bought a WattBike nearly 2 years ago. It's an Atom NG. (I think.)

Great piece of kit, and as observed above, links reliably to Zwift. I tend to just do the pre-set routes (or the "QuickRide" on the WattBike app, which is not a great app, but has lots of numbers to look at, which I like) but Mrs W&G and Elder Daughter like the training sets. Friends swear by the group rides (where you can select your preferred pace) and the races but I've not found the need for these.

Ugo said it best. Just do it! (Or was that Nike?)
  • kingrollo said:

Hey Kingrollo,

Cheers do you have the v1 or the next gen ?

Would you think buying used a worthwhile saving ?
    Hi again,
    I got the next gen model. I went for brand new as it hadn’t been out long. I think I would go brand new again as I managed to sell my Pro model at a good price so they seem to hold their money well. The delivery etc from Wattbike was managed well.
  • Considering your age?
    I don't understand you Brits... at 55 you have already moved to a retirement flat, at 60 you have already planned your funeral and at 70 you are surprised you are still alive...

I think the OP is more deliberating over the price and the amount of use etc rather than age per se Ugo. I know you’ve been deliberating over the Bianchi and like all of these things it’s worth weighing pros and cons up …. half of the fun of being into cycling is deliberating over the possible next purchase! Ultimately, I think most of us on here are pretty impulsive once they’ve done their research- I know I am!
    Now where’s the link to the beautiful Cervelo Soloist I’ve been looking at and which bike might I sell!
    PS Give us some feedback on the Sprint when you get it - looks like an interesting and good choice!
  • kingrollo
    edited February 2023
    seanoconn said:

Indeed. I haven't posted for a while. See that @ugo.santalucia still knows more about anything and everything tham anyone else.

Close the thread mods.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    When the kickr bike and neo bike first launched I did contemplate getting one to replace my kickr. But the more I thought about it the more I realised there wasn't much point - they offer nothing extra than the kickr (or high end trainer) other than being easier to adjust - something which wasn't relevant as only I would be using it. So couldn't justify the cost.

My advice would be to go high end smart trainer over the extra for the bike, unless it will be used by several riders (ie family etc).
  • Considering your age?

I think the OP is more deliberating over the price and the amount of use etc rather than age per se Ugo. I know you’ve been deliberating over the Bianchi and like all of these things it’s worth weighing pros and cons up …. half of the fun of being into cycling is deliberating over the possible next purchase! Ultimately, I think most of us on here are pretty impulsive once they’ve done their research- I know I am!
    Now where’s the link to the beautiful Cervelo Soloist I’ve been looking at and which bike might I sell!
    PS Give us some feedback on the Sprint when you get it - looks like an interesting and good choice!
    Debating over whether a purchase is worth the investment is one thing, debating whether it is worth giving the age is a bit different.
    It always makes me laugh when people buy their “last bike” at 50, the forever bike, which is then superseeded by another half a dozen bikes in the following decade.

• kingrollo said:

seanoconn said:

Indeed. I haven't posted for a while. See that @ugo.santalucia still knows more about anything and everything than anyone else
    you said it… 😉

• kingrollo
    redvision said:

When the kickr bike and neo bike first launched I did contemplate getting one to replace my kickr. But the more I thought about it the more I realised there wasn't much point - they offer nothing extra than the kickr (or high end trainer) other than being easier to adjust - something which wasn't relevant as only I would be using it. So couldn't justify the cost.

My advice would be to go high end smart trainer over the extra for the bike, unless it will be used by several riders (ie family etc).

I have tried the smart trainer route - admittedly low end - it just took to long to calibrate all the sensors - then the wifi would drop out. plus it was in the garage.

I currently have a very basic spin bike in my bedroom - the idea was to replace that with smartbike - atom or similar. I couldn't set up one of my road bikes in the bedroom .
  • pblakeney
    kingrollo said:

redvision said:

I have tried the smart trainer route - admittedly low end - it just took to long to calibrate all the sensors - then the wifi would drop out. plus it was in the garage.

I currently have a very basic spin bike in my bedroom - the idea was to replace that with smartbike - atom or similar. I couldn't set up one of my road bikes in the bedroom .
    Smart trainers and smart bikes use the same connectivity tech.
    Getting a smart bike will not resolve those issues, unless it was a shitty smart trainer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • redvision
    kingrollo said:

redvision said:

Sounds very familiar - limited space was also one of the reasons I was thinking about a smart bike. I was lucky enough to try the kickr bike in my lbs and, aside from being underwhelmed, it wasn't particular small. The actual footprint was pretty much the same as my existing kickr and bike set up.

As @ pblakeney mentioned, the smart trainer and trainer bikes all use the same connections -Bluetooth, ant+ and WiFi (on some turbos) so that won't make a difference.

If you can, I would find a bike shop with one you can try. It's a lot of dough to cough up for something you may find isn't actually providing anything extra to a smart turbo (as I did).
  • kingrollo
    redvision said:

kingrollo said:

redvision said:

Sounds very familiar - limited space was also one of the reasons I was thinking about a smart bike. I was lucky enough to try the kickr bike in my lbs and, aside from being underwhelmed, it wasn't particular small. The actual footprint was pretty much the same as my existing kickr and bike set up.

As @ pblakeney mentioned, the smart trainer and trainer bikes all use the same connections -Bluetooth, ant+ and WiFi (on some turbos) so that won't make a difference.

If you can, I would find a bike shop with one you can try. It's a lot of dough to cough up for something you may find isn't actually providing anything extra to a smart turbo (as I did).
    Easier said that done.

It probably isn't providing anything extra than smart bike turbo.But that isn't an option for me (or its an option I know I wouldn't use) - I want the get on and go convenience of being in the bedroom - and I don't an oily bike in the bedroom - which I then have to lug downstairs whenever I want to go out for a proper ride.

The wattbike has the smallest footprint hence its on the shortlist
  • redvision
    Well, your choice obviously, but I would seriously consider something like the neo or kickr and then use the money you save to buy a dedicated bike you could leave set up on it.
  • in your position it makes total sense to get a Wattbike. Friends who have one rate it very much and would not go back to smart trainers.
    Some races on some apps are Smart trainer only, if that is a concern.
  • Wattbike Atom over a smart trainer every time. I owned a Saris H3 before getting the Wattbike and (Wattbike) is a proper tool for indoor training.
    Having my road bike on the turbo trainer i never felt comfortable especially when standing putting all that strain through a static carbon frame and you still have the wear and tear on your chain and gears etc.
    Buy the Wattbike and enjoy it !!
  • kingrollo
    My other concern is that in the past I have found too much static bike works makes my knees back and hips ache - this might be too much training to soon - would have to ease into it !
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    If you solved the wifi issue (by getting an extender for a few quid), would you use the garage again?
    Is the bedroom upstairs? If so, any smart bike is a heavy bit of kit to get up there. Then consider if there will be any vibrations through the house when using it.
    A dedicated set up is deffo the way to go, but that could be smart bike or Kickr/Neo plus bike permanently set up on it.
  • kingrollo
    It's a good job smart bikes don't come with a choice of rim or disk brakes.:😀
  • kingrollo

If you solved the wifi issue (by getting an extender for a few quid), would you use the garage again?
    Is the bedroom upstairs? If so, any smart bike is a heavy bit of kit to get up there. Then consider if there will be any vibrations through the house when using it.
    A dedicated set up is deffo the way to go, but that could be smart bike or Kickr/Neo plus bike permanently set up on it.

Don't think I would use the garage tbh. I work from home -set up in bedroom so the atom or other trainer would be pretty much ready to go.
    TV, radio , cd player is all ready to go in bedroom.

Yeah sure the trainer will take a bit of humping to get upstairs (stages will do this for you for a free) ....but my son is a powerlifter in any case

I have tried a low end smart trainer in the garage -. But it was a wheel on one - so you have to calibrate each on or off....and there isn't an awful lot of room in my garage.

If I had a spare room - then yes a permanently assembled bike might be option.....but I don't.

• pblakeney
    kingrollo said:

Don't think I would use the garage tbh. I work from home -set up in bedroom so the atom or other trainer would be pretty much ready to go.

Yeah sure the trainer will take a bit of humping to get upstairs (stages will do this for you for a free) ....but my son is a powerlifter in any case

I have tried a low end smart trainer in the garage -. But it was a wheel on one - so you have to calibrate each on or off....and there isn't an awful lot of room in my garage.

If I had a spare room - then yes a permanently assembled bike might be option.....but I don't.

Now we know why you'll be taking it easy.
    Don't want to be out of breath when work phones. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

kingrollo said:

I once did a training session during a Teams meeting, assuming I was just there to listen to some people rambling on. Annoyingly, somebody mentioned me, so I had to jump off the bike, turn the microphone on, but crucially not the camera, and try to speak as normally as possible, hiding my puffing and panting behind some ehm and uhm… it was a rather embarassing moment… 😂😂

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

kingrollo said:

I once did a training session during a Teams meeting, assuming I was just there to listen to some people rambling on. Annoyingly, somebody mentioned me, so I had to jump off the bike, turn the microphone on, but crucially not the camera, and try to speak as normally as possible, hiding my puffing and panting behind some ehm and uhm… it was a rather embarassing moment… 😂😂

I took a job offer call while on the trainer so I can relate. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

pblakeney said:

kingrollo said:

I suppose that better than taking a call while sat on the loo.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    Let us know what you decide, and how it goes. I'd also look at the kickr gen 1 bike. On sale for less that the wattbike at times. The lack of movement in those bikes and trainers may have accounted for you getting aches while indoor training before. The wahoo bike has alot more flex than the others

I have a kickr core and it's great, I thought about a smart bike but couldn't justify. If my wife gets into it then I probably will go for one. She only rides outdoors atm.

Last I looked the wattbike went from 1999 to 2399. Stages is going down, and the wahoo kickr bike g1 is around the 2. It's a strange pricing strategy from wattbike imo
  • kingrollo
    hpaul said:

Let us know what you decide, and how it goes. I'd also look at the kickr gen 1 bike. On sale for less that the wattbike at times. The lack of movement in those bikes and trainers may have accounted for you getting aches while indoor training before. The wahoo bike has alot more flex than the others

I have a kickr core and it's great, I thought about a smart bike but couldn't justify. If my wife gets into it then I probably will go for one. She only rides outdoors atm.

Last I looked the wattbike went from 1999 to 2399. Stages is going down, and the wahoo kickr bike g1 is around the 2. It's a strange pricing strategy from wattbike imo

I think £2399 is the RRP - but a voucher flashed up giving £200 off today.....I also work for the NHS so can get a £200 discount (but I can't combine the two !!)

Last year they did £200 off in tdf week.......

So I don't think many will pay £2399 .....

Stages is the best deal at £1699 - but the quality control doesn't seem there .....in nearly every review in the comments someone posts connectivity issues.......even recent purchases.