Creating workouts on a Garmin 1000 / 1030 - can you get text to pop up?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
Afternoon all,

I used to use these two bad boys:

I've forgotten the name of the archaic software now, but it was a local install, and had the abbreviation TC, so I suspect it was Training Centre.

I digress - it was clunky as hell, BUT it enabled me to create a workout I could carry out something like below:

10min warm up, press lap to go to next step. Text on screen = "10 min wrmup > 3 minute flat out effort"
3 minute flat out effort. Text on screen "3min flat out > 6 min recover"
6 minute recovery. Text on screen "6 minute recover > 5min 90% FTP"
5 minute at 90% FTP. Text on screen "5min @ 90% > 5 min recover"

Hopefully you get the idea.
That way I would know when I pressed the lap button after the warmup I was going straight into a flat out effort, as well as what was coming up next - the advantage of utilising the lap button before starting the efforts is that I would know if a set of junctions, or a downhill was coming up I could delay starting it until I was confident I could complete it.

I used to use this too when I was using the BC warm up routines, ie a bit of fast pedalling for x amount of time, out of the saddle, raise the hr etc, and found it mega useful.

I'd quite like to incorporate some drills and intervals of some sort into my outdoor rides, and having the ability to know what is coming up next (without having to try and memorise it, or stick it on the top tube) would be a massive advantage for me, especially as being a parent of sorts, my memory is screwed.

I know TC is dead and buried now, and last time I looked at the 1000 it seemed you could create workouts, but at the time I could find no way to get the description on the screen, and that's really what I am after.
It's ok it will beep when I am outside the prescribed zones, but I'd simply prefer to have a message pop up, or even stay on the screen (Would be even better, like a dedicated field), detailing what I am meant to be doing upcoming and or current interval.

I also have a 1030 I need to unbox and start using, so if that one has more functionality for whatever reason, that could be the silver bullet.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    For anyone that happens to search for this thread, I think I may have found the solution for the 1030, though the 1000 is not compatible.

https://apps.garmin.com/eng-Eng/apps/e312fc61-034f-427f-b9bf-95508f7dcf51

There is an app available through IQ that you can apply to the device that should enable you to display the text as a data field.

Odd they don't make one out of the box imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18