Sagan retires

13»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    phreak said:

An MTB'er has already won the Tour de France. Dual XC World Cup champion, one Cadel Evans.

Rasmussen was a World MTB champion as well. He didn't actually move across to road until he was nearly 30.

Also Ryder Hesjedal was runner-up one year. And Jakob Fuglsang was u23 World Champion, beating Nino Schurter into second
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Bernal has jnr mtb wc medals
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    It's my perception that MTB and Cyclo-cross is perceived by parents, rightly or wrongly, as a safer entry for kids into cycling than riding on public roads.

On that basis I could see the numbers starting off road growing with obvious physical talent showing through

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    edited January 2023
    RichN95. said:

phreak said:

An MTB'er has already won the Tour de France. Dual XC World Cup champion, one Cadel Evans.

Rasmussen was a World MTB champion as well. He didn't actually move across to road until he was nearly 30.

Also Ryder Hesjedal was runner-up one year. And Jakob Fuglsang was u23 World Champion, beating Nino Schurter into second
    Apropos of nothing, has Jakob Fuglsang's career been disappointing? Sagan left plenty on the table, but is definitely not disappointing. I feel Fuglsang had some solid victories (1 great one - LBL), but has mostly been an also ran otherwise.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Yes it has been.
  • Pfft. I really don’t like it. Doing it or watching.

Is this because you grew up somewhere flat?
    I studied in Sheffield and did a bit in the Peak District, so I don’t think it’s that.

I don’t like being muddy and I found it very slow
    If you don't like MTB after doing it in Sheffield then you never will.

I grew up in Sheffield and its absolutely incredible for MTB.

As for Sagan, I always found him a bit meh. Dominated hilly days with sprints at the end and rarely looked like beating the pure sprinters, but that tactic won him 7 Green jersets so...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Pfft. I really don’t like it. Doing it or watching.

Is this because you grew up somewhere flat?
    I studied in Sheffield and did a bit in the Peak District, so I don’t think it’s that.

I don’t like being muddy and I found it very slow
    If you don't like MTB after doing it in Sheffield then you never will.

I grew up in Sheffield and its absolutely incredible for MTB.

As for Sagan, I always found him a bit meh. Dominated hilly days with sprints at the end and rarely looked like beating the pure sprinters, but that tactic won him 7 Green jersets so...
    I got the sense with a more tactical approach he’d have won a lot more with the talent.

I wonder why he elicits that kind of meh.

He was the forerunner to the WvA/MvdP type.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited February 2023
    I think the journos didn't help here.

The time he rode Cav into the barriers there were some of them bordering on "Cav should be lucky to be ridden into the barriers by Saint Sagan".

It made even the biggest fan think, "hmmm, steady on lads..."
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    ddraver said:

It's remarkable how many of them are still impressed by someone doing a wheelie.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

It's remarkable how many of them are still impressed by someone doing a wheelie.

Didn’t help McEwan.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

it's a points jersey, not a sprint jersey so I guess that's okay

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme