Which World Team will be the last to win - 2023?

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,157
edited February 2023 in Pro race
Remarkably eight World Tour teams have already won, so we can start a poll of who we think will be this year's champion.
Wins are any UCI race ranked .1 or above. No national champs, no secondary classification jerseys.

The palmares:
2013 Euskaltel
2014 Astana
2015 LottoNL-Jumbo
2016 Giant
2017 Astana
2018 Sunweb
2019 Sunweb
2020 CCC
2021 Intermarche
2022 DSM

Still without a win: AG2R, Alpecin, Groupama-FDJ
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    On the basis that the French teams will probably pick up a win in some obscure French race it was a toss up between DSM and Trek for me although I don't see many wins coming for Astana until Cav can start picking them up.
  • Astana, I think they'll go through some kind of identity crisis until they work out how best to use Cav.
    Although I often look at Trek and wonder what they're trying to be good at, a squad with Pederson and Stuyven surely can't go too long without a win.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I think DSM have this stitched up already as they've been in decline in terms of wins for the past few years. You look at their roster now and struggle to see where the wins are going to come from.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I think DSM wil take it... but I have a bad feeling about Arkea ruining our party.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Just went by feel ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I went for Astana, but I think there's half a chance they'll get a stage of the UAE Tour.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Just seems obvious.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Their aspirations to mediocrity.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Marc Madiot, innit. 😉
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

Just went by feel ...

Same.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited January 2023

They are quite the enigma to me. They repeatedly find exceptional talent on the men's and woman's side and constantly lose them for nothing.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I really can't make a decision this year...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Well it won't t be trek
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    m.r.m. said:

They are quite the enigma to me. They repeatedly find exceptional talent on the men's and woman's side and constantly lose them for nothing.
    Did you miss the Movistar button?

DSM have form on this one but Arkea was shouting at me. Seems I'm not the only one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Well it won't t be trek

They ought to pay me for picking them. Do you all want 6 lottery numbers to avoid as well?
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Well it won't t be trek

They ought to pay me for picking them. Do you all want 6 lottery numbers to avoid as well?
    Just DM me

• RichN95.
    Trek and Movistar are out. Eight left
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

could be ineos

They riding up the dam in the desert to his year ?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited January 2023
    me-109 said:

m.r.m. said:

Did you miss the Movistar button?

DSM have form on this one but Arkea was shouting at me. Seems I'm not the only one.
    Movistar is nowhere close to DSM in terms of finding exceptional talent in recent years. Movistar has been living off of Valverde mostly for decades. They had some success with Quintana, but they do have an advantage in getting South American or Spanish speaking talent, so I don't attribute all of it to their scouting abilities.

Oh, and I was answering a post regarding DSM. Had nothing to do with my personal choice of Arkea.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.

could be ineos

They riding up the dam in the desert to his year ?

I guess so. Isn't a WT race these days?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. said:

Intermarche too. I missed that. Seven left.
  • drhaggis
    Movistar, and in particular their DS, have gained quite a lot of negative reputation amongst the cycling groups in Spain. Now it seems talented young spaniards will rather go elsewhere, rather than joining the WT with Movistar. See Ayuso, Carlos Rodriguez, and Enric Mas starting out in QS.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    DSM show us that, actually, they do have riders who can win races as Sam Welford wins in Argentina and Marius Mayrhofer takes the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race in Australia.

Six left, including Ineos.
  • drhaggis
    andyp said:

DSM show us that, actually, they do have riders who can win races as Sam Welford wins in Argentina and Marius Mayrhofer takes the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race in Australia.

Six left, including Ineos.

I just can't believe DSM not only managed to avoid this most prestigious award, but even managed to win in bloody January. Most impressive. Maybe it's the new Foil...
  • Just read the news about Bouhanni. Can I change my vote?
  • mididoctors
    I have this feeling it might be ineos still ....Saudi race may help them out
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2023

I don't think they're in Saudi. They've got a strong team going to Valencia on Wednesday
  • mididoctors
    edited January 2023
    RichN95. said:

I don't think they're in Saudi. They've got a strong team going to Valencia on Wednesday
    Your right ..not on Saudi start list ..

... Valencia hills should help them out but Looking at the start lists I can see them getting out muscled in these finales by Bora UAE and Bahrain...

• RichN95. said:

Plus a not so strong looking team at Etoile de Bessèges, also on Wednesday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Ineos have just lost their most reliable B-list race winner for a few weeks.
    Unless Sheffield starts racking up the wins, they're looking like a good bet.