tracking location of fam. members via smartphone

13»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019

I'll admit I'm probably a bit weird in that I don't want Google knowing where I am all the time, so location is turned off unless I'm using Google Maps.

What do you perceive to be the downside of Google knowing where you are?
    Wouldn't it allow the police to determine where you were retrospectively? I know for most of us that will not matter but you never know.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    we still think its weird that you allow yourselves to be stalked/monitored by your other halves/allow them to do it to you.

#weird

mf once went on a stag do and one fella refused to give up his phone because his girlfriend had said that if she couldn't track him she'd call the 5-0.

Needless to say, mf told him what he thought of that particular situation.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,870
    I know two people whose wives track their phones
    1/ Went on a few benders that resulted in them getting in at 5am covered in drugs and scratches so the wife got suspicious.

2/ cannot go out for a few pints without falling asleep on the train and needing collecting from the end of the line so the wife tracks him and calls to wake him up when he's getting near his station.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769
    Remember a few years back when Steven De Jongh crashed unconcious and was only found due to him being tracked via Strava. His wife put a shout out on social media and followers tracked him down. Saved his life.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • MattFalle
    so they're tracked 24/7/365 for the one time every 3 months they go out for a coiple of beers?

that's just weird.
  • MattFalle

Remember a few years back when Steven De Jongh crashed unconcious and was only found due to him being tracked via Strava. His wife put a shout out on social media and followers tracked him down. Saved his life.

that's completely different from being stalked when go down the shops for 20 Marlboro Red and a can of Monster.

Its just weird.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479
    MattFalle said:

that's completely different from being stalked when go down the shops for 20 Marlboro Red and a can of Monster.

Its just weird.

Yeah, sensible use of tech for safety, but most of the time someone would be along and scoop you up if the worst happened. And there's always the old-fashioned way of telling someone where you're going and what time you expect to be back, if you're doing something where someone is unlikely to scoop you up.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,870
    Not really tracked - I don't think she cares to check where he is unless it's going to prevent her needing to go on a rescue mission. I think he considers it a good alternative to being trapped in Hastings after falling asleep on the train again.
    But yeah, bit weird.
    MattFalle said:

so they're tracked 24/7/365 for the one time every 3 months they go out for a coiple of beers?

that's just weird.

• MattFalle
    edited January 2023
    monkimark said:

Not really tracked - I don't think she cares to check where he is unless it's going to prevent her needing to go on a rescue mission. I think he considers it a good alternative to being trapped in Hastings after falling asleep on the train again.
    But yeah, bit weird.

MattFalle said:

that's just weird.

nah fam, she stalking.

he's a grown man: getpissedup, fall asleep on train: its sounds like a him problem not a her stalking him problem.

easiest solution: set alarm on telephone to go iff 5 mins before train gets to station then immediately disable "weirdo stalker" app.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2023

MattFalle said:

Its just weird.

Yeah, sensible use of tech for safety, but most of the time someone would be along and scoop you up if the worst happened. And there's always the old-fashioned way of telling someone where you're going and what time you expect to be back, if you're doing something where someone is unlikely to scoop you up.
    exactly. he failed "going off by yourself" 101.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607
    monkimark said:

I know two people whose wives track their phones
    1/ Went on a few benders that resulted in them getting in at 5am covered in drugs and scratches so the wife got suspicious.

2/ cannot go out for a few pints without falling asleep on the train and needing collecting from the end of the line so the wife tracks him and calls to wake him up when he's getting near his station.

Phone surveillance doesn't seem to be the biggest issue in their relationship.

Him being a total twat in the first place seems to be more of a problem.
  • MattFalle
    How does he come home 'covered in drugs"?

what kind of drugs?

how much did the night cost him if he was "covered in drugs"?

I mean, I'm 6'2 and to give me a light dusting of charlie would cost a blimmin' fortune.

Tbh, it soundd like he had a couple of beers, a spliff, fell in a hadge on the way home and she's all paranoid stalky.
  • carbonclem
    You sound like you’ve got some kind of trust or control issues. In most cases these tech solutions are not used for stalking but just utilising tech for other means, in these cases, safety.
    Misuse of them may indicate other relationship problems but that’s another matter.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2023
    I sometimes use a tracker when I'm riding because the o.h. worries. Reality is it makes her worry more when the signal drops or I stop to fix a flat or have a pi$s.

Rest of the time it's a bit weird. Saying I have trust issues is spinning it around. Ffs 20 years ago people managed with pay phones.
  • MattFalle

You sound like you’ve got some kind of trust or control issues. In most cases these tech solutions are not used for stalking but just utilising tech for other means, in these cases, safety.
    Misuse of them may indicate other relationship problems but that’s another matter.

what? trust issues because me and TDV don't stalk each other?

yeah, right. crack on.

if you want to know where someone is, 'phone them. otherwise leave them alone.
  • briantrumpet

I sometimes use a tracker when I'm riding because the o.h. worries. Reality is it makes her worry more when the signal drops or I stop to fix a flat or have a pi$s.

That was partly behind my initial remarks - that actually more info induces unnecessary worry. Once people have hooked onto that mindset - "I could know so I have to know" - it's almost impossible to let go of constant worry.
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023
    And, apart from that, quite frankly, there are times when I just want to be lost in the great outdoors, disconnected for a few hours, eating a picnic or riding a bike along random lanes. I'll get back to the modern world, sooner or later, or I'll be dead. And the latter will happen sooner or later too.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2023

That was partly behind my initial remarks - that actually more info induces unnecessary worry. Once people have hooked onto that mindset - "I could know so I have to know" - it's almost impossible to let go of constant worry.
    Yup, on a tracking app, being wiped out by an HGV looks very much like going through a valley and losing phone signal. I only do it because I was once wiped out by a car and it made her feel less worried when I was able to cycle again the following year.
  • briantrumpet

Yup, on a tracking app, being wiped out by an HGV looks very much like going through a valley and losing phone signal. I only do it because I was once wiped out by a car and it made her feel less worried when I was able to cycle again the following year.

I'd be happier, for assuaging those sorts of worries, with something that would only jump into action when dramatic forces jerk the phone - seems that that's one of the features of life360 - https://www.life360.com/crash-detection/
  • MattFalle
    tbh, for the past 200 years everyone has been more than happy just cutting around with no desire to seek, be sought, stalk, be stalked or generally followed monitored, curtailed, surveilled and have no fun or privacy without someone watching your every movement.

utterly weird and pointless, all of it.
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

tbh, for the past 200 years everyone has been more than happy just cutting around with no desire to seek, be sought, stalk, be stalked or generally followed monitored, curtailed, surveilled and have no fun or privacy without someone watching your every movement.

utterly weird and pointless, all of it.

Well, yes, in essence. But if you have to placate a worrier, there are better ways than constant tracking, which I just find, yeah, weird.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    Personally find it really useful to be able to check back where I have been when. Location sharing when you are meeting up in the middle of the country from opposite sides is also handy.

All the stuff about stalking is paranoia. People leave far more information in public posts on forums like this than they share with Google.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I don't know what sort of knock would set it off, but I have recently thought about setting up the crash detection alerts on my Garmin. I've had two crashes in recent years resulting in concussion and short term memory loss, both riding solo, one as a result of a driver overtaking and pulling in, the other on a gravel-strewn bend on a descent.

Years ago I offered to set up a tracking feature/app for the OH to find me while I was out. She wasn't interested, yet insists on ringing and getting worried when I don't hear, don't answer or don't have a signal over the Moors. I rarely go out with a definite route in mind and frequently change plans, so not being able to find me doesn't give them much hope of finding me.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2023
  • carbonclem
    I guess it was better when we had those clicker things on front wheels to count the miles ridden?
    :wink: