Pinno's sometimes tricky Christmas quiz 2022

13»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,085

pinno said:

pinno said:

Oi @jimmyjams and @briantrumpet - keep the racket down will ya? There's a quiz going on here.

Would you like us to start a separate thread?
    If you start another bloody thread, it's own your own volition, don't bloody well blame me.
    I start new threads 'cos I feel I have to and you start new threads because you're compelled to so you're just a serial thread starter with compartmentalisation, categorisation and classification tendencies. So there. :tongue:

I'm glad you've cleared that one up.
    i'm glad your glad. What would you do without me?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Any more guesses for the quiz before I post the answers?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited December 2022
    Two more.

2. Alphonse is and old name. The only person from the olden days that got lost was the bloke Desgrange sent to the Pyrenees. The cyclists of the era knew the route.

26. It can’t be Froome can it? Rohan Dennis? Maybe Menchov or Olano.

33. Spanish guy who dominated the war years. I think he was called Rodriguez. If not Freddie Maertens
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    RichN95. said:

Two more.

2. Alphonse is and old name. The only person from the olden days that got lost was the bloke Desgrange sent to the Pyrenees. The cyclists of the era knew the route.

26. It can’t be Froome can it? Rohan Dennis? Maybe Menchov or Olano.

33. Spanish guy who dominated the war years. I think he was called Rodriguez. If not Freddie Maertens

2. Yes; Alphonse Steines got lost on the Tourmalet although there are many tales around this event and probably embellished by the French who love tears, blood and travail.

26. Olano.

33. Correct. Full name: Delio Rodriguez.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    5. 48 - I just came across it reading a motorbike book of my brother's.
    13. Kruisberg. Cauberg. No idea of the names of most of them. Spent a week in Valkenburg as a young lad just after I got into cycling, Easter time so just missed the racing.
    15. Van Moorsel (again) ;)
    29. Glasgow? Only Ivy I can think of is Bill (motorbike racer of old) but I don't see any connection there.
    31. Is that the Canadian races? They are the last things I remember seeing much noise about in the late season.
  • pinno
    me-109 said:

5. 48 - I just came across it reading a motorbike book of my brother's.
    13. Kruisberg. Cauberg. No idea of the names of most of them. Spent a week in Valkenburg as a young lad just after I got into cycling, Easter time so just missed the racing.
    15. Van Moorsel (again) ;)
    29. Glasgow? Only Ivy I can think of is Bill (motorbike racer of old) but I don't see any connection there.
    31. Is that the Canadian races? They are the last things I remember seeing much noise about in the late season.

5. Has already been answered. :smile:
    13. Meant to post the Keutenberg and Eyserbosweg as 'arnuf' answered but you filled in the missing Cauberg.
    15. Not 'again'. Yes, already answered.
    29. Nope.
    31. Already answered.

Look at my first post and scroll down @me-109, I have updated the questions that have been answered.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited December 2022
    I did scroll down. 5, 15 and 39 are still blank.

I don't know why I said 31, I meant 39, the Lombardi's question.
  • me-109 said:

I think he refers to the race that became "Giro di Lombardia"... wasn't the original name of the race, can't remember though...
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    29. Using the only York connection to cycling I know - Philippa York, I learn there is also a trans cyclist called Veronica Ivy.

I wrongly thought York was spelled Yorke (like Dwight)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    ^ ah yes, the one who used to be Rachel McKinnon and before that some other name and/or gender. Well got there. I was thinking about P York but didn't make the jump.
  • pinno

me-109 said:

I think he refers to the race that became "Giro di Lombardia"... wasn't the original name of the race, can't remember though...
    It's a race held a few days before I'l Lombardia and without giving it away... has been in existence for some 115 years.
  • pinno
    RichN95. said:

29. Using the only York connection to cycling I know - Philippa York, I learn there is also a trans cyclist called Veronica Ivy.

I wrongly thought York was spelled Yorke (like Dwight)

Correct. Rachel McKinnon and Robert Millar both changed their names to Dr Veronica Ivy and Phillipa York.
  • pinno
    edited December 2022
    Anyway, apologies. I have two tabs open. One of them is a rolling edit but if I don't hit the 'Post' icon, it doesn't update. Funny dat.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Time for some wiki-cheating researching.

9 Thomas de Gendt
    10 2015-16
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Time for some wiki-cheating researching.

9 Thomas de Gendt
    10 2015-16

Oi!
  • pinno
    Full list of answers on page 1.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    edited December 2022
    pinno said:

me-109 said:

It's a race held a few days before I'l Lombardia and without giving it away... has been in existence for some 115 years.
    MIlano-Torino? Paris-Tours?
    left the forum March 2023
  • pinno

pinno said:

me-109 said:

MIlano-Torino?
    Gran Piemonte.
  • RichN95.
    Thanks for the quiz Pinno.

If anyone wants more cycling quizzing, Inner Ring has a Christmas quiz

https://inrng.com/2022/12/the-christmas-quiz/

• pinno
    You're welcome @RichN95.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

You're welcome @RichN95.

Jeez, get a room.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno said:

orraloon said:

16 after the hint, and I wikichecked

Ellen van Dijk

oops, predictive text 😊

Yes.
    How seriously does one have to have done speedskating in order to be classed as having given it up to pursue another sport? There are oodles of Dutch cycling world champs who must surely have dabbled with speed skating at some sort of competitive level as children but don't mention it, in the way you wouldn't mention having attended school as a child, because everyone does this. Ellen van Dijk competed at a high level as a junior as a speedskater, but not as a senior.

Anyway, on the speed skater/cyclist front, I raise my hat to Clara Hughes, the only person to win multiple Olympic medals in both sports. I should also raise it to Christa Rothenburger, the only person to win a winter (speed skating) and summer (track cycling) Olympic medal in the same year, but as she was doped to the eyeballs for both, my hat stays where it is.

• pinno

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Ellen van Dijk

oops, predictive text 😊

Yes.
    How seriously does one have to have done speedskating in order to be classed as having given it up to pursue another sport? There are oodles of Dutch cycling world champs who must surely have dabbled with speed skating at some sort of competitive level as children but don't mention it, in the way you wouldn't mention having attended school as a child, because everyone does this. Ellen van Dijk competed at a high level as a junior as a speedskater, but not as a senior.

Anyway, on the speed skater/cyclist front, I raise my hat to Clara Hughes, the only person to win multiple Olympic medals in both sports. I should also raise it to Christa Rothenburger, the only person to win a winter (speed skating) and summer (track cycling) Olympic medal in the same year, but as she was doped to the eyeballs for both, my hat stays where it is.

Does it matter what level she did speed skating at for it to be a worthy (and deliberately ambiguous) quiz question?
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Ellen van Dijk

oops, predictive text 😊

Yes.

Does it matter what level she did speed skating at for it to be a worthy (and deliberately ambiguous) quiz question?
    I think it depends if, as question setter, you want to be absolutely certain that the answer you have is the unique answer. Ellen van Dijk is an answer, but for the reasons I gave, there may be equally valid other answers of which you are not aware. e.g. if Kirsten Wild did any speedskating in your youth then she also fits the bill as the answer.

If you think about "Which British person gave up football to become a global champion in athletics" then there are a bazzillion potential answers (we'll start with Daley Thompson and Adam Gemili) as so many athletic British lads play football then you can maybe see the problem more clearly.