The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Are drugs not another area where lots of scientific literature suggests that the current government stance is slightly wrongheaded?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390

If you live just outside the ULEZ, can you benefit from the scrappage scheme, or is only available to those living within the ULEZ area?

Only those living within.
    Thanks. Seems a flaw as no doubt there are quite a few who live just outside the ULEZ who would need to enter the ULEZ on a reugar basis, so extending the scheme to those in the neighbouring areas would make sense.
    So they can come in to pollute but don't have to live with it?
    Honetly! You show little understanding around those who work in and around the edges of large towns and cities. Not everyone works in the city centre.

You imply that those living just outside the ULEZ zone shouldn't be allowed to enter it (given than even compliant vehicles still pollute), yet many of those living just outside may work inside the zone, or their nearest shopping may be inside the zone, or their other family may live just inside etc etc.

By extending the scappage scheme to those just outside it will benefit those who live inside too.
  • rjsterry said:

I think that people should be able to claim for expenses incurred during the performance of their job.

Yes, yes KG, we should charge them and then give it back. Excellent plan.

Someone could be employed to do that. It is a win-win.
    Think you've misunderstood. Employees claim expenses from their employer. Same as if we send someone to a site, we reimburse their tube fare.
    If the employer is the government or local authority, its a bit cyclic isn't it.
    Like when someone has to claim for parking?
    Indeed, but one that is easier to solve.

I do love these arguments that because one thing isn't ideal, it justifies some other not ideal thing.

Similar to the let's legalise drug A because smoking and alcohol are legal.

M'Kay...
    No, I'm saying that because it's absolutely fine for employers to pay for parking, it's also absolutely fine for them to pay ULEZ charges.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think that people should be able to claim for expenses incurred during the performance of their job.

Yes, yes KG, we should charge them and then give it back. Excellent plan.

Someone could be employed to do that. It is a win-win.
    Think you've misunderstood. Employees claim expenses from their employer. Same as if we send someone to a site, we reimburse their tube fare.
    If the employer is the government or local authority, its a bit cyclic isn't it.
    No, only if they're a TfL employee. The money goes directly to TfL; not to local government and definitely not to central government. I'd say it's quite likely that TfL doesn't ask staff to use their own cars for work (especially as they get free travel on public transport). TfL's fleet of maintenance vans are likely to be ULEZ compliant although I haven't checked.
    Lucky for them.

This is a "it is a different pot of money" argument, that I don't much care for.
    What is? ULEZ and Congestion Charge go into a TfL fund, which they are required to reinvest in their services and infrastructure. I suppose there's a conceivable scenario where a TfL employee has to use a non-compliant vehicle for work and can then claim the charge as an expense but it's pretty trivial.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    edited September 2023

If you live just outside the ULEZ, can you benefit from the scrappage scheme, or is only available to those living within the ULEZ area?

Thanks. Seems a flaw as no doubt there are quite a few who live just outside the ULEZ who would need to enter the ULEZ on a reugar basis, so extending the scheme to those in the neighbouring areas would make sense.
    Honetly! You show little understanding around those who work in and around the edges of large towns and cities. Not everyone works in the city centre.

You imply that those living just outside the ULEZ zone shouldn't be allowed to enter it (given than even compliant vehicles still pollute), yet many of those living just outside may work inside the zone, or their nearest shopping may be inside the zone, or their other family may live just inside etc etc.

By extending the scappage scheme to those just outside it will benefit those who live inside too.
    It's the same vibe here in Cambridge.

They don't want the cost of an urban house but they then want to use my road as a car park or a thoroughfare. They want it both ways. Tough sh!t.

Residents of the town get to decide how it's run, not the people who live outside of it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited September 2023

They don't want the cost of an urban house but they then want to use my road as a car park or a thoroughfare. They want it both ways. Tough sh!t.

Residents of the town get to decide how it's run, not the people who live outside of it.
    What are you on about?
    Do you not read what is posted?
    It has nothing to do with the price of houses, and plenty of village houses are way more expensive than those in towns.
    Is it suddenly all countryside at the edge of the ULEZ zone?
    And you've spectacularly missed the point about those working in the suburbs rather than in the city centres.
    Also sounds like you and your neighbours should be pushing for residents' parking in your street.
  • If you live just outside the ULEZ, can you benefit from the scrappage scheme, or is only available to those living within the ULEZ area?

Are towns entirely self contained RC?
  • If you live just outside the ULEZ, can you benefit from the scrappage scheme, or is only available to those living within the ULEZ area?

They don't, entirely, and nor should they.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure but for traffic they largely do.

The border of the ULEZ has to be somewhere.
  • rjsterry

What are you on about?
    Do you not read what is posted?
    It has nothing to do with the price of houses, and plenty of village houses are way more expensive than those in towns.
    Is it suddenly all countryside at the edge of the ULEZ zone?
    And you've spectacularly missed the point about those working in the suburbs rather than in the city centres.
    Also sounds like you and your neighbours should be pushing for residents' parking in your street.
    The Greater London boundary is of course fairly arbitrary although the surrounding Green Belt designations do mean that in places it does stop fairly abruptly with a gap before you get to places like Redhill, Weybridge, Slough and Watford.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy

Remember, in Ricktopia there is no such thing as countryside.
  • Sure but for traffic they largely do.

Kind of doesn't.

Remember, in Ricktopia there is no such thing as countryside.
    There would have to be some to farm all the horses and grow the pot they all would live off.
  • rjsterry

I mean, we can see where that Nimby line of thinking ends very clearly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

I mean, we can see where that Nimby line of thinking ends very clearly.
    Fair. Always thought NIMBY referred to building stuff rather than traffic enforcement.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Swap out 'town' for 'country' and that sounds a lot like a rationale for Brexit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy said:

Are drugs not another area where lots of scientific literature suggests that the current government stance is slightly wrongheaded?

Probably one for another thread.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure. I think those who drive in from outside are much less exposed to the cost of the pollution, but are contributors, so they don't have 'skin in the game' in this.
  • Sure. I think those who drive in from outside are much less exposed to the cost of the pollution, but are contributors, so they don't have 'skin in the game' in this.

I'm just loving the slant this thread is taking.

It's like taking off a mask.
  • Stevo_666
    Royston Chasey? :p

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Not if they scrap it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

pinno said:

pinno said:

I still find it amusing that if a car is forty or more years old "classic" you pay no road tax and don't have to get an MOT.

Future transport bliss is to find a cool classic of this age and get it up to scratch.

It would make a good thread.

Alas, I still have 6 years to go before my classic is tax and MOT exempt.
    Classic exempt 911, vehicle bliss.

I could have kept you thinking that but no, it's a 944.
    My 911 (997) was a daily.

Anyway, from your list how many of those cars would you a) happily give the odd thrashing and b) would keep up with modern traffic?

2cv - too slow, no good on the motorway.
    Mini - too slow, no good on the motorway
    Fiat 500 - too slow, no good on the motorway
    911 - too much money tied up in them to put the foot down
    Beatle - too slow, no good on the motorway

That leaves the Golf and the 205gti.
    They'd be good as a second pottering car though for trips a walk/ride can't cover.
    I am 1" away from completing the 944 restoration and I will take the girls to school in it. Especially on a day like today where I can remove the sunroof.
    [I have had to promise them anyway].
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Sure. I think those who drive in from outside are much less exposed to the cost of the pollution, but are contributors, so they don't have 'skin in the game' in this.

I'm just loving the slant this thread is taking.

It's like taking off a mask.
    Is 'Econimby' a thing yet?
  • Sure. I think those who drive in from outside are much less exposed to the cost of the pollution, but are contributors, so they don't have 'skin in the game' in this.

If they are in the city, on the road, they're probably exposed to the pollution more than plenty of people who live inside the zone.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Not if they scrap it.
    I think the Conservatives would need to field a serious candidate for that to happen.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Surely the words "Conservative" and "serious candidate" are no longer compatible?
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

I still find it amusing that if a car is forty or more years old "classic" you pay no road tax and don't have to get an MOT.

Future transport bliss is to find a cool classic of this age and get it up to scratch.

It would make a good thread.

Alas, I still have 6 years to go before my classic is tax and MOT exempt.
    Classic exempt 911, vehicle bliss.

I could have kept you thinking that but no, it's a 944.
    My 911 (997) was a daily.

Anyway, from your list how many of those cars would you a) happily give the odd thrashing and b) would keep up with modern traffic?

2cv - too slow, no good on the motorway.
    Mini - too slow, no good on the motorway
    Fiat 500 - too slow, no good on the motorway
    911 - too much money tied up in them to put the foot down
    Beatle - too slow, no good on the motorway

That leaves the Golf and the 205gti.
    They'd be good as a second pottering car though for trips a walk/ride can't cover.
    I am 1" away from completing the 944 restoration and I will take the girls to school in it. Especially on a day like today where I can remove the sunroof.
    [I have had to promise them anyway].
    Sounds good Pinno. There must be a lot of satisfaction in that, also you know how to keep it going.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    edited September 2023
    "Humans are really terrible at assessing risk."

From a recent More or Less. (In the context of mass hysteria surrounding Fukashima water releases.that are smaller by several orders of magnitude than those from Sellafield, which are themselves safe.)

Couldn't agree more.
  • rjsterry
    Blinding. Can you put it on a nice background and post it on Instagram.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

Blinding. Can you put it on a nice background and post it on Instagram.

What is it that you disagree with? David Spiegelhalter makes the same point very often.

Other interesting thing is that the health risks from worrying about Fukashima outweigh the health risks from any actual radiation.

This is actually by far the most convincing line of argument for ULEZ.