colonoscopy

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    mully79 said:

capt_slog said:

Anyone else had the "camera down the japs eye"?

Yes, about 13 years ago. Not at all pleasant.
    Nearly fainted driving home afterwards too.
    I’m still not sure whether Doctor was joking when he said I could have it now with no anaesthetic or wait 6 months for an outpatients operation. I should have chose the latter.
    sorry - you chose no anaesthetic for somone to shove a tube down your willy?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

capt_slog said:

I’m still not sure whether Doctor was joking when he said I could have it now with no anaesthetic or wait 6 months for an outpatients operation. I should have chose the latter.
    I was young and naive and I didn’t see the size of the camera before I made that choice.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

capt_slog said:

Ooh, Carry on Matron.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

capt_slog said:

And got it done free of charge? #bargain
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I've got Crohn's so am subjected to a colonoscopy regularly ( had about 6 and 1 due next May 23).
    The worst part is the laxative as the actual endoscopy procedure is fairly painless, Entonox is great stuff but don't overdo the gas or you will feel you want to puke, but the best advice I can give is during the " clearing out stage" is sit on the toilet and Hold it in until it becomes unbearable then let it go lol.
    Otherwise you'll get through a stack of rolls of toilet paper and your orifice will be untouchable!!!!.
    Its a strange procedure as there's live images on one screen and a Etcher sketch type image of the route of the endoscope twirling around your intestines on another.
    Better to have a little discomfort and awkwardness with present staff, females, than leave it to late and have the big C..
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,536
    The prep is definitely worse than the procedure neither are fun.

Colo Marginally better than an Endo for me… I have Crohn’s disease too so had my fair share. Defo worth getting checked out.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    edited December 2022

I mentioned it just to get the message across that if ever you have to have this done, not to worry about it. It's uncomfortable and not pleasant but I wouldn't say it was painful. It's certainly high on embarrassment, though.

Considering the pain associated with everyday activities which doesn't put us off repeating those actions, (eg hitting your thumb with a hammer?), the camera thing doesn't even come close.

Edit : Apologies to Dorset Boy. I wasn't making light of your experience of this, you obviously might feel differently.

The older I get, the better I was.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2022
    capt_slog said:

if thats not a t shirt slogan i don't know what is.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    capt_slog said:

I mentioned it just to get the message across that if ever you have to have this done, not to worry about it. It's uncomfortable and not pleasant but I wouldn't say it was painful. It's certainly high on embarrassment, though.

Considering the pain associated with everyday activities which doesn't put us off repeating those actions, (eg hitting your thumb with a hammer?), the camera thing doesn't even come close.

Edit : Apologies to Dorset Boy. I wasn't making light of your experience of this, you obviously might feel differently.

No problem. In hindsight I probably left the hospital a bit too soon.
  • capt_slog said:

I had an endoscope last week. They use an anaesthetic gel which is a bit uncomfortable. When the tube goes in it stings a bit when when it gets to your prostate holy fu*k that hurt like a motherfu*ker. Deep gasps of intense pain as it went past then okay, just general discomfort.

Felt a bit uncomfy peeing for a while.

Fortunately all clear but don't want another.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372

I had an endoscope last week. They use an anaesthetic gel which is a bit uncomfortable. When the tube goes in it stings a bit when when it gets to your prostate holy fu*k that hurt like a motherfu*ker. Deep gasps of intense pain as it went past then okay, just general discomfort.

You had me worried/impressed for a bit, as I've had the endoscope several times, with the anaesthetic gel, but they've never got as far as the prostate. Then I realised you were still talking about one up the ar$e, and not down the gullet, as mine have been. The only trouble with them really as it turns the corner, which is decidedly unpleasant, but not painful.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

capt_slog said:

Meh. I don't know the proper surgical name but try a reverse umbrella up there without general aesthetic. Not something I recommend or ever want to repeat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited December 2022
    Isn’t the one that goes up your jacksie a Sigmoidoscopy.
    It might be worth getting the names right as you wouldn’t want one that’s been up someone’s back door down your throat.
    Talk about adding insult to injury.
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

Isn’t the one that goes up your jacksie a Sigmoidoscopy.
    It might be worth getting the names right as you wouldn’t want one that’s been up someone’s back door down your throat.
    Talk about adding insult to injury.

Gastroscopy is the top one. Bottomendoscopy is the other.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2022
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2022

You had me worried/impressed for a bit, as I've had the endoscope several times, with the anaesthetic gel, but they've never got as far as the prostate. Then I realised you were still talking about one up the ar$e, and not down the gullet, as mine have been. The only trouble with them really as it turns the corner, which is decidedly unpleasant, but not painful.
    No mate I'm talking about up the pen15 all the way to bladder via fu*k knows where and agonytown.

I am no medical expert so could be chatting utter shyte but I swear they said it I would experience some discomfort as it passed the prostate. "Some" is a major understatement.
  • briantrumpet

No mate I'm talking about up the pen15 all the way to bladder via fu*k knows where and agonytown.

I am no medical expert so could be chatting utter shyte but I swear they said it I would experience some discomfort as it passed the prostate. "Some" is a major understatement.

Ah, just as well I'm not the chap with the endoscope... oops, sorry sir!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,651
    capt_slog said:

Oh, yeah?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192

capt_slog said:

Oh, yeah?

Think that is what they used on me, I did tell them I would prefer to have another Prince Albert piercing than have the camera go to my bladder again, it made the two nurses and the doctor chuckle somewhat
  • I had my first colonoscopy at age 50, just as a precautionary measure as colon cancer runs in my family.
    Sure enough, I had a small (~1cm) malignant polyp, which they removed. Since then, I have had colonoscopies every 2-3 years without fail. Most of the time they remove the polyps (mostly benign but once I had 3 small, malignant polyps).
    I'm now 70 years old, still riding bikes and planning to for some time to come.