British Olympic cyclist arrested on suspicion of rape and indecent assault

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    sorry, I folliw the first part of the post but not the seconf.

you want anonymity but?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

The Mail: “We know the identity but won’t give the name. However, here’s a load of clues to allow you to speculate”.

Why report it at all before someone is charged?

Isn’t there some merit in identifying people where other victims may feel empowered to come forward if they feel they aren’t alone? Similar to Saville (in principle).
    I guess it depends if it’s thought it’s an isolated incident or may be a pattern.
    I was ahead of myself here. I just read again and he’s not yet charged. Fair enough.
    given the type of alleged crime, would you be happy to be named if you were innocent, got charged but at the end of the were found not guilty?
    I wouldn’t want the publicity of any crime I was charged with , but generally, you don’t enjoy the privilege of anonymity in the situation, do you?
    Yes. You do.
    Just one example.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63907597
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    RichN95. said:

Reading between the lines it would seem to be someone relatively obscure

Could be total nonsense obviously, but when the story first broke, one of the first comments I saw on one of the FB cycling pages was someone saying the guy is now 73 years old .
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

The Mail: “We know the identity but won’t give the name. However, here’s a load of clues to allow you to speculate”.

Isn’t there some merit in identifying people where other victims may feel empowered to come forward if they feel they aren’t alone? Similar to Saville (in principle).
    I guess it depends if it’s thought it’s an isolated incident or may be a pattern.
    I was ahead of myself here. I just read again and he’s not yet charged. Fair enough.
    given the type of alleged crime, would you be happy to be named if you were innocent, got charged but at the end of the were found not guilty?
    I wouldn’t want the publicity of any crime I was charged with , but generally, you don’t enjoy the privilege of anonymity in the situation, do you?
    Yes. You do.
    Just one example.

I'm not sure what your'e point is. Anonymity can be granted where circumstances protect victims, or the case itself, but the default setting is that names are in the public domain.
    I've no idea on the case you quoted.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    MattFalle said:

sorry, I folliw the first part of the post but not the seconf.

you want anonymity but?

but , its not a given.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

Yes. You do.
    Just one example.

I'm not sure what your'e point is. Anonymity can be granted where circumstances protect victims, or the case itself, but the default setting is that names are in the public domain.
    The guy being charged wasn't named.
    Quite common in most cases.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • carbonclem
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

Yes. You do.
    Just one example.

Its the exception rather than the rule.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

Yes. You do.
    Just one example.

Its the exception rather than the rule.
    Ah well. I believe in innocent until proven guilty.
    Unfortunately others believe no smoke without fire. I'll leave it at that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

RichN95. said:

Reading between the lines it would seem to be someone relatively obscure

Could be total nonsense obviously, but when the story first broke, one of the first comments I saw on one of the FB cycling pages was someone saying the guy is now 73 years old .
    327 to filter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Olympic_cyclists_of_Great_Britain
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • This needs to stop: I managed to get it down to 1 using norvernrob's clue that hasn't been verified.
    I asked the admins to take down his post but they've not done anything.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    There are no admins, just some bots activated by flags. It's the modern world innit.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316

This needs to stop: I managed to get it down to 1 using norvernrob's clue that hasn't been verified.

You are more than welcome to not follow up on random "I heard from a guy on a forum who said he heard on facebook..." rumours. In fact I recommend it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

This needs to stop: I managed to get it down to 1 using norvernrob's clue that hasn't been verified.

You are more than welcome to not follow up on random "I heard from a guy on a forum who said he heard on facebook..." rumours. In fact I recommend it.
    tbh its very fuckingsad that he went searching.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yeah we shouldn't speculate
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Yep.
    “Now that I’ve found out who I think it is based on pointers in this thread the thread should be removed, it’s a scandal!” Tube.
  • MattFalle

Yep.
    “Now that I’ve spent hours scouring round the internet in a desperate search to try and find out who may or have not been accused of bring a rapist and then posted about him I've come across some random bloke and in a sense of glee posted about it based on a random statement in a random thread on a random internet forum the thread should be removed, it’s a scandal! but at least I have some gossip for the club run" Tube.

FTFY