Sundry UK/European issues now that we've left the EU

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,679
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What if we just joined he EU? Dispense with all the bilateral agreements, achieve the same thing. It's obvious now I think about it.

There may be a few aspects to that which might not be overly popular with the electorate - free movement of people and adoption of the Euro, for example. I'm assuming of course that there would need to be a referendum and its a bit difficult to see where that will come from given neither major party have said they are looking to rejoin.
    Yet.
    What sort of timescales do you have in mind?
    About a decade, I reckon.
    I see you're an optimist at heart.
    Perhaps. At the very least the debate hasn't gone away. The idiocy of the hard Brexit mob is getting more and more exposed now. So some soft Breshiteers will make it less bad, before someone figures out that it could be EVEN LESS bad by being part of the largest trade bloc on the planet. Duh.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,731

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What if we just joined he EU? Dispense with all the bilateral agreements, achieve the same thing. It's obvious now I think about it.

There may be a few aspects to that which might not be overly popular with the electorate - free movement of people and adoption of the Euro, for example. I'm assuming of course that there would need to be a referendum and its a bit difficult to see where that will come from given neither major party have said they are looking to rejoin.
    Yet.
    Perhaps. At the very least the debate hasn't gone away. The idiocy of the hard Brexit mob is getting more and more exposed now. So some soft Breshiteers will make it less bad, before someone figures out that it could be EVEN LESS bad by being part of the largest trade bloc on the planet. Duh.
    As mentioned above, it's probably more a case of what comes with membership of that trading bloc (e.g. free movement of people, adopting the Euro as a currency) that will prevent us from going back. I've said for a long time that if the EU had never been more than a trading bloc we would never have left. It was the scope creep which caused the problems.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,949
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

No main party was looking to leave before the last referendum
    True. And?
    So there's your precedent for a referendum when all the main page want to continue the status quo.

For what it's worth, maybe moving towards a softer agreement would be a savvy move.

It think it would put Starmer in a very sticky situation, and I think Sunak's poll numbers can't really sink any lower (people like you would still think he was the best option even if he went full rejoin).

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,083
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

True. And?
    So there's your precedent for a referendum when all the main page want to continue the status quo.

For what it's worth, maybe moving towards a softer agreement would be a savvy move.

It think it would put Starmer in a very sticky situation, and I think Sunak's poll numbers can't really sink any lower (people like you would still think he was the best option even if he went full rejoin).

Forward thinking to get a primary school up and running ready for the change in political direction:

• Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

True. And?

But now we have left, both main parties have said thay do not intend to rejoin.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

True. And?

And when we were members both main parties had said they didn't want to leave.
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

True. And?

What, do you mean politicians don't always tell the truth about what they might do?

• Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

True. And?

True, but there was a referendum where the electorate voted to leave. That result was respected as it should have been.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • This is the mastodon to the other thread's twitter.
  • Stevo_666
    Just giving this thread a bump in anticipation of the vote on the Windsor Framework :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yet.
    As mentioned above, it's probably more a case of what comes with membership of that trading bloc (e.g. free movement of people, adopting the Euro as a currency) that will prevent us from going back. I've said for a long time that if the EU had never been more than a trading bloc we would never have left. It was the scope creep which caused the problems.
    We have higher net immigration now that we've left. Latest attitude surveys suggest that aside from the tiny minority of wannabe brownshirts, the public aren't that bothered by immigration.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yet.
    We have higher net immigration now that we've left. Latest attitude surveys suggest that aside from the tiny minority of wannabe brownshirts, the public aren't that bothered by immigration.
    . . . and never were . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yet.
    Adopting the Euro is more likely to be a sticking point. But this isn't really one on the on-going issues we have with the EU now that we've left, is it :smile:
  • rjsterry
    Definitely on my 'cross that bridge when we get to it' list. At the moment I agree it's not an issue. I can foresee a scenario where circumstances have changed and it will be an easier sell for both parties - Russia is doing it's best to encourage further accessions - but who knows?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    edited February 2023
    rjsterry said:

Definitely on my 'cross that bridge if we get to it' list. At the moment I agree it's not an issue. I can foresee a scenario where circumstances have changed and it will be an easier sell for both parties - Russia is doing it's best to encourage further accessions - but who knows?

FTFY.
  • rjsterry
    Genuinely can't spot what you've fixed, so🤷🏻‍♂️
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Genuinely can't spot what you've fixed, so🤷🏻‍♂️

Put it in bold for you.
  • I've started to think we'll rejoin the single market.
  • briantrumpet

I've started to think we'll rejoin the single market.

The next test will be the bill to rescind hundreds of EU-originated laws. If Sunak torpedoes that, in light of his now-documented enthusiasm for the benefits of being able to trade freely with the EU, then who knows?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

The next test will be the bill to rescind hundreds of EU-originated laws. If Sunak torpedoes that, in light of his now-documented enthusiasm for the benefits of being able to trade freely with the EU, then who knows?
    I guess he may well have it in his sights.

Not for any pro Eu reasons, just that he’s far more pragmatic than the legislation that was drafted by the reckless elements.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

Not for any pro Eu reasons, just that he’s far more pragmatic than the legislation that was drafted by the reckless elements.

Yup, and if he sees Tory poll numbers improving with his pragmatism, and he listens back to what he told NI about the advantage of being in the Single Market, he might twig that closing off that possibility with wrecking legislation would be the opposite of pragmatism.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    The Tufton Street cabal will be after HiRisk. Incoming stuff predicted on non-dom tax dodging et al.
  • Jezyboy

morstar said:

Yup, and if he sees Tory poll numbers improving with his pragmatism, and he listens back to what he told NI about the advantage of being in the Single Market, he might twig that closing off that possibility with wrecking legislation would be the opposite of pragmatism.
    I would be very interested to see what would happen if Rishi put SM in the manifesto.

I think with polling where it is, he almost may as well roll the dice.

I imagine the only open Tory voter on here would vote for them whatever was promised, but I imagine the commitment to SM membership would at least turn the heads of a few on here.
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

morstar said:

I would be very interested to see what would happen if Rishi put SM in the manifesto.

I think with polling where it is, he almost may as well roll the dice.

I imagine the only open Tory voter on here would vote for them whatever was promised, but I imagine the commitment to SM membership would at least turn the heads of a few on here.

That would be quite amusing on a number of levels.
  • He's more likely to self combust.