Sundry UK/European issues now that we've left the EU

I thought this was more appropriate than sg's effort :)
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    😆
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    I'm just waiting for the deluge of posts on this thread :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607
    edited November 2022
    Going to be either an extremely long or an extremely short thread.

Short:
    - Most things are worse.

Still fairly short:

- We can't make things below EU standards because we sell to the EU and making something good and something bad in parallel wastes money.

- We can't buy things easily from the EU, except the things we need to that are now more expensive.

- We can't hire people we need from the EU, so labour either doesn't exist or is more expensive.

- No one seems to be jumping over themselves to deal with the UK instead of the EU, because why would you if the UK is 1/5 the sise and besides have you met the idiots in charge these days?

- None of this could possibly have been predicted and we should throw rotten tomatoes at anyone who thinks they predicted it, because they couldn't possibly have known and so it was a lucky guess even though it still isn't true despite all the evidence, and besides 52% voted for it and the small print says you aren't ever ever allowed to change your mind, even though we changed our minds by coming out.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    steveo's confirmation bias showing :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • oxoman said:

And regardless of brexit we still can't stop the bloody rubber dinghy brigade.

I am so old I can remember when Home Secs used to rush back from holiday because a couple of hundred had landed that week.

The rubber dinghy brigade is definitely a Brexit benefit
  • Stevo_666
    Actually it looks like we may have fragmented the dying embers of the 'debate' somewhat. Maybe we need to consolidate them into a new one, The Big Eurobollox Thread?

:p
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    😆
    Stevo_666 said:

Actually it looks like we may have fragmented the dying embers of the 'debate' somewhat. Maybe we need to consolidate them into a new one, The Big Eurobollox Thread?

I mean this is basic stuff: if you go kicking around embers, you just start more fires. 😃
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The UVF/UDA say the basis of their ceasefire no longer exists.

It seems an attack on an Irish target was only called off after the NI Office belatedly issued a statement that their weren't in fact considering joint authority over Northern Ireland

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

😆

Stevo_666 said:

I mean this is basic stuff: if you go kicking around embers, you just start more fires. 😃
    So you admit they are dying embers ;)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

😆

Stevo_666 said:

I can get my woodburner back up to roaring loveliness from the smallest ember in no time at all.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

😆

Stevo_666 said:

I can get my woodburner back up to roaring loveliness from the smallest ember in no time at all.
    That's in your house. Out in the real world, the fire is well and truly out and people are dealing with other things.
  • tailwindhome
    Good thread, thanks for starting

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
  • tailwindhome
  • First.Aspect
    I'd love to see Blackadder's take on Brexit.

That tweet is similar to teaching Baldrick maths, with some beans.
  • Stevo_666
    Reminds me of this :)

• tailwindhome

• Stevo_666

I recall that when the various options for the UK - EU relationship were being debated after the referendum, it was reported that the EU was very keen not to repeat the 100+ bilateral agreements that govern EU-Swiss relations.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479
    Stevo_666 said:

I recall that when the various options for the UK - EU relationship were being debated after the referendum, it was reported that the EU was very keen not to repeat the 100+ bilateral agreements that govern EU-Swiss relations.

Yeah, well we didn't have to worry about that, as Farage told us that the Norway model was great.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah, well we didn't have to worry about that, as Farage told us that the Norway model was great.
    So you're taking Farage's word as gospel now? Bit of a U turn.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,870
    I guess someone should tell Sunak since he appears to be "planning for a Swiss style relationship with the EU".
    Stevo_666 said:

• Stevo_666
    monkimark said:

I guess someone should tell Sunak since he appears to be "planning for a Swiss style relationship with the EU".

Stevo_666 said:

Not according to the government...
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/20/uk-not-mulling-swiss-style-deal-eu-insists-steve-barclay/
  • First.Aspect
    What if we just joined he EU? Dispense with all the bilateral agreements, achieve the same thing. It's obvious now I think about it.
  • Stevo_666

What if we just joined he EU? Dispense with all the bilateral agreements, achieve the same thing. It's obvious now I think about it.

There may be a few aspects to that which might not be overly popular with the electorate - free movement of people and adoption of the Euro, for example. I'm assuming of course that there would need to be a referendum and its a bit difficult to see where that will come from given neither major party have said they are looking to rejoin.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

There may be a few aspects to that which might not be overly popular with the electorate - free movement of people and adoption of the Euro, for example. I'm assuming of course that there would need to be a referendum and its a bit difficult to see where that will come from given neither major party have said they are looking to rejoin.
    Yet.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Yet.
    What sort of timescales do you have in mind?
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yet.
    About a decade, I reckon.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yet.
    About a decade, I reckon.
    I see you're an optimist at heart.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,525
    edited November 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

No main party was looking to leave before the last referendum
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

No main party was looking to leave before the last referendum
    True. And?