sunday in a garden of luctutious plants

'ning

rain, with a forecast of rain, then rain, and some rain, followed by rain

cafe splosh, laze and restorative bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Comments

  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,686
    Morning skulking loafers

    The man who invited me to join the local CC aged 17 is now in his mid 70's. A giant of a bloke who once rode for Manchester wheelers/Trumans steel, now has an ebike in winter.
    Doesn't help he's so big (never fat and not as big as he used to be) and he never did go uphill very quickly.
    ...and on the other end of the size spectrum was Ken from Kent. Diminutive bloke who rode a lovely Colnago, still pedalling up and down hills in his mid 70's.
    [Add Kent accent] "... 'aven't stopped pedalling since I woz twe-elve..".

    Anyhoo - brighter than expected but grey stuff is looming.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,214
    oxoman said:

    I never thought I'd recommend an ebike to someone.🤫Don't tell anyone.

    I suggested it to my MTB buddy who struggles to walk after someone knocked him off his bike. He loves it and it means he doesn't have to worry as much about not being able to make it back home if he's fudged.

  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,214
    'ning

    Yoga yoga'd
    Jobs jobbed
    Off to zumba 🤐
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,686
    ***Hot Beans news***

    Digesting paperwork:



    Took him for a moonlit stroll last night. Well, that was after he went up a tree on the way as he attempted to bash me.
    Fireworks didn't seem to bother him.


    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,396
    edited November 2022
    I think the technical term for the weather here is 'minging'. Should get better later so activities deferred until then. The hounds seem to have realised this as well and are curled up being lazy hounds. Time for coffee and lazing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,882
    Grey and a bit damp again. I need to sort out the turbo before fitness ebbs completely. Can't just sit on my arris getting fat. Got invited on a 40 miler by someone who did a 1000km+ trip back in summer, I'll need to up the body state else could be embarassing.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,748
    orraloon said:

    Grey and a bit damp again. I need to sort out the turbo before fitness ebbs completely. Can't just sit on my arris getting fat. Got invited on a 40 miler by someone who did a 1000km+ trip back in summer, I'll need to up the body state else could be embarassing.

    was tempted to get my old kurt kinetic turbo out, then realised i haven't used it since 10-speed era, so the turbo wheel with the turbo tyre has a 10-speed hub/cassette, needs to be 11, hmm, need to research this in case the rain never ends

    pleasant splosh through the soggy leafy streets with a few floody bits, did a lap of the old graveyard and pondered on the transience of human existence amidst the eroded sarcophagi, sat in the cafe and read the paper
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,192
    edited November 2022
    sungod said:

    ...
    was tempted to get my old kurt kinetic turbo out, then realised i haven't used it since 10-speed era, so the turbo wheel with the turbo tyre has a 10-speed hub/cassette, needs to be 11, hmm, need to research this in case the rain never ends
    ...

    Can't comment on SRAM or Shimano but Campagnolo 10 & 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable on wheel hubs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,934
    Busy start after last nights drunken dinner party ended with a conversation about someone’s electricity bill and turning their pool off - so we all went for a swim this morning.

    Party prep stuff and driving a few friends around is the order of the day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,214
    tlw1 said:

    Party prep stuff and driving a few friends around is the order of the day

    Are you coming past me in your time machine?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,214
    sungod said:

    orraloon said:

    Grey and a bit damp again. I need to sort out the turbo before fitness ebbs completely. Can't just sit on my arris getting fat. Got invited on a 40 miler by someone who did a 1000km+ trip back in summer, I'll need to up the body state else could be embarassing.

    was tempted to get my old kurt kinetic turbo out, then realised i haven't used it since 10-speed era, so the turbo wheel with the turbo tyre has a 10-speed hub/cassette, needs to be 11, hmm, need to research this in case the rain never ends
    Just leave it in 1 gear and pretend you've got a hipster singlespeed?

    A SRAM XG-1150 is £130 at Wiggle.
    A flight to Lanzarote is only £111 with BA:


  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,748
    checked the hub, no good for 11, might look for an 11s rear when i get time/motivation, needs to be a 20mm max wide rim to avoid faffing around with the calipers
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,503
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed, time for coffee I reckon. Definitely minging out so hiding indoors.
    If it's on a turbo can't you just leave the caliper lever in the open position SG? Unless you're going down any mountains on it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,748

    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed, time for coffee I reckon. Definitely minging out so hiding indoors.
    If it's on a turbo can't you just leave the caliper lever in the open position SG? Unless you're going down any mountains on it.

    the reason is that they're ee-brakes, they don't open much, and the gap when 'open' isn't centered, if the rim is just a bit wider it'd be ok though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,882
    And... got the old steelie Kona tourer set up on the turbo in the garage and had first turbo sesh in, according to the logs, 3+ years! A much needed option given the prevalent dampness.

    View from the saddle is ok ('cept the mowtah is in the way).


  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,493
    orraloon said:

    And... got the old steelie Kona tourer set up on the turbo in the garage and had first turbo sesh in, according to the logs, 3+ years! A much needed option given the prevalent dampness.

    View from the saddle is ok ('cept the mowtah is in the way).


    Ahh, the reliable Skoda 👍Superb? Might be my next purchase when the Mayor of London bans my current diesel 😕
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,882
    It's the Octavia. A petrol 1.5. Loadsaspace, comfortable drive. Plus loadsatech. V happy with it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,396
    seanoconn said:

    orraloon said:

    And... got the old steelie Kona tourer set up on the turbo in the garage and had first turbo sesh in, according to the logs, 3+ years! A much needed option given the prevalent dampness.

    View from the saddle is ok ('cept the mowtah is in the way).


    Ahh, the reliable Skoda 👍Superb? Might be my next purchase when the Mayor of London bans my current diesel 😕
    Seano, I would do it sooner rather than later if I were you. Once people wake up to what's happening they'll all be trying to sell their older cars, then you'll be practically giving yours away. Ironically I solved my ULEZ problem when I sold my old Mazda and bought The Panzer o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,493
    Stevo_666 said:

    seanoconn said:

    orraloon said:

    And... got the old steelie Kona tourer set up on the turbo in the garage and had first turbo sesh in, according to the logs, 3+ years! A much needed option given the prevalent dampness.

    View from the saddle is ok ('cept the mowtah is in the way).


    Ahh, the reliable Skoda 👍Superb? Might be my next purchase when the Mayor of London bans my current diesel 😕
    Seano, I would do it sooner rather than later if I were you. Once people wake up to what's happening they'll all be trying to sell their older cars, then you'll be practically giving yours away. Ironically I solved my ULEZ problem when I sold my old Mazda and bought The Panzer o:)
    I know but I’m a lazy bugger. I’ve written to the Mayor and told him I’m quite happy with my car and will be unfairly out of pocket if I have to sell and buy like for like. I don’t use it that much to be honest but have a few awkward necessary journey’s that are difficult without a motor.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,748
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,396
    seanoconn said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    seanoconn said:

    orraloon said:

    And... got the old steelie Kona tourer set up on the turbo in the garage and had first turbo sesh in, according to the logs, 3+ years! A much needed option given the prevalent dampness.

    View from the saddle is ok ('cept the mowtah is in the way).


    Ahh, the reliable Skoda 👍Superb? Might be my next purchase when the Mayor of London bans my current diesel 😕
    Seano, I would do it sooner rather than later if I were you. Once people wake up to what's happening they'll all be trying to sell their older cars, then you'll be practically giving yours away. Ironically I solved my ULEZ problem when I sold my old Mazda and bought The Panzer o:)
    I know but I’m a lazy censored . I’ve written to the Mayor and told him I’m quite happy with my car and will be unfairly out of pocket if I have to sell and buy like for like. I don’t use it that much to be honest but have a few awkward necessary journey’s that are difficult without a motor.
    I'm sure he's changed his mind after reading your letter...but maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get something eco friendly anyway?

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Went to the tip in Minehead. Dropped off all the cardboard and packaging. Picked up a vacuum cleaner, a torch and a couple of temporary folding chairs from argos. Cleaned some more, faffed around a bit, drove back to London. I'm back next weekend with my brother, hopefully with a bike to try out the hill.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,568
    oxoman said:

    Morning All. More DIY, replacing kitchen taps that have failed. Taking young oxo to his match later. Currently suffering from plantar issues so running and riding have been backed off a bit whilst various methods employed to remedy it. Done my good deed for the Yr and forwarded the ebike column on here to a friend that I ride with who is starting to struggle a lot on hills etc due to diabetes and being 70. Sometimes he struggles to manage his blood levels and runs out of energy fast. Doesn't help he's as skinny as anything either. I never thought I'd recommend an ebike to someone.🤫Don't tell anyone.

    Evenin' all.

    Oxo - I feel your pain! On both counts. Just been fixing some new taps on the bath that were leaking around the base when using the shower overhead. A right PITA! All done left-handed whilst lying on my side and by feel only. New washers and silicone seem to have worked. Also the Plantar issue. I've been suffering since April last year. Tried every single stretch, rest, ice, heat, physio, exercise, roller etc. to no joy. Really frustrating. Finally saw physio who diagnosed it as Bursitis rather than plantar fasciitis. I have very little fat in my heel pads so that's causing an issue. Super comfy insoles seem to help. Riding is fine though thank God.


    Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,503
    sungod said:

    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed, time for coffee I reckon. Definitely minging out so hiding indoors.
    If it's on a turbo can't you just leave the caliper lever in the open position SG? Unless you're going down any mountains on it.

    the reason is that they're ee-brakes, they don't open much, and the gap when 'open' isn't centered, if the rim is just a bit wider it'd be ok though
    Shame, thought it unlikely you'd have missed the obvious. Nice bit of Sister Rosetta, she isn't wrong.
    Very glad I didn't buy a diesel when we bought the bus, I figured we didn't do enough miles to warrant it so went with a turbo petrol lump. Lad's hoping ULEZ doesn't happen for a while as his Golf is not compliant.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,396

    sungod said:

    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed, time for coffee I reckon. Definitely minging out so hiding indoors.
    If it's on a turbo can't you just leave the caliper lever in the open position SG? Unless you're going down any mountains on it.

    the reason is that they're ee-brakes, they don't open much, and the gap when 'open' isn't centered, if the rim is just a bit wider it'd be ok though
    Shame, thought it unlikely you'd have missed the obvious. Nice bit of Sister Rosetta, she isn't wrong.
    Very glad I didn't buy a diesel when we bought the bus, I figured we didn't do enough miles to warrant it so went with a turbo petrol lump. Lad's hoping ULEZ doesn't happen for a while as his Golf is not compliant.
    I wouldn't bet against it coming in next August, they seem pretty determined to press on with it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,748

    sungod said:

    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed, time for coffee I reckon. Definitely minging out so hiding indoors.
    If it's on a turbo can't you just leave the caliper lever in the open position SG? Unless you're going down any mountains on it.

    the reason is that they're ee-brakes, they don't open much, and the gap when 'open' isn't centered, if the rim is just a bit wider it'd be ok though
    Shame, thought it unlikely you'd have missed the obvious. Nice bit of Sister Rosetta, she isn't wrong.
    Very glad I didn't buy a diesel when we bought the bus, I figured we didn't do enough miles to warrant it so went with a turbo petrol lump. Lad's hoping ULEZ doesn't happen for a while as his Golf is not compliant.
    lady friend who likes ladies initially didn't get it when i applauded the ultra lez policy as a positive sign, then she thought about it and thumped me, gently though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,503
    Stevo_666 said:

    sungod said:

    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed, time for coffee I reckon. Definitely minging out so hiding indoors.
    If it's on a turbo can't you just leave the caliper lever in the open position SG? Unless you're going down any mountains on it.

    the reason is that they're ee-brakes, they don't open much, and the gap when 'open' isn't centered, if the rim is just a bit wider it'd be ok though
    Shame, thought it unlikely you'd have missed the obvious. Nice bit of Sister Rosetta, she isn't wrong.
    Very glad I didn't buy a diesel when we bought the bus, I figured we didn't do enough miles to warrant it so went with a turbo petrol lump. Lad's hoping ULEZ doesn't happen for a while as his Golf is not compliant.
    I wouldn't bet against it coming in next August, they seem pretty determined to press on with it.
    I agree, I did point out to him the previous owner wouldn't have sold it were it not for ULEZ so if it didn't exist he wouldn't have bought the car in the first place. Better to have loved and lost etc...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,934
    thistle_ said:

    tlw1 said:

    Party prep stuff and driving a few friends around is the order of the day

    Are you coming past me in your time machine?
    Ahh man I was close today - come across if you want to go out in it
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,686
    seanoconn said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    seanoconn said:

    orraloon said:

    And... got the old steelie Kona tourer set up on the turbo in the garage and had first turbo sesh in, according to the logs, 3+ years! A much needed option given the prevalent dampness.

    View from the saddle is ok ('cept the mowtah is in the way).


    Ahh, the reliable Skoda 👍Superb? Might be my next purchase when the Mayor of London bans my current diesel 😕
    Seano, I would do it sooner rather than later if I were you. Once people wake up to what's happening they'll all be trying to sell their older cars, then you'll be practically giving yours away. Ironically I solved my ULEZ problem when I sold my old Mazda and bought The Panzer o:)
    I know but I’m a lazy censored . I’ve written to the Mayor and told him I’m quite happy with my car and will be unfairly out of pocket if I have to sell and buy like for like. I don’t use it that much to be honest but have a few awkward necessary journey’s that are difficult without a motor.
    My Bee Em is ULEZ compatible
    tlw1 said:

    thistle_ said:

    tlw1 said:

    Party prep stuff and driving a few friends around is the order of the day

    Are you coming past me in your time machine?
    Ahh man I was close today - come across if you want to go out in it
    What's it like?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Two possums relocated overnight. They’d eluded the trap so far, but moved it to another spot of garden, re-loaded with fresh apple and bits of bread and jam did the trick. Pretty sure there’s a few more lurking.

    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS