Saddle chaffing / pain

2»

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    @vegas76 if you find an old school bike shop they’ll have a selection of saddles you can try before your buy.

You’ll need to allow a few couple of hour rides to make a informed decision if the saddle is for you. Saddle comfort is subjective so only you can decide.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    vegas76 said:

pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

I have chaffing. It happens on every long ride (3hrs +). I have treated with rest and Sudacream (which works a treat) and now much less acute but still some tenderness which will, no doubt flare up on a longer ride. It is always the same spot, which roughly is under my left sit bone.

I really want to try to prevent this from recurring...

This sounds very much like an ill fitting saddle or shorts.
    Unfortunately the solution is very independent and can only be found by trial and error.
    This is the last thing I wanted to hear as trying multiple saddles / bibs is a pretty expensive affair. How does one choose without spending a fortune?
    Bibs are awkward unless you are happy with second hand. Saddles are easy. Buy well reviews ones on the Bay and sell on for little overhead. Keep if you are happy.
    There used to be saddle swap thread on here.

My tip for bib sizing is that the hip size is the critical factor, using a tape measure, not a trouser size.
    Thanks - will bear this in mind. Do I want the pad to be bigger rather than smaller (I know you can choose the size on some bibs).

Does this mean that with the right size, any bibs will be right?

What I don't understand is that I have some Castelli winter bibs which are very comfortable. So I bought the summer version, same pad and same size and they are really unpleasant.
    I found I had to wear my Castelli bibs in. They started stiff and nappy like. Now they are the most comfortable I have (compared to Ale and Sportful).

• typically saddle too wide, too padded and/or bum too fat.
    Ironically, you are better off with a naked slab of carbon fibre, than using all those mega foam stuffed saddles
    left the forum March 2023
  • typically saddle too wide, too padded and/or bum too fat.
    Ironically, you are better off with a naked slab of carbon fibre, than using all those mega foam stuffed saddles

Except when pros get them.

It will be position, the padding in the shorts or a bit of both. Could be the saddle itself, but if was my money I'd try tinkering first, shorts second and saddle third.