Saddle chaffing / pain

I've just done a cycle holiday and had to have a couple of days off to rest chaffing on my rear end. I wear a mix of LeCol / Rapha Cargo bibs, always use chamois cream and have had a bike fit.

It's always the same place that gets aggravated.

What do I do to stop this?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited September 2022
    Different saddle is an option.

Keeping area clean and dry. Shower, talc, loose shorts post ride.

Paraffin or vinegar (malt, such as Sardons, not balsamic) on the affected area also works onders - stings at first but then settles it all down in 15 or 20 mind.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Is it chaffing or do you have a saddle sore?

Witch hazel is a less extreme option than applying paraffin….which made me wonder, have you met MF in real life and what did he do to upset you for him to suggest parrafin ;-) like he says it’ll work but it’ll be disco inferno time down there, burn baby burn.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Where about is the saddle sore?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    Exactly as Slowmart says re W/H (v good call)

Meths as well, rubbing alcohol. Terps in an emergency.

TCP for old fashioned school nurse/football changing room smell/reminiscing.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

Different saddle is an option.

Keeping area clean and dry. Shower, talc, loose shorts post ride.

Paraffin or vinegar (malt, such as Sardons, not balsamic) on the affected area also works onders - stings at first but then settles it all down in 15 or 20 mind.

Careful, next thing will be the call for piccies as theMFsmurf likes to demand.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    I have chaffing. It happens on every long ride (3hrs +). I have treated with rest and Sudacream (which works a treat) and now much less acute but still some tenderness which will, no doubt flare up on a longer ride. It is always the same spot, which roughly is under my left sit bone.

I really want to try to prevent this from recurring...

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    vegas76 said:

I have chaffing. It happens on every long ride (3hrs +). I have treated with rest and Sudacream (which works a treat) and now much less acute but still some tenderness which will, no doubt flare up on a longer ride. It is always the same spot, which roughly is under my left sit bone.

This sounds very much like an ill fitting saddle or shorts.
    Unfortunately the solution is very independent and can only be found by trial and error.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

Unfortunately the solution is very independent and can only be found by trial and error.
    Sounds like sitting slightly to one side to me.
  • vegas76
    pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

This is the last thing I wanted to hear as trying multiple saddles / bibs is a pretty expensive affair. How does one choose without spending a fortune?
  • vegas76

pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

Sounds like sitting slightly to one side to me.
    It could be, but eventually both side hurt.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2022
    vegas76 said:

pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

This is the last thing I wanted to hear as trying multiple saddles / bibs is a pretty expensive affair. How does one choose without spending a fortune?
    Bibs are awkward unless you are happy with second hand. Saddles are easy. Buy well reviews ones on the Bay and sell on for little overhead. Keep if you are happy.
    There used to be saddle swap thread on here.

My tip for bib sizing is that the hip size is the critical factor, using a tape measure, not a trouser size.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    Have you tried lowering your saddle?
  • vegas76
    seanoconn said:

Have you tried lowering your saddle?

I had a bike fit so would be surprised if that was the problem, but was going to refer to him on this issue and see what he suggests.
  • vegas76
    edited September 2022
    pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

Bibs are awkward unless you are happy with second hand. Saddles are easy. Buy well reviews ones on the Bay and sell on for little overhead. Keep if you are happy.
    There used to be saddle swap thread on here.

My tip for bib sizing is that the hip size is the critical factor, using a tape measure, not a trouser size.
    Thanks - will bear this in mind. Do I want the pad to be bigger rather than smaller (I know you can choose the size on some bibs).

Does this mean that with the right size, any bibs will be right?

What I don't understand is that I have some Castelli winter bibs which are very comfortable. So I bought the summer version, same pad and same size and they are really unpleasant.
  • pblakeney
    vegas76 said:

What I don't understand is that I have some Castelli winter bibs which are very comfortable. So I bought the summer version, same pad and same size and they are really unpleasant.

🤔 My Free Aero (race fit) bibs are tighter than my Nanoflex but neither chaff.
    Can't comment on the bigger or smaller pad as that again is a personal fit.

Do the winter bibs chaff?

Veronese68 wrote:
  • vegas76
    The winter bibs are very comfortable. At least they were, the last time I rode it them!
  • Shorter cranks can help, lots of stuff on the net, even bike fitters stick with usual crank length.
  • vegas76
    mazwmb said:

Shorter cranks can help, lots of stuff on the net, even bike fitters stick with usual crank length.

Funnily enough, the bike fitter mentioned that I should get shorter cranks (currently have 172.5mm I think) if possible.
  • pblakeney
    vegas76 said:

The winter bibs are very comfortable. At least they were, the last time I rode it them!

You have 6 months to figure it out! 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • vegas76
    pblakeney said:

vegas76 said:

You have 6 months to figure it out! 🤣
    I'll be in the winter bibs soon enough :smile:
  • vegas76 said:

mazwmb said:

Shorter cranks can help, lots of stuff on the net, even bike fitters stick with usual crank length.

Funnily enough, the bike fitter mentioned that I should get shorter cranks (currently have 172.5mm I think) if possible.
    Yup, I’ve gone from 172.5 to 165.
  • It’s your saddle / it’s your bibs is way too easy and explanation and usually wrong.

You say you’ve had a bike fit. What kind of fit? Was it a bloke with laptop fit-by-numbers job? Or was it a good one where they took posture etc into account? You could have a slightly misaligned pelvis/hips/lower spine which causes one sided effects after a while. Slightly dropped shoulder on one side can also push you out of alignment. A trip to the Chiropractor could be beneficial, and a fit from an expert fitter that takes every aspect into account - there are sadly very few of the latter.
  • MattFalle

It’s your saddle / it’s your bibs is way too easy and explanation and usually wrong.

You say you’ve had a bike fit. What kind of fit? Was it a bloke with laptop fit-by-numbers job? Or was it a good one where they took posture etc into account? You could have a slightly misaligned pelvis/hips/lower spine which causes one sided effects after a while. Slightly dropped shoulder on one side can also push you out of alignment. A trip to the Chiropractor could be beneficial, and a fit from an expert fitter that takes every aspect into account - there are sadly very few of the latter.

or could just be saddle.
  • seanoconn
    mazwmb said:

vegas76 said:

mazwmb said:

Did the same last week, but for slight hip impingement not saddle discomfort.
  • seanoconn
    Honestly OP, I’d try lowering the saddle first before you consider another bike fit/new saddle/new cranks. It’s totally free, easy and can always put raise it again if doesn’t work.

While a bike fitter might know what should suit you, They don’t know your body and aren’t with outside the bike fit studio.
  • vegas76
    seanoconn said:

mazwmb said:

vegas76 said:

mazwmb said:

Did it make a difference?
  • seanoconn
    vegas76 said:

seanoconn said:

mazwmb said:

vegas76 said:

mazwmb said:

Did it make a difference?
    Yes, I don’t need to lift my knees as high so more room for my hips. But as I said, that had nothing to do with saddle discomfort.
  • seanoconn said:

Honestly OP, I’d try lowering the saddle first before you consider another bike fit/new saddle/new cranks. It’s totally free, easy and can always put raise it again if doesn’t work.

While a bike fitter might know what should suit you, They don’t know your body and aren’t with outside the bike fit studio.

Yes could well be this. Marginally too high could mean lopsided to reach pedals on whichever side you are least able to maintain a pointy toed position.

You could also try slightly tipping the nose down, and/or moving the saddle forward.

Don't use a bike fit like the bible. The fitter doesn't see you after 3 hours, and doesn't see you on your own bike (or, at least, not when that bike is actually moving).
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

Seano talks sense.

bike fits are not a panacea to all evils.
  • Saddle sore is usually caused by pressure/friction, saddle sore in the same place is repeated pressure in that area and is most likely caused by an imbalance in the pedal stroke.

What is causing this imbalance could be any number of things as highlighted in the posts above.

I get one on my right side fairly regularly but fortunately it is usually pain free and does not effect cycling. Too long winded to get into but mine is due to various injuries which have left me slightly out of whack. I list to the left slightly on the saddle which means my right side tries to overcompensate, causing the friction as I pedal.