Full 9270 groupset for a new bike - anything I may have not considered?

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited September 2022
    No goal or expectation, but as @yellowv2 mentions, every fit review at the moment, is suggesting cleats as far back as you can, and shorter cranks.

All I am thinking is it's not everyday I buy a DA groupset, and I'd like to get the best one I can, with optimal parts and sizes etc if at all possible.

My instinct is to stick with 172.5s - if I dropped to 170 my saddle height would increase by the same amount, and due to my long inseam / shortish torso I already have a pretty healthy drop from saddle to bars on a road bike.

@yellowv2 you guys have amazing memories on here, and yes I did - in excess of 2 years ago now I think!

He was very good and knowledgable, but due to my DIY tinkering at home one bike he left exactly as was, and the other he adjusted the saddle height by 2mm iirc, and that was it!

Good to have my instinct and feel over several years confirmed, but I felt a bit disappointed not to have gotten more out of it.

I still paid the man of course!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • My own experience of midfoot cleats ( or as close to) would suggest this is something to try if you aren't already.

If you have the inclination to investigate crank length further have a read of this. I've always found his articles very well thought out and thought provoking.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/06/crank-length-which-one/
    Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • daniel_b
    I haven't looked to re-drilling shoes, or adapters to allow the cleat to go further back, but I have pushed the look cleats as far back as they will go on my shoes, and have not had any discomfort or issues caused by this.

I am currently nearly at my highest FTP as well, so it's not inhibiting me at all, but no real proof that it might be a contributory factor, over and above my steady workout progression.

I'll have a read on that link, thanks.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    why are they now saying cleats all the way back when only 5 minutes ago they were saying vleats all the way forward,?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    and has anyone actually ever noticed any difference?
  • daniel_b
    MattFalle said:

why are they now saying cleats all the way back when only 5 minutes ago they were saying vleats all the way forward,?

From my understanding, the theory behind it is that the leg is the source of power, so the further forward on the foot the cleat is, the greater the distance from that lever to the point of contact.

Clearly there is a limit to this, but I can see the logic behind it, and have had no negative impact.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    MattFalle said:

Cos all these bike fitters are simply following trends.
    Might as well read tea leaves Papa Smurf.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    they used to say forward for power, middle for, errr, middling, rear for comfort.

I reckon its all baloney.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

they used to say forward for power, middle for, errr, middling, rear for comfort.

I reckon its all baloney.

And now they’ve moved on to short cranks. Which are a must have at £400 a set.
  • I don't think any of them would recommend changing what you have but if buying new now then.....
    That is certainly what has been suggested to me.
    In my opinion it is not different to any other studies that are led by science, they can and often do change over time.
  • MattFalle
    science 😀😀😀😀😀