friday with captain napalm's thermonuclear league of liberty

'ning

nippy

ride cafes wfh, early bail, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Moaning,

Crikey it’s nippy out there – guess I can pack the shorts away till next year :'(

Pre-work chores completed, warming up now before WFW Hopefully a beer or two later on

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    oxoman said:

Morning Workers...

Oi.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    It is fresh. It is September after all.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Surprisingly nippy this morning. No likey.

Just ordered some shorter cranks. Straight forward jobby to change? Or anything I can potentially fuck up?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Mornin

Was bucketing it down this morning so sacked off riding to work, although it's nice and sunny now but no regrets as feeling like poo anyway.

Nothing planned for later.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Wondered why there was a bike in the dinning room and then remembered I nipped in for a quick pint at the end of my ride last night and got home the early hours this morning 🙄

Work stuff with people getting potted so basically a day on the phone gossiping

Later is out with friends
  • seanoconn said:

Just ordered some shorter cranks. Straight forward jobby to change? Or anything I can potentially censored up?

Easier to just order a new bike with the right length cranks on.

But, depending on what the cranks are, can be anywhere from fairly simple to almost certain death.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1 said:

Wondered why there was a bike in the dinning room and then remembered I nipped in for a quick pint at the end of my ride last night and got home the early hours this morning 🙄

Do you have (poor) rellos out here? Followed a car into town today with rego plate "TLW71"... It was a sh!tbox hatchback, so perhaps some distant convict cousins?

Rubbish day, steady rain since about 10am. Spent a couple hours in the shed faffing about with random stuff till I got bored.

Otherwise meh.
  • thistle_
    I know I'm looking for a new job/career but I think this is taking the biscuit:

• seanoconn said:

Just ordered some shorter cranks. Straight forward jobby to change? Or anything I can potentially censored up?

Agree on the nippiness. My warmers and base layers are all vac packed away in the loft with the winter kit. Slightly unwilling to get it out already, but I suppose it makes sense.

I reckon cranks should be a doddle, take pedals off (although I always cock this up - I have 2 different pedals as I can't ever undo the drive side pedal), undo a couple of bolts, take off a crank, slide out the other side, unbolt the crank from the chainring, bolt on new crank to chainring, slide back in, put on other new crank, do up a couple of bolts, put pedals back on, ride off to certain death as your cranks detach from the bike when approaching a busy junction.

I reckon an early bail is on the cards ahead of a weekend of hair shirts, sackcloth and ashes, rending of garments and tearing out what is left of my hair.

I heard the upcoming bank hol referred to as the "statey funes" and the "boohoobilee". I prefer the latter.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Easier to just order a new bike with the right length cranks on.

But, depending on what the cranks are, can be anywhere from fairly simple to almost certain death.

You b.ugger! I need the shorter cranks so I can reach the pedals.

If you could nip over and do it for me, I could stretch to buying you half a pint in return 👍
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Agree on the nippiness. My warmers and base layers are all vac packed away in the loft with the winter kit. Slightly unwilling to get it out already, but I suppose it makes sense.

I reckon cranks should be a doddle, take pedals off (although I always censored this up - I have 2 different pedals as I can't ever undo the drive side pedal), undo a couple of bolts, take off a crank, slide out the other side, unbolt the crank from the chainring, bolt on new crank to chainring, slide back in, put on other new crank, do up a couple of bolts, put pedals back on, ride off to certain death as your cranks detach from the bike when approaching a busy junction.

I reckon an early bail is on the cards ahead of a weekend of hair shirts, sackcloth and ashes, rending of garments and tearing out what is left of my hair.

I heard the upcoming bank hol referred to as the "statey funes" and the "boohoobilee". I prefer the latter.
    Taking mechanical advice from hop 😞 I’ve just hit a new low 😢

😜
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

tlw1 said:

Do you have (poor) rellos out here? Followed a car into town today with rego plate "TLW71"... It was a sh!tbox hatchback, so perhaps some distant convict cousins?

Rubbish day, steady rain since about 10am. Spent a couple hours in the shed faffing about with random stuff till I got bored.

Otherwise meh.
    No poor ones 😂
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

I reckon cranks should be a doddle, take pedals off (although I always censored this up - I have 2 different pedals as I can't ever undo the drive side pedal), undo a couple of bolts, take off a crank, slide out the other side, unbolt the crank from the chainring, bolt on new crank to chainring, slide back in, put on other new crank, do up a couple of bolts, put pedals back on, ride off to certain death as your cranks detach from the bike when approaching a busy junction.

😜
    You haven't asked me yet :)

Having a day off so get a few things done/hounds walked in the morning, then off later to see a mate who's just had an E-Type refurbished. Might go for a quick spin in it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Nippiness has engulfed us all, was chuffing freezing out this morning. Still, 20 miles on dry roads is better than none.
    Taking it easy on the beer front today and tomorrow, weekend will include some swimming and cycling.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

😜
    I learned from a master though. 😁
  • Nippiness has engulfed us all, was chuffing freezing out this morning. Still, 20 miles on dry roads is better than none.
    Taking it easy on the beer front today and tomorrow, weekend will include some swimming and cycling.

Did you manage to find a brisket?
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

😜
    You haven't asked me yet :)

😂😂👍
  • pinno
    edited September 2022
    First: what cranks have you got now?
    Second: what cranks are you going to fit?

Pedal removal. On the right hand side of your bike, all things tighten towards the front of the bike and on the left side, all things tighten towards the back of the bike.
    Now, you'll have to reverse that in your head for removal.
    If you stand on the right hand side (if you have a bike stand - if not, lie on your belly :smile: ) and remove your left pedal from there, the loosing/tightening is in the same direction, i'e anti-clockwise. Comprende?
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

Pedal removal. On the right hand side of your bike, all things tighten towards the front of the bike and on the left side, all things tighten towards the back of the bike.
    If you stand on the right hand side (if you have a bike stand - if not, lie on your belly :smile: ) and remove your left pedal from there, the loosing/tightening is in the same direction, i'e anti-clockwise. Comprende?

Oh for f.uck sake, I’m not that bloody incompetent. Yes, I know how to take pedals off!

I’m dropping from 172.5mm to 165mm. Slight hip impingement, specially running cleats further back and no you can’t have the 172.5 cranks.
  • thistle_
    seanoconn said:

Take a photo of any spacers/washers/shields on the spindle so you can put them back on in the right order and the right way round.

Mine goes bb, bearing shield, wavy washer, plastic spacer, metal spacer, crank, washer, bolt :neutral:

Assume it's not simple square taper? :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    thistle_ said:

seanoconn said:

Take a photo of any spacers/washers/shields on the spindle so you can put them back on in the right order and the right way round.

Mine goes bb, bearing shield, wavy washer, plastic spacer, metal spacer, crank, washer, bolt :neutral:

Assume it's not simple square taper? :smile:
    Easy answer - give it to the bike shop. Reduces the chance of f ups in my experience :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited September 2022
    New crank, all else remaining exactly the same?

take off pedals
    unship chain
    2x NDS bolts
    Remove crank
    slide off DS crank
    Greaseup (moly) new ds crank
    Slip it in sll the way
    Slip on NDS
    If centre bolt type, do up centre bolt (Shimano)
    2x NDS bolts
    Put chain on
    Grease pedal threads, put on
    Go out and pull skids and monos

Simples, innit
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Went out for ride.

nippy.

Perfetto,leg and arm warmers.

Quite fancy a Cup a Soup, tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Did you manage to find a brisket?
    I did thank you, for the princely sum of twenty six English pounds. I've also got for a dark porter style ale to make my mop sauce.
    I've also got one of the workshop minions knocking up a BBQ separator so the meat sits adjacent to the coals rather than above them.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_

I've also got one of the workshop minions knocking up a BBQ separator so the meat sits adjacent to the coals rather than above them.

Like some tin foil?

• seanoconn
    MattFalle said:

take off pedals
    unship chain
    2x NDS bolts
    Remove crank
    slide off DS crank
    Slip it in sll the way
    Slip on NDS
    2x NDS bolts
    Put chain on

Simples, innit

Unship chain 😃 Like the sound of that 👍

Do I need a shimano pre load tool to get the pre load cap off on the NDS crank?
  • thistle_ said:

Like some tin foil?

No, some decorative perforated mesh we have left over from a job.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Oh for f.uck sake, I’m not that bloody incompetent. Yes, I know how to take pedals off!

I’m dropping from 172.5mm to 165mm. Slight hip impingement, specially running cleats further back and no you can’t have the 172.5 cranks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUygkHlcVMQ
  • seanoconn said:

MattFalle said:

take off pedals
    unship chain
    2x NDS bolts
    Remove crank
    slide off DS crank
    Slip it in sll the way
    Slip on NDS
    2x NDS bolts
    Put chain on

Simples, innit

Unship chain 😃 Like the sound of that 👍

Do I need a shimano pre load tool to get the pre load cap off on the NDS crank?
    It's not really necessary - helps, and likely makes the job easier to avoid any damage to the plastic, but that cap should be barely more than finger tight anyway. If you have some multi grips or large vice grips, just wrap a rubber band round the cap outer edge for protection and gently use those pliers/tools.