Chain Stay Rubbing on crank arm Edit: Front derailleur

2»

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,592
    What you've described ("chain froze") sounds like 'chain suck'. Were you changing gear (on the front) when it happened?

It occurs when the chain doesn't disengage from the teeth of the chainring, causing the chain to wrap around the chainring. This can knock the front derailleur out of alignment, or worse, bend it.
    Check the chainrings aren't worn. A really dirty/dry chain could also be the cause, but yours does look sparkling clean.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 421
    edited September 2022

It's not the crank arm separating from the crank as shimano have been known to do ?
  • masjer said:

What you've described ("chain froze") sounds like 'chain suck'. Were you changing gear (on the front) when it happened?

It occurs when the chain doesn't disengage from the teeth of the chainring, causing the chain to wrap around the chainring. This can knock the front derailleur out of alignment, or worse, bend it.
    Check the chainrings aren't worn. A really dirty/dry chain could also be the cause, but yours does look sparkling clean.

Thanks this was what I was looking for. Yes it happened as I was changing. I try to clean it regularly. I will check it again later. Thank you.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

I personally love it when a pace mate latches on to my back wheel on my way to work.

its not for everyone and that is just a bad cyclist if they are that close. I always ensure there is a lot of distances between incase of sudden breaks or turns. The point is not to be up someone's bottom but to push myself a little faster some days if I have more energy. It isn't even always the person in front of me but someone much further down the road.
    So first of all you change the name of a front mech to a chain stay. Now you change the name of a chain gang to pace mates.
    Ever thought of getting a book on cycling.
    nope, I cycle because I enjoy it not because I am trying to prove myself to anyone. The whole chain-stay thing was my bad fine, but does it matter if me and my group call it a pace mate or something else entirely? no, it does not. I don't do group cycles, so if there are specific words for this then fine, but I call it this as my work colleague and I do this on our commutes with each other and this is what he called it- I think the chain gang thing is probably more related to there being a group then a two people.
    Then it would be a two up.
    I was going to say pace mate sounds like a bit of innuendo but really 2 up doesn’t any better. ;)
  • cllowryglen
    cllowryglen Posts: 28
    edited September 2022

It's not the crank arm separating from the crank as shimano have been known to do ?

crank felt pretty stable...

wow I hope you didnt get hurt when that happened! I now worry about my crank :o
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

a wafty crank can always cause a loss of sleep.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

webboo said:

I personally love it when a pace mate latches on to my back wheel on my way to work.

its not for everyone and that is just a bad cyclist if they are that close. I always ensure there is a lot of distances between incase of sudden breaks or turns. The point is not to be up someone's bottom but to push myself a little faster some days if I have more energy. It isn't even always the person in front of me but someone much further down the road.
    So first of all you change the name of a front mech to a chain stay. Now you change the name of a chain gang to pace mates.
    nope, I cycle because I enjoy it not because I am trying to prove myself to anyone. The whole chain-stay thing was my bad fine, but does it matter if me and my group call it a pace mate or something else entirely? no, it does not. I don't do group cycles, so if there are specific words for this then fine, but I call it this as my work colleague and I do this on our commutes with each other and this is what he called it- I think the chain gang thing is probably more related to there being a group then a two people.
    Then it would be a two up.
    I was going to say pace mate sounds like a bit of innuendo but really 2 up doesn’t any better. ;)
    depends if he takes on his pace mate without the pace mate bring properly paced we suppose.
  • MattFalle

webboo said:

so is there a group of you pace mating esch other?

MF thought that you just pace mate'd by yourself?

• It's not the crank arm separating from the crank as shimano have been known to do ?

More common than you think
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

a wafty crank can always cause a loss of sleep.
    I thought it was something you did when you couldn’t sleep. I suppose it’s not something you do when sharing a sleeping bag in a foxhole.
  • It's not the crank arm separating from the crank as shimano have been known to do ?

It's not all that common. Fwiw if it does happen it tends to give you some warning. Early signs are what feels like a bent pedal. It is a distinct and very odd sensation. If you then find that the outer chain ring doesn't extent smoothly to the crank, it is about to fail and you will unfortunately need to go shopping.

Only an issue with ultegra and dura ace. If you have 105 or lower, you won't see this.

Your issue is just the front mech though so don't worry.
  • MattFalle said:

webboo said:

so is there a group of you pace mating esch other?

MF thought that you just pace mate'd by yourself?
    No, I usually only do it if me and my colleague is going home/to work the same time as we live in the same direction. But I was in earlier yesterday so me and another cyclist decided to have a bit of fun since the lane was empty at 5.40am with just us two. As I said I don't do group rides really so I only do it with people rarely and usually for small distances as you can't guarantee what is going on. Never if its peak times and the lane is busy. Thats just asking for trouble.
  • So it turned out the front mech had a bend in it and was not tightening back up fully. So just replace that and everything was good.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,592

So it turned out the front mech had a bend in it and was not tightening back up fully. So just replace that and everything was good.

Cheers for the update. Good work!
  • So it turned out the front mech had a bend in it and was not tightening back up fully. So just replace that and everything was good.

Great. As you learn about it, this sort of stuff gets quite fun. Until it doesn't because you break something. Not that I ever have.

Anyhow don't be deterred by the mild ribbing on the forum.
  • MattFalle
    ribbing is good sometimes, it can bring pleasure to a bland situation.

overall though,don't tke this bicycling stuff too seriouly - many do snd we've all seen where that ends up

#BCdon'tcyclegate
  • Taking cycling too seriously can lead to not saying hello to other cyclists because you are training too seriously.

• cllowryglen
    cllowryglen Posts: 28
    edited September 2022

So it turned out the front mech had a bend in it and was not tightening back up fully. So just replace that and everything was good.

Great. As you learn about it, this sort of stuff gets quite fun. Until it doesn't because you break something. Not that I ever have.

Anyhow don't be deterred by the mild ribbing on the forum.
    Ribbing is fine, so long as it doesn't get too insulting or personal. I am learning a lot about my bike by rebuilding it and repainting it. It can be a bit frustrating at times but I am enjoying it. I don't think I will ever take cycling so seriously that I wont nod hello to others, but in London I rarely get a nod back.
  • London is not the world centre of friendliness. Doesn't help that there are so many cyclists.
  • MattFalle
    Don't go knocking/tarring London Dynamo with the same brush please.