Chain Stay Rubbing on crank arm Edit: Front derailleur

cllowryglen
cllowryglen Posts: 28
edited September 2022 in Workshop
Hello
This morning I was cycling, nothing to note happened but suddenly my chain froze and I couldn't pedal forwards, backwards but not forwards. So I conceded to my pace partner and checked for a chain slip or something. Chain was fine but I noticed that the chain stay [front derailleur sorry] was a bit wonky and was not letting the chain pass as it kept hitting when I tried.
After moving it back into place I slowly continued on but now it is hitting the crank every rotation.
Any Ideas?
No recent dings or knocks to the bike just very sudden.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Either your crank, bottom bracket have come loose or your chain stay has snapped.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,907
    edited September 2022
    Look for any visible signs of damage then if none tighten your cranks.
    Shimano by any chance?

Edit - If this was the bike that was serviced then take it straight back!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Er, moving your chain stay back?
  • cllowryglen
    edited September 2022
    webboo said:

Either your crank, bottom bracket have come loose or your chain stay has snapped.

Ahh I was hoping it would not be the bottom bracket.
  • webboo
    I would rather have a loose bottom bracket than a snapped chain stay.
  • pblakeney said:

Look for any visible signs of damage then if none tighten your cranks.
    Shimano by any chance?

Edit - If this was the bike that was serviced then take it straight back!

Thankfully it is not, otherwise definitely taking it back have had to do that with a previous bike when the bb went and I paid for it to be replaced, took 3 weeks nearly £100 and they hadn't fixed it had to turn round and take it straight back.

It is indeed shimano, I found no visible cracks or anything. The only thing with any give in it is the chain stay which has now decided that it doesn't have the space it wants between the crank arm and its cage.

Yes, did this to continue my commute but rather than jam it, it now just rubs and sort of clanks everytime it rotates
  • webboo said:

I would rather have a loose bottom bracket than a snapped chain stay.

It was more I have not worked on a bb before
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,907
    edited September 2022

Er, moving your chain stay back?

Yes, did this to continue my commute but rather than jam it, it now just rubs and sort of clanks everytime it rotates
    In which case you have now permanently damaged your frame, although if it moves then it was already broken.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    In 40 plus years of cycling I have never known a bottom bracket become so loose/knackered so as to allow the crank to hit the chain stay. You must have destroyed it.

Your frame shouldn't have any moving parts.
  • Okay I am not entirely sure how a simple commute can destroy my bike without any significant trauma. I will recheck the stay
  • Are you sure you mean chain stay?
  • OP, What are you referring to as the chain stay? The chain stay is the frame of the bike between the bottom bracket to the rear drop out so should not be movable.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Munsford0 said:

Are you sure you mean chain stay?

I'm suspecting they mean crank, otherwise it sounds like a death trap :o
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cllowryglen
    edited September 2022

So maybe I am wrong but I thought this was the chain stay? The cage that keeps the chain in place?

Okay I am an idiot, I mean the front derailleur....
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    So chain is hitting front mech?

Sounds like a simple front mech set up needed - youtube vid or drop into a LBS and should cost a tenner or so.

by the way, whats a "pace partner"?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • If the crank is hitting the FD it sounds like it has taken a knock and twisted sideways. Could just be needing twisting back so it's parallel with chainrings
  • MattFalle said:

So chain is hitting front mech?

Sounds like a simple front mech set up needed - youtube vid or drop into a LBS and should cost a tenner or so.

by the way, whats a "pace partner"?

Someone who is a bit quicker then you so you adjust your pace to keep up or overtake. I stay away from the Tour De France cyclists though but it helps motivate me to increase my speed a bit
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    so a mate you ride into work with?

or just a random bod you latch on to whether they like it or not?

sorry but the MFs are a bit confused.
  • MattFalle said:

so a mate you ride into work with?

or just a random bod you latch on to whether they like it or not?

sorry but the MFs are a bit confused.

MF?
    Random bod on the way to work. I rarely do it as too busy and not my thing but we were the only two people on the cycle lane this morning. I got a nod of agreement so we were good to go
  • MattFalle
    Do you take turns to "pace"? Is there an agreed speed?
  • MattFalle said:

Do you take turns to "pace"? Is there an agreed speed?

No, the pace is set by the fastest/ person in front. You can change at any time if the person is not pushing you or has turned off on a different street. Its just a way to make the commute a bit more fun and throw in a little sprint training somedays. I have had some very fun pace mates who have really pushed me to go my fastest.
  • I personally love it when a pace mate latches on to my back wheel on my way to work.
  • I personally love it when a pace mate latches on to my back wheel on my way to work.

its not for everyone and that is just a bad cyclist if they are that close. I always ensure there is a lot of distances between incase of sudden breaks or turns. The point is not to be up someone's bottom but to push myself a little faster some days if I have more energy. It isn't even always the person in front of me but someone much further down the road.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,464
    First of all check those small bolts holding the bracket onto the seat tube are tight. I've known a few like that and they do come loose. Then adjust the angle of the front derailleur so that it is parallel to the chain ring using the larger bolt that holds it to the bracket and adjust action/stop limits accordingly.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo

I personally love it when a pace mate latches on to my back wheel on my way to work.

its not for everyone and that is just a bad cyclist if they are that close. I always ensure there is a lot of distances between incase of sudden breaks or turns. The point is not to be up someone's bottom but to push myself a little faster some days if I have more energy. It isn't even always the person in front of me but someone much further down the road.
    So first of all you change the name of a front mech to a chain stay. Now you change the name of a chain gang to pace mates.
    Ever thought of getting a book on cycling.
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022

I personally love it when a pace mate latches on to my back wheel on my way to work.

this. it makes me, and I believe ll the MFs, very happy especially if its windy, raining or in a perfect world, both at once..
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

So first of all you change the name of a front mech to a chain stay. Now you change the name of a chain gang to pace mates.
    chain gang needs more than two participants, one of whom may not even want to be there surely?

isn't this more of a link gang? if ond person gets dropped really it could be a quick link.
  • cllowryglen
    edited September 2022
    webboo said:

nope, I cycle because I enjoy it not because I am trying to prove myself to anyone. The whole chain-stay thing was my bad fine, but does it matter if me and my group call it a pace mate or something else entirely? no, it does not. I don't do group cycles, so if there are specific words for this then fine, but I call it this as my work colleague and I do this on our commutes with each other and this is what he called it- I think the chain gang thing is probably more related to there being a group then a two people.