New Swift Smart Trainer - bit of a bargain?

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Is there not a case to be made that a whole load of trainers were bought during lockdowns so demand is now diminished?

Doesn't seem to be at this price.
    That was kinda my point. People who really wanted one have already got one.
    New buyers are being tempted at the new low cost point.
    I've got a wheel on trainer that I've been happy with for years, but at this price, I'll buy a direct drive one to replace it.

The price changes demand.
    Direct drive is a game changer KG.
    True.
    I went from a Rock n Roll to a Neo 2T. No regrets even at full RRP.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    daniel_b said:

Neo 1s are still changing hands for ~£400.

That's because they are still the benchmark for DD turbos
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Is there not a case to be made that a whole load of trainers were bought during lockdowns so demand is now diminished?

Doesn't seem to be at this price.
    That was kinda my point. People who really wanted one have already got one.
    New buyers are being tempted at the new low cost point.
    I've got a wheel on trainer that I've been happy with for years, but at this price, I'll buy a direct drive one to replace it.

The price changes demand.
    Direct drive is a game changer KG.
    Totally agree,
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863
    edited October 2022

daniel_b said:

Neo 1s are still changing hands for ~£400.

It's still a very good trainer and will outperform the cheaper direct drives like the Flux, Suito, and in many ways the new Zwift / Jetblack. Though you'd need balls to buy a 7 year old out of warranty bit of electronics.
    Albeit you can get a Neo2SE for £700 from Wiggle, which whilst not majorly upgraded, at least is new with the warranty that goes with that.
    Agreed - I have one from 2017, so 5.5 years old.

I've fitted the ReAxle, as well as the bearing service kit, oh and a new shimano freehub to replace the edco original.

There is a chap in Aylsebury I think it is (Turbo trainer doctor or similar), who repairs Neos as well as many other turbo trainers, and gets rave reviews.
    Mines a little rough, but still fine, but am considering taking it to him for a general service and health check, as it would be nice to get maybe 10 years out of it.

Mine gets used week in week out, on average 4-6 hours per week, and has done pretty consistently for the last 5.5 years.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019

If you can get a cheap H3 I've had one for 2 years with no complaints.

Only slight issue is if you are a sprinter it's supposedly good for measuring up to 2000 watts but mine won't register much over half that - but I've had the same issue with other turbos, and any power meter I've ever used.

Nothing to do with the power your legs are capable of putting out then? :D

Yeah just kidding - it's actually fine in case anyone was put off buying one !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • So I guess as they are pretty much the same price right now, the consensus would be Saris H3 rather than the Zwift Hub (i.e. JetBlack volt v2)?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    edited October 2022

So I guess as they are pretty much the same price right now, the consensus would be Saris H3 rather than the Zwift Hub (i.e. JetBlack volt v2)?

I've had my H3 since around Easter, not used it much over the summer and when I have it's mainly been short races, but power matching in ERG mode for workouts is massively better than my old Direto ever was. Quick to adjust to new interval requirements and then adapt to my cadence/effort in both Zwift and Wahoo RGT.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    edited October 2022
    So with various cashbacks etc, I can get a Saris H3 for about £420 from Halfords which sounds like a deal. Going to do that. Thanks for the advice.