New Swift Smart Trainer - bit of a bargain?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    My biggest concern with it at the moment is if they decide to require a Zwift subscription in the future. If you subscribe to zwift and need a new trainer then it's probably a no brainer.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    It's interesting alright. I was hoping to get a decent price for my kickr core and buy a new wattbike, but I doubt that now. Perhaps it will be good for the market. Bring the cost of trainers and smart bikes down, time will tell....
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    DCR seems to hint at accuracy problems in his video.

He does caveat that by saying it should be sorted out with firmware updates.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    A Jet black Volt with preinstalled cassette of your choice plus some other little bits- seems a very good deal for entry level dd trainer.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Fixed cassette ratios depending on number of speeds, like 11s 11-28. Guess you can always sell
    the cassette if not to your taste.
  • It looks like a crazy good deal.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited September 2022
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • It's 10% cheaper, but that looks a decent deal too.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    pblakeney said:
    Y, they’ve been transparent that it is a Volt with some changes which externally I think include greater bike compatibility plus some internal ones too?
    As it’s £50 less than the Volt and includes the cassette of your choice (although ratios themselves are set to 11-28 /11-30 for 12 speed).
    I still think it’s a darn good deal. Unless deals on other “better” ones appear soon I’m quite likely to plump for one soon to encourage consistent use over winter as I do want to have a better turbo setup than my current in-smart yet extremely well used Kurt Kinetic.
  • pblakeney
    andyrr said:

... I’m quite likely to plump for one soon to encourage consistent use over winter as I do want to have a better turbo setup than my current in-smart yet extremely well used Kurt Kinetic.

Having got a Neo 2T at the start of 2020 (my luckiest and best timed purchase) I can say that you won't regret it.
    Anyone want a well used dusty Kurt Kinetic? For a reasonable donation. 😉 Delivery is probably more than cost for these beasts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    DCR's latest review. Looks to be better value than other makes. It may force prices down?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/10/zwift-hub-smart-trainer-in-depth-review-the-best-bang-for-your-buck.html
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,623
    Looks like a great deal and I would probably buy it if you were able to fold the legs and put it away when not in use.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Went to buy one last night and all sold out for now.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    seanoconn said:

Looks like a great deal and I would probably buy it if you were able to fold the legs and put it away when not in use.

That was the main reason I went for a Suito, really useful feature for me.
  • When there were Saris H3s going new for under £450 recently, they are a no-brainer compared to a rebadged Jetblack Volt that's been around for several years, without being raved about.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • At a bit under £500, available now is Saris H3, Elite Suito-T, Tacx Flux-S.

Do those beat the Zwift one for £450 including a cassette?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,157

Went to buy one last night and all sold out for now.

I registered a pre-order a couple of weeks back, but was notified yesterday when they expected to open orders) that they’re sold out. more expected at end of the month.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    edited October 2022

When there were Saris H3s going new for under £450 recently, they are a no-brainer compared to a rebadged Jetblack Volt that's been around for several years, without being raved about.

The Jetblack Volt got a good review from DC Rainmaker last year https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/07/jetblack-volt-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html , at a price about 75% higher than the Zwift one is on sale now for. It's proper market disruption. The Jetblack is now on Amazon at £449 as well.
  • pblakeney
    Is there not a case to be made that a whole load of trainers were bought during lockdowns so demand is now diminished?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Is there not a case to be made that a whole load of trainers were bought during lockdowns so demand is now diminished?

Doesn't seem to be at this price.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,157
    pblakeney said:

I’ve seen a lot of newish ones for sale, with sellers asking top £ . I’d want a big knock down for an out of warranty bit of electromechanical kit.
    Related, are there reliability issues with any particular models?
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2022

pblakeney said:

That was kinda my point. People who really wanted one have already got one.
    New buyers are being tempted at the new low cost point.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Mad_Malx said:

pblakeney said:

I’ve seen a lot of newish ones for sale, with sellers asking top £ . I’d want a big knock down for an out of warranty bit of electromechanical kit.
    They can ask, doesn't mean they'll get. Any item is only worth what it sells for.
    I should have sold my Rock n Roll 2 years ago. Near as dammit worthless now.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I've got a wheel on trainer that I've been happy with for years, but at this price, I'll buy a direct drive one to replace it.

The price changes demand.
  • pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

pblakeney said:

They can ask, doesn't mean they'll get. Any item is only worth what it sells for.
    I should have sold my Rock n Roll 2 years ago. Near as dammit worthless now.
    Agreed - surely nobody's now paying more than about £250 second hand for any trainer that was selling for up to £1000 a couple of months ago.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863
    Neo 1s are still changing hands for ~£400.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    daniel_b said:

Neo 1s are still changing hands for ~£400.

It's still a very good trainer and will outperform the cheaper direct drives like the Flux, Suito, and in many ways the new Zwift / Jetblack. Though you'd need balls to buy a 7 year old out of warranty bit of electronics.
    Albeit you can get a Neo2SE for £700 from Wiggle, which whilst not majorly upgraded, at least is new with the warranty that goes with that.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    If you can get a cheap H3 I've had one for 2 years with no complaints.

Only slight issue is if you are a sprinter it's supposedly good for measuring up to 2000 watts but mine won't register much over half that - but I've had the same issue with other turbos, and any power meter I've ever used.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376

If you can get a cheap H3 I've had one for 2 years with no complaints.

Only slight issue is if you are a sprinter it's supposedly good for measuring up to 2000 watts but mine won't register much over half that - but I've had the same issue with other turbos, and any power meter I've ever used.

Nothing to do with the power your legs are capable of putting out then? :D
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I've got a wheel on trainer that I've been happy with for years, but at this price, I'll buy a direct drive one to replace it.

The price changes demand.
    Direct drive is a game changer KG.