La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 18: Trujillo - Alto de Piornal 192km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2022 in Pro race
Stage 18: Trujillo - Alto de Piornal 192km

Thursday, September 8, 2022
Start time: 12:10CET.

The final week steadily intensifies with a double ascent of the Alto de Piornal at the end of stage 18.
Piornal is perched high on a mountain that forms the backdrop of a number of circuits in the second half of the race. It's the highest town in all of Extremadura.
The finish climb is 13.5 kilometres long, while the race totals 192 kilometres.

Trujillo is a town boasting many medieval and renaissance buildings.
The route continues to make its way up through the rugged terrain of Extremadura, the first 100 kilometres take place on undulating terrain.
The Alto de la Desperá is the warm-up act, a short category-2 climb that nevertheless stings the legs at an average gradient of nearly 10%. The route uses two different ascents of the Alto de Piornal.

The Climbs.

The Cascada de la Desesperá ascent is 3.7 kilometres long and averages 9.4%.

Piornal on this side, the ascent is 13.5 kilometres while the average gradient sits at 5%.

Remarkably, Piornal on this side, is also 13.5 kilometres with the average gradient being 5%.

Final Kms.

The riders descend towards the River Jerte and after a flat section through the valley the finish climb kicks in, this time, from the other side of the mountain.

Trujillo

Population 8,912

Trujillo is a municipality located in Extremadura, an autonomous community of Spain in the Province of Cáceres. Originally settled on a granite knoll which was readily fortified, the town now extends to the southeast of its original site. Trujillo is both a centre for tourism, with over 25 hotels and a regional market town. The locality of Trujillo is an example of Extremadura’s historic relevance during Roman times. As an important settlement dependent on the region’s greatest city, Emerita Augusta, Trujillo gained even more economic and demographic significance during the Middle Ages, which is precisely when its monumental castle, a symbol of the municipality, was built. Created using original Arab architecture, its construction was finalised in the 13th century and today forms part of the old town contains many medieval and renaissance buildings.

National Cheese Fair
On 1 May, the National Cheese Fair takes place, which is the most important cheese competition in Spain. The Plaza Mayor becomes a huge fair where it is possible to taste cheeses from around Spain. Over 300 types of cheeses are presented there
The festival includes 60 different stalls featuring over 300 different types of cheeses from around the world. The festival draws a large crowd, with organizers reporting that approximately 100,000 people attend on a yearly basis.

You will find both international and local cheese stalls at the festival. Some of the best local cheeses from the Extremadura region include Torta del Casar, Ibores and La Serena. Other delicious Spanish cheeses that are well worth a try include the famous Manchego cheese, the Basque Idiazábal cheese, the blue Cabrales cheese from Asturias and the Tetilla cheese from Galicia.

Alto de Piornal

Located in the impressive Jerte Valley, Piornal has an altitude of around 1200 metres above sea level, making it the highest town in all of Extremadura. There is little else to be found on either the town, or the climb.

Técula mécula is a traditional Spanish tart originating from Extremadura. The filling is made with water, sugar, lemon zest, almonds, butter, egg yolks, and flour. The smooth filling is poured into the crust. This tart is traditionally served at room temperature, and it’s especially good when paired with a dollop of whipped cream and Pedro Ximénez sherry on the side.

Originating from the north of Extremadura, morcilla patatera is a Spanish sausage made with a combination of pork meat, fat, and mashed potatoes. The ingredients are flavored with paprika (usually pimentón de la vera) and seasoned with salt and pepper before being stuffed into a pig intestine casing.
The sausage is usually shaped into a horseshoe. It can be consumed fresh or cooked, and in both cases, morcilla patatera is best when served with bread and a glass of local wine on the side, or, in this case, with a couple of runny eggs..

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Will the local sheep (or goats - Not sure) try to attack the riders as they did on the tob today?
  • Wow!
    There’s a 41…….yes that’s right, a 41 man breakaway that have 7 and a half minutes over the remaining peloton.
    Best placed rider in the breakaway is Richard Carapaz at over 25 minutes.
  • However, earlier there was a bad crash involving a number of riders.
    Unfortunately, Jay Vine has had to abandon as a result.
    Other notables involved were Mads Pedersen and a distinctly worse for wear looking Carlos Rodriguez.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    What do you call it when the breakaway is bigger than the peloton? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney said:

No breakaway points on velogames.
  • Hope Pedersen didn't land there.
  • pblakeney said:

I think something similar happened at the London 2012 Olympic Road Race
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I think something similar happened at the London 2012 Olympic Road Race
    Wasn't that just because the "peloton" was decreed to be wherever Cav was?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Oh dear .... Bit of a shambles .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Who's up for the polka dots now then?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    It's been a very tough race ... All the GTS this year have been
  • Joao Almeida decides being the chasse Patate is more appealing than 6th on GC.

Not sure what UAE are trying here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    edited September 2022

Who's up for the polka dots now then?

Carapaz currently leading and extending his lead, Soler was 10 points behind him at the start and also up the road.
  • mididoctors
    Well we thought that top 10 GC thing would come into play
  • mididoctors
    UAE sneaky
  • Who's up for the polka dots now then?

Carapaz was second as if yesterday so now virtual leader and has taken the first KOM today. 13 clear now of Arensman, then Stannard and Soler each a point further back. Soler the only other one in the break today I think.
  • Astana in panic chase mode doing QS’s job for them cos of that all important 5th place.
  • TGH attacks out of the breakaway.
    He’s only got to solo for 74kms
  • mididoctors
    Control of the race in general has been difficult. Especially with the covid drop outs
  • pblakeney
    Not heard Harper's name in the break.
    I take it my PTP has gone down the drain?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

Good choice though ...strong with no leader support duties
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Hope Pedersen didn't land there.
    That was my first thought too. It looks like the Wanty? rider at the back of the shot did though looking at his face!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    pblakeney said:

I asked the other day when there was a big break, at what point does the break become the peloton and the rest are just dropped riders / autobus?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Good choice though ...strong with no leader support duties
    That was the thought process. Flawed though obviously.
    Fortune favours the brave but you don'y half look stupid when it fails.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • 9 men in the GC group, 20 men in the Almeida group.
    Carlos Rodriguez unsurprisingly dropped.
  • Carapaz now chasing mountain points as well as stage wins.
    Higuita has finally shown up.
  • pblakeney
    UAE chasing down Almeida.
    Are they the new Movistar? 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    Getting a bit chaotic tactics wise