La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 9:- Villaviciosa - Les Praeres. Nava, 171.4km ***Spoilers***

Stage 9:- Villaviciosa - Les Praeres. Nava, 171.4km

Sunday, August 28th.
Start Time 12-40CET.

Again, the route is littered with numerous (four intermediate climbs) climbs, but this time, the sting is most definitely in this stage's tail. The Asturian climb was tarmacked for the race four years ago, though it's still an absolutely brutal finish despite the easier surface.
Rolling roads form the backdrop in the first hour of racing, before the categorised climbing begins.

The route to the final climb is very indirect, by first heading West, along the coast, before swing around 180 degrees, to head East and inland. Even then, the route continues to swing North, then South, then North again, before finally turning South and into the pain locker. The brutal Les Praeres wall first featured in La Vuelta 2018. Simon Yates took the spoils before he went on to win the red jersey that year.

The Climbs:

Final Kms.
An undulating section takes the riders to the foot of Les Praeres. The climb in the Sierra de Peñamayor is only 3.8km long but at an average of 13.8% and with stretches heading up 24% in place it's a very hard finish that will again bring the time gains and losses.

What to Expect:
Climbs such as Les Praeres are more a question of survival rather than attacking. Having said that, GC favourites such as Roglic and Yates, will probably be viewing this finale differently from the likes of Evenepoel and Almeida.

Villaviciosa

Population 14,430
La Vuelta will, once again, feature departures from Pola de Laviana and Villaviciosa (Asturias), both of which were hugely successful in the 2020 edition. Although both locations were unprecedented at the time, in 2022 Villaviciosa already knows what it means to host a mountain stage. Spain’s apple capital will mark the end of the peloton’s journey though the peninsula’s north.
Villaviciosa is a town and municipality in the autonomous community of Asturias, Spain. Villaviciosa is important for the production of cider. The town also produces milk and relies on tourism, with natural landscapes and beaches. In the 19th century, the town was repeatedly attacked. It was occupied several times by French troops during the Peninsular War.

Les Praeres.

Population 5,276 (Nava)
Simon Yates beats his chest following his victory over the savage Les Praeres climb. The image was truly iconic and few photographs sum up La Vuelta 18 better. With his triumph on the Nava summit, the British rider won La Roja and continued to wear it all the way to the final podium in Madrid. Les Praeres thus became a new iconic climb for the race.
Nava is a municipality in the Autonomous Community of the Principality of Asturias, Spain. It is also the name of one of the parishes in this municipality, as well as the name of the municipal capital. The Cider Museum, dedicated to the Asturian national drink, is located in the capital.

The biggest cheese board in the world

50 cheeses that make up the largest regional cheese board in the worldwide cheese universe. The list begins like this: Cabrales, Gamonéu, Afuega'l pitu, Beyos, Casín… and they are spread across the whole of Asturias. They are made with cow, goat and sheep's milk.

Cachopo is a dish characteristic of Asturian cuisine (Spain). It consists of two large veal fillets and includes ham and cheese. The dish is eaten fried and hot after being breaded in eggs and breadcrumbs, and it is usually served garnished with potatoes, peppers, or mushrooms.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    edited August 2022
    Biggest cheeseboard in the world.

BIGGEST CHEESEBOARD IN THE WORLD!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • A big blow for Roglic, as Sepp Kuss fails to take the start.
    More Covid cases as Wout Poels (last seen talking to Chris Froome) and Pieter Serry both test positive.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Oh dear ...what's happening in the race?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pretty active race no break yet
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Breaks gets away on first climb ...riders trying to bridge 2:30 gap
  • mididoctors
    Very hard racing
  • mididoctors
    Samuele Battistella (Astana Qazaqstan), Edoardo Zambanini (Bahrain Victorious), Dylan van Baarle (Ineos Grenadiers), Louis Meintjes (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert), Filippo Conca (Lotto Soudal), Thymen Arensman (Team DSM), Jimmy Janssens, Robert Stannard (Alpecin Deceuninck), José Manuel Diaz Gallego (Burgos-BH) and Simon Guglielmi (Arkea Samsic)
  • Arensman made to go back to the bunch.
    Shot of the day so far: Valverde chasing down Soler!

Another chaotic stage start.
  • mididoctors
    Not sure QS have the ability to bring this back..
  • I am liking that both McEwen and Lloyd are now both engaging in cultural, cuisine and history fun facts.
  • mididoctors
    Send them a invoice
  • mididoctors
    QS. Resigned ambition for the stage I think
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    Is this now their version of the book Paul Sherwen used to read passages from in the Tour?
  • Suddenly we get back-to-back crashes.
    Lutsenko slightly more damaged than the others in the second chute.
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2022
    Fun and games in the break
  • mididoctors
    Lol
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2022
    Jansen not coming through
  • mididoctors
    Technical descent
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo down ...Tao down
  • TGH down but back up.
    Chris Harper still down
  • mididoctors
    Tao not in JERSEY group JA driving hatd
  • mididoctors
    Jersey group split
  • mididoctors
    Louis coming back
  • mididoctors
    Remco putting pressure on roglic dropped
  • mididoctors
    Mas struggling
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    Look at him go! I'm a believer.
  • Meintjes leaves them behind as does Evenepoel to Roglic
  • Mas’s elastic has snapped too
  • mididoctors
    Mas dropped ...remco going away
  • mididoctors
    Roglic sliding back