La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 5:- Irun - Bilbao, 187.2km ***Spoilers***

Stage 5:- Irun - Bilbao, 187.2km

August 24, 2022
Start Time: 12:45

The 187.2 kilometres of racing commence from Irun in Guipuzkoa, which last hosted a Vuelta start in 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic ruled out the original start from Utrecht. It has been three years since the Vuelta last visited Bilbao. The mountain passes on stage 5 are plentiful, with five categorised climbs.

The course runs in a Westerly direction, mostly along the coast in the early stages, before heading inland, so as to head directly to Bilbao. A trio of third-category climbs lay mid-way through the stage, packed between kilometres 76 and 125.

The Climbs:
None of the climbs are particular long or steep, especially by Basque country standards.

Punctuating the day with 47.8km to ride is a double ascent of the second-category Alto del Vivero.
The climb is 4.6 kilometres long and averages almost 8%, while the middle section is especially trying with several double digit sectors. It evens out to 5% in the final 1.5 kilometres.

Final Kms.

After the second pass, the final opportunities to propel an attack will take place on the final 14.2km run-in, virtually all on descent, to the finish in Bilbao.

What to Expect.

Normally, this stage would be a golden opportunity for the break, given that it is too hard for the sprinters, but not hard enough to entice a GC battle. The only problem with this scenario is that the time gaps between riders at this stage of the race, will mostly be small. I guess we will see.

Irun

Population 62,910
Irun is one of the biggest towns in Gipuzkoa, its location on the border between Spain and France, across the Bidasoa river from Hendaye. During the Spanish Civil War, in 1936, the city was site of the Battle of Irun, which ended with a strategic victory for the nationalist forces. It's a regular departure point on the Northern Way to Santiago. One of its main festivals is the Alarde de San Marcial, a parade recreating an episode of the Peninsular War, held every year on 30 June.
There are hot mineral springs in the town.

In the Basque Country you can have an endless range of restaurants with Michelin stars, restaurants serving nouvelle cuisine, grill restaurants and traditional cider houses, or plentiful pintxos places.
Whatever your choice, always look for the Club Euskadi Gastronomika badge.

Bilbao

Population 350,184
Bilbao is a city in northern Spain, the largest city in the province of Biscay and in the Basque Country as a whole. It is also the largest city proper in northern Spain. Bilbao is the tenth largest city in Spain. Bilbao is located in the north-central part of Spain, some 16 kilometres (10 mi) south of the Bay of Biscay.

Traditional Bilbao dishes are centered around products from the sea and the estuary, such as eels and cod. For the most part Bilbao shares its original gastronomy with that of the province of Biscay, including dishes such as bacalao al pil pil (cod fish cooked with olive oil, garlic and guindilla peppers), bacalao a la vizcaína (salted cod with Biscayan sauce, mostly made of choricero peppers and onions), merluza en salsa verde (hake fish with green sauce), chipirones en su tinta (squid served with its own ink), morros a la vizcaína (beef snouts with Biscayan sauce), revuelto de perretxikos (scrambled eggs with mushrooms) and desserts such as canutillos de Bilbao (puff pastries filled with custard or chocolate), Pantxineta (puff pastries filled with custard and almonds), rice cakes and bollos de mantequilla (butter buns).

morros a la vizcaína

revuelto de perretxikos

canutillos de Bilbao

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Excellent preview as always.
  • archieboy
    archieboy Posts: 1,393
    Very good preview BS
    Cheers
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    I remember seeing beef snouts on a platter in that region, when I was much younger and less willing to give stuff a go. Still not sure I would give them a go though.
  • 17 men in the break, including Jake Stewart and Fred Wright. They have a couple of minutes.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Big break ., It's fast going again .well ahead of schedule
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    The 17 riders at the front: Vadim Pronskiy (Astana Qazaqstan), Fred Wright (Bahrain Victorious), Jonathan Caicedo (EF Education-EasyPost), Rudy Molard, Jake Stewart (Groupama-FDJ), Julius Johansen (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux), Alessandro De Marchi y Daryl Impey (Israel Premier Tech), Kamil Malecki (Lotto Soudal), Gregor Mühlberger (Movistar Team), Fausto Masnada (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team), Lawson Craddock (Team BikeExchange-Jayco), Nikias Arndt (Team DSM), Victor Langellotti (Burgos-BH), Roger Adria (Kern Pharma), Ibai Azurmendi (Euskaltel-Euskadi) et Anthony Delaplace (Arkea-Samsic).
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    3 and half minutes on the bunch . Riders in the break at one min on GC .
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo chasing but letting the time slide out. Looking to pass the jersey
  • mididoctors
  • mididoctors
    Break splitting on climb ... Carddock Fred Wright mollard trying to clip off
  • Dawg dropping
  • mididoctors
    Soler trying to clip off ...bunch at 5 mins
  • mididoctors
    J Stewart reaching out ...got 40 secs on the break ,..
  • mididoctors
    Soler dropped
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Wright is having one hell of a season. Deserves a GT stage win, red jersey would be nice too.
  • mididoctors
    Bonus secs on top of climb count in Fred Wright Vs mollard GC tussle
  • mididoctors
    JA dropped ...not race fit
  • mididoctors
    Impey smelling the finish .. Stewart on 11 secs now
  • mididoctors
    Soler back from.the dead !!!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Stewart blows big time as Soler flies past.
  • mididoctors
    Fred Wright dropped over the top by mollard ..
  • mididoctors
    Scrap that mollard and Wright together
  • mididoctors
    Soler got 11secs on 6 man chase
  • Fred Wright is doing all the chasing. Meanwhile, Jake Stewart cramps up.
  • mididoctors
    Stewart out the back ...5 left chasing .. mistake by mollard to work
  • All back together.
    Soler dangling now.
  • mididoctors
    Soler getting reeled in
  • mididoctors
    Stalled 8 sec gate
  • mididoctors
    Going to be close
  • mididoctors
    Under the kite