La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 4:- Vitoria-Gasteiz - Laguardia, 152.5km ***Spoilers***

Stage 4:- Vitoria-Gasteiz - Laguardia, 152.5km

Tuesday, August 23.
Start Time: 13-40CET.

La Vuelta returns to Spanish soil on the fourth day. The 152.5 kilometres long route travels from Vitoria-Gasteiz to an explosive finale in Laguardia, which the Vuelta last visited way back in 1967. Expect the Basque fans to line the route as the race visits three Basque provinces over its three weeks for the first time since 2012.

The start in the capital of the region, Vitoria-Gasteiz, last hosted a Vuelta stage two years ago. It is a regular host of Itzulia Basque Country. The mediaeval city centre sits on a hill with a fortified wall above the Zadorra River and overlooks the high mountain peaks to come.
The peloton faces rolling terrain for the first 50 kilometres, after which the ups and downs across Álava begin.

The Climbs:
The route includes two KOM climbs – Puerto de Opakua (5 kilometres à 6.9%)

Puerto de Herrera (7.3 kilometres at 4.8%)
The Herrera mountain pass comes with just 15km to the finish and should provide a launching pad

Final Kms.

The finale also runs uphill. It’s a punchy finish of 800 metres at almost 10%.

What to Expect.

A reduced peloton. As it's a punchy finish, one would therefore expect the puncheurs to be in the finishing mix, along with the more explosive of the GC men.

Vitoria-Gasteiz

Population 253,996.
Historically known in English as Vittoria, Vitoria-Gasteiz is the seat of government and the capital city of the Basque Country and of the province of Álava in northern Spain. It holds the autonomous community's House of Parliament, the headquarters of the Government, and the "Lehendakari's" (Prime Minister's) official residency.
Vitoria-Gasteiz is a dynamic city. It is consistently ranked as one of the 5 best places to live in Spain, ranking highly in quality of life and business opportunities. It is the first Spanish municipality to be awarded the title of European Green Capital.

Vitoria-Gasteiz's vicinity is home to acclaimed wineries such as Ysios, designed by world-renowned architect Santiago Calatrava, and Marqués de Riscal, by Frank Gehry.

And the inevitable plate of pintxos.

Laguardia

Population 1,454
Over half a century has passed since the last time Laguardia hosted La Vuelta. On that occasion, in the 1967 edition, the Alava municipality was the departure of a stage. In 2022, however, it will be the finish-line. Though much has changed since then, its old city centre remains perfectly intact, featuring Medieval outlines with almost one thousand years of history that are of immense touristic value, making it one of Spain’s most beautiful towns. The place lies over a hill and it is surrounded by a wall that the King Sancho the Strong ordered to build. There are still preserved five different entries to access the city. Their names are: Mercadal, Carnicerías (Butchers), Páganos, San Juan and Santa Engracia.

Regarding the economy, its main strength is the wine industry. Indeed, the wine is elaborated and processed in numerous wineries. Laguardia is the capital of one of the most famous wine regions of Spain, Rioja Alavesa. Additionally, both in Laguardia and its surroundings, a wine known as the Denominación de Origen Calificada Rioja which is useful to distinguish particular vines produces in some specific regions.

Cod fish in Riojan tomato sauce
The only fish that was available in Rioja in the past, when the fridges did not exist, was the salty preserved Cod fish. It was cooked with the local ingredients: tomatoes, onions and peppers and this is the recipe passed from generations to generations until today. It is a lovely way to enjoy this fish.

Lamb chops
Lamb chops in Rioja are grilled over vine shoots (what else!) that are pruned in winter and this give the lamb chops a very special and flavourful taste. This is probably the star meal in Rioja. Every house has a barbecue grill to make them.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Foreign Grand Tour starts that require a 'rest day' after 3 days to allow for logistics should be banned. Just feels totally disconnected from the event, like a pre-season friendly.

Anyway, Remco and Alaphilippe trying to decide who's leader for stage 4:

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533

Foreign Grand Tour starts that require a 'rest day' after 3 days to allow for logistics should be banned. Just feels totally disconnected from the event, like a pre-season friendly.

Anyway, Remco and Alaphilippe trying to decide who's leader for stage 4:

Except if they start in Denmark 🇩🇰😉
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    edited August 2022
    At least in Denmark it felt like something might happen, even if nothing actually did. These first three stages might as well not have existed.

Let the racing commence.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited August 2022
    Despite several searches, I couldn't find anything, so I have been waiting for somebody to come up with a more detailed profile of the finish and finally something has been posted elsewhere.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have ridden round there and the land to the south of Lagurdia drops down to the river. I remember some pretty steep bits of road in places as you climb back to A124.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Hurray.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    James Shaw (EF Education-EasyPost), Ander Okamika (Burgos-BH), Jarrad Drizners (Lotto Soudal) and Joan Bou (Euskaltel-Euskadi) join Alexey Lutsenko (Astana Qazaqstan) and Alessandro De Marchi (Israel Premier Tech)

Decent break
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Interesting that Alexey Lutsenko is in the break, as he's only 46 seconds off the lead and an obvious danger man.
    Currently, the breakaway has 2'-25" over the bunch.

Another interesting fact, one of two riders in this edition to have previously won a Vuelta stage on August 23rd is.............................Alexey Lutsenko, 5 years ago.
  • mididoctors
    Coverage is giving me coming recession vibes
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • This chase is putting a number of riders out the rear already.
  • mididoctors
    Fast stage .
  • mididoctors
    Basque country not as green as it usually is
  • mididoctors
    Bennet dropped
  • The final hour comedy commentary has begun.
    A pity, as it had been quite interesting listening to the three ex pros.
  • mididoctors
    Super hard into the climb
  • mididoctors
    Break all absorbed
  • mididoctors
    Lot of riders letting the wheels go ...hard day
  • mididoctors
    Yates looks good
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo pretty mega
  • mididoctors
    Reduced peloton
  • mididoctors
    Hayter Valverde up front
  • mididoctors
    Remco moves up going to be royal sprit
  • mididoctors
    Argy bargy
  • mididoctors
    Roglic kills them all ... Valverde had a stab at it
  • Roglafication
  • mididoctors
    JA not in the mix so much
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Roglic does what Roglic does. Pedersen manages to finish second to someone else.
  • mididoctors
    Tough day
  • Pross
    Decent by Sivakov, didn't expect him to be the first Ineos rider to cross the line.
  • Pross
    Oomen sounding down in the dumps!