La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 2:- 's-Hertogenbosch - Utrecht 175.1km ***Spoilers***

Stage 2:- 's-Hertogenbosch - Utrecht 175.1km

Saturday 20 August.
Start Time: 13-15CET.

The second Vuelta a España stage gets underway in 's-Hertogenbosch - the hometown of Marianne Vos. The 175.1km stage from 's-Hertogenbosch to Utrecht includes the first classified climb of the Vuelta, the Alto de Amerongse or more commonly named, Amerongse Berg. The climb is the highest point in the province at just 69.2 metres above sea level.

It has been a while, but the town of 's-Hertogenbosch, in the southern part of the Netherlands hosted the Grand Depart of the Tour the France in 1996. The 1st stage was a prologue and the 2nd stage an out-and-back race before the 3rd stage set off from ‘s Hertogenbosch to head further south with Alex Zülle, winner of the prologue, in the yellow jersey.

The Climb:
The Amerongse Berg is 2.1km long but only the lower portion is steep, so the average grade is only 2.4%.

Final Kms.

What to Expect:
Aside from a few smaller climbs, the course lives up to the flatland reputation and unless there are crosswinds to split up the peloton, this stage should suit the pure sprinters perfectly.

Note: The powers that be, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that both of the flat and featureless Dutch road stages are worthy of full live coverage, unlike most of the stages that take place in Spain.

's-Hertogenbosch

Population. 155,490.
's-Hertogenbosch, colloquially known as Den Bosch, is the capital of the province of North Brabant.
's-Hertogenbosch was founded as a fortified city and that heritage can still be seen today. After World War II, plans were made to modernise the old city, by filling in the canals, removing or modifying some ramparts and redeveloping historic neighbourhoods. Before these plans could come to effect, however, the central government declared the city a protected townscape. Most historic elements have been preserved.

's-Hertogenbosch is home to a variety of events such as the theatre festival Boulevard, Jazz in Duketown, and hip hop in duketown, the start of the Tour de France (1996), Tour Feminin (1997), the International Vocal Competition, November Music (a contemporary music festival) and the UNICEF Open (formerly the Ordina Open) grass court tennis tournament (in the nearby town of Rosmalen). There are also over 350 restaurants, pubs and cafés to be found in the city.
The city has its own food speciality, the Bossche Bol—effectively a giant profiterole, somewhat larger than a tennis ball, which is filled with whipped cream and coated with chocolate.

Brabant is the only Dutch culinary region which developed an haute cuisine, as it is influenced by both German cuisine and French cuisine, and it forms the base of most traditional Dutch restaurants including typical main courses such as Biefstuk, Varkenshaas, or Ossenhaas, which are premium cuts of meat, generally pork or beef, accompanied by various sauces and potatoes which have been double fried in the traditional Dutch (or Belgian) manner.

Varkenshaas

Ossenhaas

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Well the climb will test who is paying attention and realises they are on it!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Smalls roads . Maybe a tougher task to control.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2022
    Kern pharma is a team I must confess I know nothing about
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    5 riders 4 mins .... Crosshead wind
  • mididoctors
    Peloton string out
  • Peloton string out

I bet they are not as strung out as our Carlton. ;)
  • mididoctors

Peloton string out

I bet they are not as strung out as our Carlton. ;)
    It's a long way to Madrid.
  • mididoctors
    Alpecin bring it back together 100 k to go ?
  • Weird tactics for sure
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Just put this on and the first words I heard were ‘time to welcome Carlton Kirby back from his break’ FFS!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    I’ll try to nudge him into the Avon while he’s out the studio tomorrow lunchtime
  • Pross said:

Just put this on and the first words I heard were ‘time to welcome Carlton Kirby back from his break’ FFS!

Me too.
    My solution was to switch off.
    Besides, Dutch races are the pits.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Me too.
    My solution was to switch off.
    Besides, Dutch races are the pits.
    I’ve still got it on but not paying attention. It’s like the world’s longest monologue, you have to admire his stamina - the amount of time he can talk continuously without apparently breathing is incredible.
  • Wout Poels and half of Lotto hit the deck.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    Why do they insist on using runways?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754

Wout Poels and half of Lotto hit the deck.

Cras looked in a bad way
  • Carlton "Rainman" Kirby again.
    Where are all the umbrellas if it's raining?
    Oh look, sunshine, shorts and tee shirts.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Tailwind at the finish
  • rick_chasey
    Belgians getting cheesed off by the crowds.

• mididoctors
    Jumbo sitting back
  • rick_chasey
    Merlier has been best placed sprinter for last 5km (posting at 2km to go)
  • mididoctors
    Ineos look keen
  • rick_chasey
    Bennet wins!
  • rick_chasey
    Crash after the finish
  • mididoctors
    Bennet muscled it
  • mididoctors
    Oh dear alpecin
  • Pross
    Few gaps over the line, not sure if they were caused by the crash or not though.
  • mididoctors
    Parcours was scary . Surprised it wasn't worse
  • Pross

Carlton "Rainman" Kirby again.
    Where are all the umbrellas if it's raining?
    Oh look, sunshine, shorts and tee shirts.

He was insistent there was a storm coming that was going to cause carnage and then when McEwen said the forecast showed zero chance of rain kept going on about bugs on the lens then when the was nothing visible to any normal humans.

• If the early timings are correct, there has been quite a bit of movement in the GC.
    Mike Teunissen is the new Maillot Rojo with Gesink tumbling down the rankings.
    Ben O’Connor lost time, as did TGH, Jungels plus a number of others.
    Biggest loser was Lutsenko who dropped over a minute.