Nario TDF

Two blood samples from Nairo tested positive for tramadol. Dq’d from tour but no ban

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Literally hours after they announced he resigned for another 3 years. Wah wah waaah.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    is it not a painkiller?
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954

Literally hours after they announced he resigned for another 3 years. Wah wah waaah.

Resigned, or re-signed?
    The English language is weird! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

is it not a painkiller?

Yes and banned in competition by UCI
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Painkillers banned - that's interesting. Yet I'm sure a few England bowlers have taken them this summer to get through a Test......and it's perfectly fine.

So, it's banned by the UCI, but not WADA.....I'm even more confused.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    The banning of Tramadol was pretty high profile tbf.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    andyrac said:

Painkillers banned - that's interesting. Yet I'm sure a few England bowlers have taken them this summer to get through a Test......and it's perfectly fine.

risk of riders dozing off while in the bunch. Or going over a cliff edge.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Full uci statement

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that the Colombian rider Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas has been sanctioned for an infringement of the in-competition ban on using tramadol as set out in the UCI Medical Rules with the aim of protecting the safety and health of riders in light of the side-effects of this substance.
    The analyses of two dried blood samples provided by the rider on 8 and 13 July during the 2022 Tour de France revealed the presence of tramadol and its two main metabolites.
    In accordance with the UCI Medical Rules, the rider is disqualified from the 2022 Tour de France. This decision may be appealed before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) within the next 10 days.
    During the 2022 Tour de France, a total of 120 dried blood samples were collected as part of the tramadol programme.
    Infringements of the in-competition ban on using tramadol are offences under the UCI Medical Rules. They do not constitute Anti-doping Rule Violations. As this is a first offence, Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas is not declared ineligible and can therefore participate in competitions.
    The UCI will not comment further on the matter.
    About the ban on tramadol
    Since 1st March 2019, the UCI has banned the use of tramadol in competition across all disciplines and categories in order to protect the riders’ health and safety in light of the side-effects of this substance.
    Samples are collected by the International Testing Agency (ITA) using the Dried Blood Spots (DBS) reference method. Developed by the Swiss company DBS Systems, sampling kits are used to conduct this minimally invasive test, which involves collecting a small amount of blood from the rider's fingertip.
    The analysis of the samples is conducted independently at the Laboratory of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Geneva University, using a peer review method to determine the presence or absence and amount of tramadol and its two main metabolites. The results are then submitted to the University of Lausanne’s Centre of Research and Expertise in Anti-Doping Sciences (REDs) for a final independent review.
    The results are finally submitted to the UCI Medical Director, who conducts the results management in accordance with the UCI Medical Rules.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    andyrac said:

Yes lots of cricketers, tennis players etc take it a lot. But as above the risks are different for in competition use in the different sports.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Pray for Matt Rendell.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Was he involved in a crash prior to taking it? Don't know if painkillers numb you sufficiently to be able to go over your FTP for an extended period of time and would thus be performance enhancing or if he simply needed pain meds against the pain for an injury.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m. said:

Was he involved in a crash prior to taking it? Don't know if painkillers numb you sufficiently to be able to go over your FTP for an extended period of time and would thus be performance enhancing or if he simply needed pain meds against the pain for an injury.

I believe he did crash during the Tour although I can't recall any coverage or photos.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Even on tramadol his expression didn't change.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    andyrac said:

I think that literally is it. Simple as..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    RichN95. said:

Even on tramadol his expression didn't change.

That might not be unconnected tbh
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Tramadol is a painkiller and depressant ...odd choice for doping. I think you can get co codomol off the tour doctor
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Tramadol is prohibited as a health/safety issue, not as a ped. Essentially he got DQed for an offence akin to taking his hands off the bars / swerving from line etc. It's just that instead of race video it's controlled by blood test
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

A depressant is not a good choice of ped

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Tramadol is prohibited as a health/safety issue, not as a ped. Essentially he got DQed for an offence akin to taking his hands off the bars / swerving from line etc. It's just that instead of race video it's controlled by blood test

Don't operate heavy machinery on box
  • Mad_Malx
    edited August 2022
    ddraver said:

andyrac said:

I think that literally is it. Simple as..
    Banned by UCI, not on any WADA list.

Correction - it is on WADA monitoring list - they are trying to see how widespread use is.
  • Mad_Malx

Yes. Although there is at least one sport science report of increased performance on the turbo. CBA to read how robust the study is.
  • Mad_Malx
    m.r.m. said:

stage 2, off the road into a rocky ditch
  • The clinic having a normal one as you may expect.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Tramadol is a painkiller and depressant ...odd choice for doping. I think you can get co codomol off the tour doctor

Yes, but wasn't it banned because there were at least rumours of several teams widely using it?

• rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

Yes, but wasn't it banned because there were at least rumours of several teams widely using it?

Not rumours, riders were open about it and asked it to be banned.
  • mrb123 said:

Yes and talk of "finish bottles" with tramadol and caffeine
  • No_Ta_Doctor

mrb123 said:

Yes and talk of "finish bottles" with tramadol and caffeine
    That and tramadol being used to aid sleep*, a potential opiate addiction route

*if I remember correctly, which is definitely not guaranteed
  • Mad_Malx
    Losing the wt points is going put Arkea near the relegation zone, isn’t it?
  • Tramadol is an medium strength opoid painkiller, which is well known to commonly cause central nervous system side effects, including hallucinations.
    If you had pain severe enough to actually need tramadol, you would be unlikely to be fit to ride in a pro bike race!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    In short, Bunch sprinting while high as a kite was considered sub-optimal...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver