Bigham having a crack at the world hour record Friday 19th

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    55.38kmh average at 48 minutes. Well up on the record, now it starts.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    He's flying now
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    27 seconds up. Think he said 2 minutes left
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    clinical
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Demolishing it, he's absolutely judged it perfectly, he's just started to wobble a bit with about a minute left
  • roscoe
    Perfect pacing
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    done it!
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    Beat Rominger as well
  • roscoe
    55.548km, wow!

• Amazing effort. And then got on the scales for more precious data.

2.3kg lost over the hour fyi.
  • Forgot about this and caught the last two laps, probably just as well, not exactly spectator friendly... But heck of an achievement! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Great achievement.
    Do we think they were using this as a test-event for a crack by Ganna, or are the position / aero calcs etc. totally different by individual?
  • ugo.santalucia

Great achievement.
    Do we think they were using this as a test-event for a crack by Ganna, or are the position / aero calcs etc. totally different by individual?

Don't think Ganna will have a go this year... he doesn't seem in his best form and will most likely focus on regaining it for the Worlds TT. It's difficult to fit in these things as a busy PRO, if you don't want to make a fool of yourself.
  • I assume part of his transfer to Ineos was around him getting a proper crack at this while they build up to Ganna achieving world domination when he goes for it #project56andbeyond
  • ugo.santalucia
    Maybe Ganna never will... how many times we talked about Cancellara and Martin having a go, but they never did...
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,938

Amazing effort. And then got on the scales for more precious data.

Hmmmm. Now there's an idea to help shift the last few KG's I need. Just do the Hour record a couple of times a week.....
  • ugo.santalucia
    JimD666 said:

Amazing effort. And then got on the scales for more precious data.

Hmmmm. Now there's an idea to help shift the last few KG's I need. Just do the Hour record a couple of times a week.....
    yeah, annoyingly mostly water. He probably used a mere 1300 KCal, which in fat terms, is only 150 grams
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Wow, amazing.

Ugo, he might also have had up to possibly 700g of glycogen too which would be depleted. But definitely mostly water.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Don't get too carried away, F1 drivers can lose 2-4 kg a race.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333

Don't get too carried away, F1 drivers can lose 2-4 kg a race.

If you did the hour in an F1 driver suit... 😱
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Anyone know what the track/weather etc was like?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ugo.santalucia

Wow, amazing.

Ugo, he might also have had up to possibly 700g of glycogen too which would be depleted. But definitely mostly water.

Indeed, but that one replenishes... so it's fake loss
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,376
    So I presume (because of the entry) that Bigham's record stands so someone must have paid for his blood passport?

Doesn't the blood passport require an amount of history for it to have any validity?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    pinno said:

So I presume (because of the entry) that Bigham's record stands so someone must have paid for his blood passport?

Doesn't the blood passport require an amount of history for it to have any validity?

I expect Ineos paid for it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,376
    RichN95. said:

pinno said:

It's all a bit odd. His capacity at Ineos is an engineer, not cyclist and he rides for Ribble.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    pinno said:

RichN95. said:

pinno said:

It's all a bit odd. His capacity at Ineos is an engineer, not cyclist and he rides for Ribble.
    Ineos are presumably making use of the data that came out of testing and the investment probably came from the loose change Radcliffe found down the back of the sofa. It feels like the sort of thing he’s more than happy to throw a few quid at.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,149
    Pross said:

pinno said:

RichN95. said:

pinno said:

Ineos are presumably making use of the data that came out of testing and the investment probably came from the loose change Radcliffe found down the back of the sofa. It feels like the sort of thing he’s more than happy to throw a few quid at.
    When he joined this was all part of the deal. Ineos poached the aero guru from one of their rivals, Bigham got full support for the hour record in return. Win win really.

He isn't riding for Ribble any more, he entered the British nationals as a privateer (and had to to a bike change onto his fiancés when he had a puncture!)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Little anecdote... it was nice to see Johnny Wale being part of the team... (Can't believe he is 31 now, I remember him as a 16 yo lad) he has had quite a career on the track, being British Champion in the Kilo and in the team pursuit in 2020.
    When we were riding for Amersham RCC, he came from a rowing background, but was too small to race with the big boys and too big for the lightweights... in no man's land. He started racing as cat.4 at Hillingdon and I told me he was wasting his time in the lower leagues. I advised him to try the track, as that's the route to take for success in the UK... I am glad he did so and had considerable success...

Can I take some credit?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    It's happening then - Ganna having a go next month.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,938
    Not as convinced that he'll do it as I would of been this time last year.