Campagnolo splined Shimano/SRAM spaced cassette

MattFalle
MattFalle Posts: 11,644
Morning sll

Has anyone seen any of these - waning to run 10 speed Campag cassette on Campag wheel with 10 speed Red.

Lots of cassettes going the other way seen but none like this

Alternatively, any other ideas? Changing cassette spacers?

Not willing to go ShiftMate as I found it not good enough when doing Bambino's bike.


Thankyou!
.
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,523
    I don't understand the question. 🤔
    Put the Campagnolo cassette on the Campagnolo wheel then put the wheel on the bike.
    They are all designed around a standard 10 speed chain so the spacings are close enough. You may have to reset the derailleur stops and cable tension. I may be wrong.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2022
    So no need to run a ShiftMate/different spaced cassette to run a Campag cassette and SRAM shifters?

    Just mech twiddling?

    If so, its mega - grazie!

    Edit - agree 100% that 11 speed works out ofthe box across the board but was under the understsnding that 10 speed's variable spacing meant it wouldn't work
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,998
    You need an Sram rear mech and a Miche cassette that's sram spaced but campag splined. Or stick with campag mech and cassette and get a shift mate.

    You could paint it the same colour as the road and no one would notice.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Agree completely with para 1 but can't find any cassettes like that - have you seen any?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,523
    MattFalle said:

    So no need to run a ShiftMate/different spaced cassette to run a Campag cassette and SRAM shifters?

    Just mech twiddling?

    If so, its mega - grazie!

    Edit - agree 100% that 11 speed works out ofthe box across the board but was under the understsnding that 10 speed's variable spacing meant it wouldn't work

    I've only used Campagnolo where 10 speed, 11 speed and Shimano are all interchangeable. That'll teach you for not getting a proper groupset. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,998
    MattFalle said:

    Agree completely with para 1 but can't find any cassettes like that - have you seen any?

    I've got a shinano splined campag spaced cassette from Miche so I assumed they did the other way around. I could be wrong....
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    MattFalle said:

    Agree completely with para 1 but can't find any cassettes like that - have you seen any?

    I've got a shinano splined campag spaced cassette from Miche so I assumed they did the other way around. I could be wrong....
    I would have thought so too but seem not for somd bizarre reason.....

    i csn see a gap in the market!
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pblakeney said:

    MattFalle said:

    So no need to run a ShiftMate/different spaced cassette to run a Campag cassette and SRAM shifters?

    Just mech twiddling?

    If so, its mega - grazie!

    Edit - agree 100% that 11 speed works out ofthe box across the board but was under the understsnding that 10 speed's variable spacing meant it wouldn't work

    I've only used Campagnolo where 10 speed, 11 speed and Shimano are all interchangeable. That'll teach you for not getting a proper groupset. 😉
    😀

    its because i have Red on N1 but Record 10 on the CAAD but want to use the CAAD's Zipps on N1 as Ipug N1s wheels on the Prince which us 11 speed.......


    Hmm - this requires more pondering methinks and I think I may have a plan.....
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,998
    Has come up before. Am curious because I am tempted by some Chram shifters for a currently campy 10sp bike... The answer is basically shiftmate, but I don't know where 12sp spacing fits into all of this...

    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12878042/10-speed-cassette-with-campagnolo-spline-and-shimano-spacing
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,998
    https://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio/spacers

    They still exist, but it's financial suicide.

    Wonder if you could Srampagnolo a Campag cassette by buying the right spacers though. You would have to be unreasonably interested in this stuff to try.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    MattFalle said:

    pblakeney said:

    MattFalle said:

    So no need to run a ShiftMate/different spaced cassette to run a Campag cassette and SRAM shifters?

    Just mech twiddling?

    If so, its mega - grazie!

    Edit - agree 100% that 11 speed works out ofthe box across the board but was under the understsnding that 10 speed's variable spacing meant it wouldn't work

    I've only used Campagnolo where 10 speed, 11 speed and Shimano are all interchangeable. That'll teach you for not getting a proper groupset. 😉
    😀

    its because i have Red on N1 but Record 10 on the CAAD but want to use the CAAD's Zipps on N1 as Ipug N1s wheels on the Prince which us 11 speed.......


    Hmm - this requires more pondering methinks and I think I may have a plan.....
    can't you swap the freehub on the wheel to shimano/sram?

    https://www.sram.com/en/service/articles/freehub-timeline
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,194
    Bear on mind that Campag 10 speed is pretty old and the Ambrosio conversion cassettes were pretty niche 10 years ago when that thread was rolling. The Campag to Shimano existed but were even more niche than the Shimano to Campag - Spa cycles still have on their website but out of stock.

    So if I had your problem I would buy a Zipp Shimano freehub and Shimano cassette. Suspect it will end up cheaper than the Ambrosio even if you could find one (Spa cycles list at £60).

    Edco multifit is another option but they are even more mental price.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    sungod said:

    MattFalle said:

    pblakeney said:

    MattFalle said:

    So no need to run a ShiftMate/different spaced cassette to run a Campag cassette and SRAM shifters?

    Just mech twiddling?

    If so, its mega - grazie!

    Edit - agree 100% that 11 speed works out ofthe box across the board but was under the understsnding that 10 speed's variable spacing meant it wouldn't work

    I've only used Campagnolo where 10 speed, 11 speed and Shimano are all interchangeable. That'll teach you for not getting a proper groupset. 😉
    😀

    its because i have Red on N1 but Record 10 on the CAAD but want to use the CAAD's Zipps on N1 as Ipug N1s wheels on the Prince which us 11 speed.......


    Hmm - this requires more pondering methinks and I think I may have a plan.....
    can't you swap the freehub on the wheel to shimano/sram?

    https://www.sram.com/en/service/articles/freehub-timeline
    sungod said:

    MattFalle said:

    pblakeney said:

    MattFalle said:

    So no need to run a ShiftMate/different spaced cassette to run a Campag cassette and SRAM shifters?

    Just mech twiddling?

    If so, its mega - grazie!

    Edit - agree 100% that 11 speed works out ofthe box across the board but was under the understsnding that 10 speed's variable spacing meant it wouldn't work

    I've only used Campagnolo where 10 speed, 11 speed and Shimano are all interchangeable. That'll teach you for not getting a proper groupset. 😉
    😀

    its because i have Red on N1 but Record 10 on the CAAD but want to use the CAAD's Zipps on N1 as Ipug N1s wheels on the Prince which us 11 speed.......


    Hmm - this requires more pondering methinks and I think I may have a plan.....
    can't you swap the freehub on the wheel to shimano/sram?

    https://www.sram.com/en/service/articles/freehub-timeline
    this i an option but at £90 for a Zipp jobbie I was hopingvto save a few pounds.

    may well end up doing if my Master Plan doesn't work.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    Bear on mind that Campag 10 speed is pretty old and the Ambrosio conversion cassettes were pretty niche 10 years ago when that thread was rolling. The Campag to Shimano existed but were even more niche than the Shimano to Campag - Spa cycles still have on their website but out of stock.

    So if I had your problem I would buy a Zipp Shimano freehub and Shimano cassette. Suspect it will end up cheaper than the Ambrosio even if you could find one (Spa cycles list at £60).

    Edco multifit is another option but they are even more mental price.

    Suspect that you're totally correct - grazie!
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    https://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio/spacers

    They still exist, but it's financial suicide.

    Wonder if you could Srampagnolo a Campag cassette by buying the right spacers though. You would have to be unreasonably interested in this stuff to try.

    tbh, that's great minds thinking alike.

    first stop is going to be replacing Campag spacers with Shimano ones and see what happens - loads of them kicking around so may as well give it a bash and see what happens.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Are the first three sprockets co-mounted onto a carrier? If so, you'll not easily change those spaces. You could maybe swap out with individual Miche sprockets and appropriate spacers.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    me-109 said:

    Are the first three sprockets co-mounted onto a carrier? If so, you'll not easily change those spaces. You could maybe swap out with individual Miche sprockets and appropriate spacers.

    Not sure off hand but yup, if so, may cause some head scratching.

    in perfect world they will be bolted together like some Shimano ones but lets see.

    .Top idea re individual Miche sprockets though - completely forgot about them! Grazie!
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited July 2022
    Don't have time to read all the replies, but you'll find a Campagnolo 10sp cassette works just fine with Shimano and SRAM groupset. And vice-versa.

    I know this from experience, btw.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

    Don't have time to read all the replies, but you'll find a Campagnolo 10sp cassette works just fine with Shimano and SRAM groupset. And vice-versa.

    I know this from experience, btw.

    mega sauce! slipping it in now and will confirm findings asap!
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Verdict?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

    Verdict?

    Bit mixed tbh - shifted perfectly throughout the middle of the cassette but even though both cassettes are basically the same (going from 11-23 to 11-28) it wouldn't drop down onto the 11 on the Campy cassette or above 23, but that was purely down to B screw adj.

    It was all a really quick fumble in the shed though, nothing in depth.

    Am going to disconnect cable, set up limit screws, B screws, etc tomorrow and have aproper play.

    Tbh though, I think you're totally onto a winner here, so thankyou again - much appreciated.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,523
    May I refer m'lud to the first reply? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    yeah but no but yeah but no.

    oh alright 😀😀😀😀
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    We have success!

    Lower limit screw 2 turns, B screw 4 turns.

    Done, dusted. Perfect shifting on small and big ring.

    We have now put ShiftMate etc out of business.

    Many thanks to all.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.