Rate the Race: Tour de France 2022

13»

Comments

• Lulu93
    Lulu93 Posts: 16
    I said 8, though I was tempted to go higher. I absolutely loved this Tour, but if I'm going to be picky I'd have wanted Pogi to take some time back in the Pyrenees to ramp up the tension for the final few stages. I'd also have wanted Soler to miraculously make the cut off and to have Cav there to take the win on the final day (that would have been a 10). Pogi snatching yellow back on the TT would have been my absolute dream, but Vingegaard was a very worthy winner. I'm buzzing for next year already, I don't know how I'm going to make it through 11 whole months!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    We really need another rider to challenge. Realistically Roglic (if he moves) and Bernal may be able get in the mix - I wouldn't put money on it but they are possibles at least - the danger is other riders think they've no chance and target the Giro instead though I suppose that could make for a good Giro.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

We really need another rider to challenge. Realistically Roglic (if he moves) and Bernal may be able get in the mix - I wouldn't put money on it but they are possibles at least - the danger is other riders think they've no chance and target the Giro instead though I suppose that could make for a good Giro.

I don't know how much choice those riders will have over the matter. Teams generally pay their top rider to do the Tour not the Giro
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    An immediate -10 for me because of the utter disregard for 34 stage winning Cav, disgrace. It manged to claw it's way back to a good solid 1 though.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    RichN95. said:

I don't know how much choice those riders will have over the matter. Teams generally pay their top rider to do the Tour not the Giro

Yeah I suppose that's true. As a fan I probably rate them closer than the teams do when they make their commercial decisions.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861

An immediate -10 for me because of the utter disregard for 34 stage winning Cav, disgrace. It manged to claw it's way back to a good solid 1 though.

LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Really not sure what else people would want. It was brilliant.
  • Lulu93
    Lulu93 Posts: 16

I mean, if we're dreaming, I'd have bloody loved seeing Van Aert, Pogi and Vingegaard making a solo break for Paris on the final day...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Bit more competition for the green? Although it would have taken something very special to be competitive with WVA...

As above Pog taking back a few more seconds in the Pyrenees would have been good.

Cav taking the record would have been nice!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Shouldn't MvdP be able to give serious competition for the green jersey? Is the green jersey actually important? MvdP doesn't really seem to care about it much. This year he went to the Giro, but I doubt he'll be seriously going for green next year.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Brilliant first week without the usual repetitive sprint-fest but i Knew it was all over after Pogacar threw it away by bonking on stage 11. I knew that the gap was now too big and Vingegaard would just mark Pogacar for the rest of the Tour.

WvA's performance on the Hautocam and JVs ITT were unbelievable - literally. JVs claim that it was altitude training and improved aerodynamics is laughable. I wonder why no other team has thought of that?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    m.r.m. said:

Shouldn't MvdP be able to give serious competition for the green jersey? Is the green jersey actually important? MvdP doesn't really seem to care about it much. This year he went to the Giro, but I doubt he'll be seriously going for green next year.

I don't think he likes bunch sprints
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261

Why not 10?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It wasn't 1989 was it?

But it was still exciting