Rate the Race: Tour de France 2022

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Pross said:

Phreak probably needs to show his workings for the outlier score of 3. I can suspect why he has done it based on some comments in the spoiler threads but it would be useful to have it confirmed.

It was entertaining in the same way WWF can be entertaining or watching old Pantani videos. I just didn't find it believable. I appreciate that I am the outlier in this so didn't plan on labouring the point, but as you asked :)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    edited July 2022
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Sprint stages were poor. WVA having some challenges to his dominance would have been even better.

He didn't win any flat sprint stages in a sprint.
    soz wut?

He needed a JA or in form MvdP to break away with him and provide some further tension.
    Which flat sprint stages did wva win in a bunch sprint?

The "sprint" stages he either didn't win, or won with an 11km attack. I don't think that is dominating the sprint stages.

He monstered the green jersey competition, obviously.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868

The race was decided a great deal by strategy and tactics ....decisions mattered . I found that fascinating

It's a shame the other jerseys were not competitive.

I quite like the sub plots on the non-GC days.
    I doubt Geschke feels the pois weren't competitive. There were 4 or 5 riders that could take it on the last mountain stage, and there was plenty going on between him and Ciccone
    Sure. Green howeva

Not even close to a contest
    WvA is unbeatable in that form I preferred the spectacle of his performance...which was AMAZING.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Struggle to think what more you'd actually want.

So sort of to and fro between the principles. They swap between good days and bad days and exchange blows. The gold standard here is the 1989 Tour where the Yellow Jersey changed hands between LeMond and Fignon four times.
    How much of it did we see?
    What score does 89 get ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Pross said:

Phreak probably needs to show his workings for the outlier score of 3. I can suspect why he has done it based on some comments in the spoiler threads but it would be useful to have it confirmed.

It was entertaining in the same way WWF can be entertaining or watching old Pantani videos. I just didn't find it believable. I appreciate that I am the outlier in this so didn't plan on labouring the point, but as you asked :)
    Genuine question . How are they cheating do you think?

(I appreciate the astonishing recovery of WvA is jaw dropping to say the least .)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

phreak said:

Pross said:

(I appreciate the astonishing recovery of WvA is jaw dropping to say the least .)
    Oh I've no idea. More a feeling I guess, as the last few years have seen performances across the board the likes of which I can't recall seeing for a really long time.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    RichN95. said:

So sort of to and fro between the principles. They swap between good days and bad days and exchange blows. The gold standard here is the 1989 Tour where the Yellow Jersey changed hands between LeMond and Fignon four times.
    While the Jersey didn't go to and fro we'd the compensation of 3 riders winning a stage in Yellow and at no point did they stop swinging digs at each other.

It was Hagler v Hearns on bikes. (With Duran jumping in if Hearns looked in diffs)

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Sprint stages were poor. WVA having some challenges to his dominance would have been even better.

soz wut?

He needed a JA or in form MvdP to break away with him and provide some further tension.

The "sprint" stages he either didn't win, or won with an 11km attack. I don't think that is dominating the sprint stages.

He didnt win any flat sprints.

soz....wut?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

phreak said:

Pross said:

Oh I've no idea. More a feeling I guess, as the last few years have seen performances across the board the likes of which I can't recall seeing for a really long time.
    I have seen nothing like WvA repeated efforts ever
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    phreak said:

phreak said:

Pross said:

People were saying the same when Sky were dominating the Tour.

I can certainly understand a healthy scepticism of the JV performance in general and WVA in particular (all season) but until anyone comes up with anything more than them just being very dominant I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Watching with full on cynicism just drags you down in the end which is why I stopped watching in the early 2000s.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    So looking forward to the Netflix documentary.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Good! Point!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

phreak said:

phreak said:

Pross said:

I have seen nothing like WvA repeated efforts ever
    It’s nuts. Absolutely nuts. Not ever seen someone who goes up the road so often and is still one of the strongest there.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

And Wout van Aert’s crossover appearance in Stranger Things

Twitter: @RichN95
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    A solid 9 for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Only downside was the covid withdrawals. No one's fault, but more teams with full rosters could have added a few more variables into the overall mix.
    Really enjoyed Eurosport's coverage. They have really upped their game since the GCN involvement. Robbie Mcewan, in particular, is a superb pundit and commentator.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    I think this Tour was actually a good argument for reducing team size from 8 to 7, though I suspect the sprint teams would disagree
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    edited July 2022
    Can't cast a vote, because I missed seeing everything from stage 10 to stage 20 because I was riding in the French alps myself. On the plus side I did manage being "just" 4 min slower up Pra Loup than Thibaut Pinot's & Kruijswijk's fastest times and "only" 11 min slower than Bardet up Col de la Bonnette (sorry - humblebrag). Quite happy with that with not being adjusted to altitude and the temps being 38 degrees.

Rather unhappy with having missed all the good stages of what was probably a very good Tour if not quite the very very top level.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.

I think this Tour was actually a good argument for reducing team size from 8 to 7, though I suspect the sprint teams would disagree

I'd really enjoy teams only having 5 riders for all races on the calendar.
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

Can't cast a vote, because I missed seeing everything from stage 10 to stage 20 because I was riding in the French alps myself. On the plus side I did manage being "just" 4 min slower up Pra Loup than Thibaut Pinot's & Kruiswijk's fastest times and "only" 11 min slower than Bardet up Col de la Bonnette (sorry - humblebrag). Quite happy with that with not being adjusted to altitude and the temps being 38 degrees.

Rather unhappy with having missed all the good stages of what was probably a very good Tour if not quite the very very top level.

Bl00dy hell well done
  • m.r.m.
    Thanks @mididoctors that is very kind.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

ddraver said:

soz wut?

He didnt win any flat sprints.

soz....wut?
    Which did he win?
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

Thanks @mididoctors that is very kind.

I was lead out back in the day. I never could climb
  • m.r.m.
    edited July 2022
    Climbing is mostly just riding your bike. It's just done by lighter humans. People sometimes try to make it out as being more than it is. 😉

You make it sound like you're finished. Cav's finished. He could use a lead out in his new team. I see an opportunity... 😂🙏
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    m.r.m. said:

Can't cast a vote, because I missed seeing everything from stage 10 to stage 20 because I was riding in the French alps myself. On the plus side I did manage being "just" 4 min slower up Pra Loup than Thibaut Pinot's & Kruijswijk's fastest times and "only" 11 min slower than Bardet up Col de la Bonnette (sorry - humblebrag). Quite happy with that with not being adjusted to altitude and the temps being 38 degrees.

Amazing cycling round that area.

Did you do the Cayolle/Champs/Allos loop? Probably the best road ride I've ever done.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    RichN95. said:

Yes that's my take too - the top two were very consistent apart from the one obvious exception.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    I was trying to think what would take points away and struggled.

Reading the comments I'm reminded the Green and Polka Dot competitions weren't the best and in hindsight, Pog was probably too far behind to make it likely Yellow would change
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

Climbing is mostly just riding your bike. It's just done by lighter humans. People sometimes try to make it out as being more than it is. 😉

Yes I know . Don't remind me

• Dialatron
    Dialatron Posts: 1,101
    Its an 8 from me.
    Jakobsen was the wrong choice.
    Struggled a little with the Laporte renaissance and the McNulty climb but that's my issue, not wanting to provoke the trolls.
    Old, fat and that's just the bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    That is some rapid cycling!
  • m.r.m.
    mrb123 said:

m.r.m. said:

Amazing cycling round that area.

Did you do the Cayolle/Champs/Allos loop? Probably the best road ride I've ever done.
    Yes, it was truly gorgeous riding! The friend I was riding with is quite a bit heavier, so he wasn't up for riding large loops in the heat, but we did the Cols, just spaced them out from day to day. Next time round, I'll try to ride larger loops. It's definitely worth a visit!

I enjoyed Cayolle, d'Allos and de la Bonnette the most. The Pra Loup descent is fun, because it requires very little breaking.