TDF 2022:- Stage 21: La Défense Arena to Paris Champs-Elysées, 115.6Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I'd completely forgotten about the cobbles until the ITV Montage...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    New Ineos signing (and a lovely clip I hadn't seen before)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgC-baZK9QD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    The pivot to new Movistar is complete...
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    ddraver said:
    Gotta agree with the old boy.

5 stars until etape 18

Then the last 3 stages were meh.

Today was by far the worst Champs stage since before Cav started winning.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited July 2022
    This is the third time in five years that a team's back-up GC rider has won the Tour.

(as far as it looks to us)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    I'm struggling to work out how JV didn't win the team prize as well. I eos didn't have a very big gap when I looked about a week or so in despite having 4 riders in or around the top 4. After that JV seemed to have more riders up there each day than they did so I was expecting them to lose it every day.
  • Pross said:

I'm struggling to work out how JV didn't win the team prize as well. I eos didn't have a very big gap when I looked about a week or so in despite having 4 riders in or around the top 4. After that JV seemed to have more riders up there each day than they did so I was expecting them to lose it every day.

Stages 12-14 made the big difference it looks like - breaks stayed away with Ineos riders, while Jumbo used up there domestiques on 12 & 14
  • ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

I did some analysis. The truth is that other than Hautacam, Jumbo rarely took time on Ineos. Ineos got riders in big breaks and on the McNaulty stage the Jumbo domestiques were well behind

• RichN95.
    Quick Tour trivia question: What connects Geraint Thomas, Chris Froome, Greg LeMond, Lucien Van Impe, Lucien Buysse and Gustave Garrigou?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    RichN95. said:

Quick Tour trivia question: What connects Geraint Thomas, Chris Froome, Greg LeMond, Lucien Van Impe, Lucien Buysse and Gustave Garrigou?

1-2-3. ?
  • RichN95.
    Mad_Malx said:

RichN95. said:

1-2-3. ?
    Yes. They all occupied all three positions on the podium. Ullrich's 2005 3rd has been removed, so he's not there.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    RichN95. said:

They have all been on evey step of the tour podium ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Wouldn’t Ullrich be on that list too?
  • mididoctors

Wouldn’t Ullrich be on that list too?

Ulrich is BANNED 🚫
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    I thought they said he could keep his results up to 2005?
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2022

I thought they said he could keep his results up to 2005?

Sources seem to differ. The Tour website has him still there. PCS (which I was using) have him stripped.

This says he lost everything after 1 May 2005 https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/ullrich-guilty-of-doping-banned-for-two-years-and-loses-results-since-2005-45450
  • ddraver
    RichN95. said:

Usually when you post these things it's that they all dated Tiffany Cromwell...
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    It seems weird that a third place on GC could change the perception of a rider compared to second or first, but does anyone else feel like it's somehow elevated Geraint Thomas a little bit? He was never going to win this year, but he's quietly just gone about securing a podium place in a way that very few riders manage, and it maybe reveals something about how he won the GC that wasn't previously clear.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I did some analysis. The truth is that other than Hautacam, Jumbo rarely took time on Ineos. Ineos got riders in big breaks and on the McNaulty stage the Jumbo domestiques were well behind

Goes to show how reality and perception often differ but probably more I just forgot how much time some of those breaks gained (I also thought JV had riders in a few breaks).

Here's a task for you, how does the aggregate time difference between the top 10 compare to other years? It feels like the gaps are huge. 2014 seemed to have big gaps (with the gap between 1st and 2nd being huge) but I think this year is probably higher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    The gap to 10th was the biggest in the last couple of decades - you could add up all the gaps individually but (surprise surprise) they'll come back to the same answer.

Flicking through it's also fairly uncommon, though not unknown, for so few riders to be within ten minutes.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022
    In the Froome era MTFs were defined by narrow time gaps, usually sub minute and the damage was always done in the TTs - one of the reasons Prudy made TTs so short.

This Tour we saw two MTFs with minute plus gaps.

The TT, FWIW, beyond the top 5, saw really big time gaps.
  • rick_chasey
    Definitely the best tour since 2011.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah not sure I agree but I was only 15 in 2003 so not objective about it
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    I think for a 5/5 the jersey would have needed to be traded between Pog and Ving a few more times.
  • rick_chasey
    r0bh said:

I think for a 5/5 the jersey would have needed to be traded between Pog and Ving a few more times.

Agreed
  • RichN95.
    r0bh said:

And while the winner was unexpected, that winner was never in any jeopardy
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Goes to show how reality and perception often differ but probably more I just forgot how much time some of those breaks gained (I also thought JV had riders in a few breaks).

Here's a task for you, how does the aggregate time difference between the top 10 compare to other years? It feels like the gaps are huge. 2014 seemed to have big gaps (with the gap between 1st and 2nd being huge) but I think this year is probably higher.
    The gap to 3rd just grew steadily as did 3rd to 4th .dispite gaps down the line 4 to 10 did widening they did switch about a fair bit ... Bardet nairo gaudu yo-yoed a lot .... Yates did ok at first then faded hanging on for 10th . One week too long for pidcock