monday all is entropy

2»

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

Somewhat coincidentally, this was one of the clues in today's Times crossword:

Treaty port nearly covering up chaos (7)

it's an omen
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    edited July 2022

You want cold? Come over here. Max today was about 7, wet, breezy at times. Snow on the hills. Dreadful.

Perhaps unsurprisingly elected to stay indoors. Removed bits of old and decommissioned security system, cleaned out some cupboards. Living the dream, eh?

To be fair Spinner, when we're shivering in sideways sleet in January, you post photos of that lovely bay just down the road from you.

I went out to get my lunch, and can confirm that the City is roasting. The ride home will be pretty unpleasant - making sure I take on enough liquid this afternoon.
    I wish Spinner would post more pics of his place when the weather is shyte to cheer us up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    Man, it's a hot one
    Like seven inches from the midday sun
    Well, I hear you whisper and the words melt everyone
    But you stay so cool

Like I wish. Bus into the City, trains disrupted so no point in risking, needle in the eye again, bus back, approx an hour either way. Pretty blxxdy sweaty, esp when holding at a stop for timetable and no air movement.

Plenty of plenty eye candy though, so not all that bad.

Think I'll pop round the corner to the pub for a coldie or 2. Gotta stay hydrated yeah?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Didn't someone just mention idiots drinking in the sun...

Our house is about 3 miles away from my works and MrsHD has just reported a quick downpour. Must be some weather nerd related reason as we live under the Pennines so something about stuff going up, condensing and falling as rain.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199

😎 Just a couple of cold and cooling craft IPAs. At £5.50 per pint, compared to the £3.40 per pint I've been paying my local microbrewery. For higher abv as well.

There were several younger generations, tops off, in the sun, getting well pixxed. It is a pub on a 90s built estate so whatcha gonna do...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

It was kids from Claremont School in Liverpool just now in Llangollen.
    Luckily I smelt so fresh none of them came anywhere near me.

Our house is about 3 miles away from my works and MrsHD has just reported a quick downpour.

While basking in the sun on top of a stone wall waiting for the bus back from Pen y Pass it suddenly clouded over, a few big spots of rain for 2 minutes, then stopped. Wish it had lasted a few more minutes because it was quite refreshing.

Oh, and obligatory photo:

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Has my Garmin watch got heatstroke?
    I haven't knocked it at all today:

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Hot that. Cool shower, now grilling myself some sossers to have with a big salad, then a spell in the hutch watching something on the ipad.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Evening folks,
    Pleasant wobble to the orifice to enjoy the air con coolness. Definitely warm wobbling home. Had to laugh at the number of people that seemed to think cycling in this heat is impossible.
    Big burst water main has closed Kingston Hill today, definitely a good day to be on a bike.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Stevo_666 said:

You want cold? Come over here. Max today was about 7, wet, breezy at times. Snow on the hills. Dreadful.

Perhaps unsurprisingly elected to stay indoors. Removed bits of old and decommissioned security system, cleaned out some cupboards. Living the dream, eh?

If you can ski that snow, I'll book my tickets...
    Doubt anyone has ever successfully tried skiing it. Really rather lumpy rocks underneath. There are two ski fields in Tassie, neither of which is worth the effort to get to. Anyone half keen goes to either Thredbo/Jindabyne in NSW or New Zealand.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Doubt anyone has ever successfully tried skiing it. Really rather lumpy rocks underneath. There are two ski fields in Tassie, neither of which is worth the effort to get to. Anyone half keen goes to either Thredbo/Jindabyne in NSW or New Zealand.
    Did a day at Mt. Hutt a few years back, but didn't go all the way to NZ just for that! It was OK but Europe is all you need on the skiing front tbh.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Did a day at Mt. Hutt a few years back, but didn't go all the way to NZ just for that! It was OK but Europe is all you need on the skiing front tbh.
    Side story…. My (late) sister was executive management in hotels. In 1996, she was offered job at Thredbo Alpine Resort, took it as she liked skiing too. Lived in the village there. Stayed the season, but was then offered a great job back in Sydney in early 97, so she quit the ski field job and moved back.

In July 97, the landslide hit Thredbo, obliterating two lodges. One of them was the staff accommodation lodge - “Bimbadeen” - which is where my sister had lived. 18 people died, most of them hotel or operations staff she knew. She’d have been home too if she’d stayed in the job and almost certainly dead.

The following year when the ski field reopened, the company running the hotel in town just about begged her to go back, as they’d lost pretty much everyone who knew how the place worked. I was surprised she took the job, but she stayed another 6 years there, loved the place.

Most of the ski slopes staff used to leave in summer and go to either Canada or the US to work, a few to Europe. Her ex-boyfriend at the time was a ski patrol bloke, and also the head snowmaker operator, used to do alternate seasons in Deer Valley usually.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Side story…. My (late) sister was executive management in hotels. In 1996, she was offered job at Thredbo Alpine Resort, took it as she liked skiing too. Lived in the village there. Stayed the season, but was then offered a great job back in Sydney in early 97, so she quit the ski field job and moved back.

In July 97, the landslide hit Thredbo, obliterating two lodges. One of them was the staff accommodation lodge - “Bimbadeen” - which is where my sister had lived. 18 people died, most of them hotel or operations staff she knew. She’d have been home too if she’d stayed in the job and almost certainly dead.

The following year when the ski field reopened, the company running the hotel in town just about begged her to go back, as they’d lost pretty much everyone who knew how the place worked. I was surprised she took the job, but she stayed another 6 years there, loved the place.

Most of the ski slopes staff used to leave in summer and go to either Canada or the US to work, a few to Europe. Her ex-boyfriend at the time was a ski patrol bloke, and also the head snowmaker operator, used to do alternate seasons in Deer Valley usually.
    Good story WS - many people would not have gone back after something like that.