Covid Pneumonia, starting training after serious illness

9 months ago, I was in hospital with serious covid pneumonia, for a month. A further 2 were on bedrest, and only then did I slowly start walking again. Walking was always a struggle though, but 6 months in I was walking a mile 3 days a week. In the last few months the last of the fatigue of pneumonia has lifted, and I started cycling again as I tolerate it much better than walking.

I'm really looking to hear others recovery stories from pneumonia, mine was the most serious type and I have some lung scaring. Thankfully i'm blowing a good peak flow for my age, and do not have issues with breathlessness.

Prior to all this, I was very fit, running 5k 3 times a week, cycling too and hiking at the weekends!

I have managed 30 mins cycling 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, and decided to increase one of my three rides to 45 minutes. While I managed this just fine, I did suffer a tight chest for a day or so. This cleared, so a few days later I did a 30 minute ride. Again, the following day, slight chest tightness that passed as the day went on.

I recovered and again cycled 45 minutes on Saturday, however no tight chest! Maybe my fitness is improving?

I ride an e-bike so I can take the sting out of hills as my legs are still a bit weak. I Have slight muscle tone now, but they are still very wobbly!

I've heard that it can take a year or more to regain full fitness, after covid, pneumonia or indeed just being in critical care?

I make sure that during a cycle ride I stay well hydrated and keep in zone 1. I do not feel fatigue after a ride, but can get these mild symptoms, like chest soreness and heavy eyes.

I have spoken to my GP and a physio and they are not concerned, however I just wanted to hear your stories, wether covid or pervious respiratory infections? What challenges did you face?

Comments

• Hello,

Congratulations on getting back out on the bike. It sounds like you’re doing really well.

I wasn’t in critical, I caught covid in March 20 and developed Long Covid. I spent months sofa bound and another year with little mobility. Over the past year I have been building up walking and only recently got back in the saddle.

To be honest the 1 thing I’ve learned though all this is that you’re your own best Dr and simply listening to your body and and not pushing too hard is the way forward. Pacing with the odd push to test the water. Sounds like you’re doing the same.

It is a total crock of shit and you have my sympathies! But again congrats on bouncing back.