Tubular or tubeless for racing

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    probs less than rim tape for tubeless. or worms. or plugs or sealant or whatever othershyte needs to go in them

and the initial cost of the wheels which is going to be far more.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Once again, a bottle of Tufo Extreme Sealant is all you need. It holds enough juice to do three 700cc tubs. It’s barely bigger than a CO2 in a foam sleeve. It can stop pretty hefty cuts and the last time I had to use some I managed to keep using the tub for another two years!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Anyway for the OP it doesn't really matter whether you go for tubs or tubeless.

I think the differences in rolling resistance are often on paper - the small differences can be wiped out by for example pouring sealant into your tubeless or a tub not being stuck securely.

I'd get a deep wheel - at least 50mm deep if you are racing - certainly in the UK there aren't many long climbs in races.

If you are in a budget 2nd hand tubs may get you the best wheels - both aero and light - though as Imposter says running costs may be higher. If it's just for racing though maybe not too big an issue.

If you have a lot of money you'll get something aero and light in either system and tubeless is probably more the future.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle

Once again, a bottle of Tufo Extreme Sealant is all you need. It holds enough juice to do three 700cc tubs. It’s barely bigger than a CO2 in a foam sleeve. It can stop pretty hefty cuts and the last time I had to use some I managed to keep using the tub for another two years!

this exactly.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222

I guess the point of junior racing is to see if you are better than your peers... it's a bit early to look for marginal gains in the form of expensive kit...

Ugo - junior racing is every bit as serious/competitive as national/international level racing. You only have to look at some of the junior performances in the tour series to see the quality there..
    Very much agree. My 13 year old daughter races with Hillingdon Slipstreamers and they are surprisingly up to speed on what kit they need to go fast.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

d)this could be a potential problem with any tyre with sealant

It could. But replacing a tubeless tyre will probably cost you about half the price of a tub, to which you might also need to add the cost of more glue or tape.

buy the best to look/perform the best to be the best
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

It could. But replacing a tubeless tyre will probably cost you about half the price of a tub, to which you might also need to add the cost of more glue or tape.

tape is about £3 a roll for 2 wheels - less than a bag of chips.
    Would you mind sharing where you get that so cheaply? Tufo is £5 per roll which is for one wheel only. Velox Jantex £3.5 per roll, but again for one wheel only + £3.5 shipping.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    BITD I used tubs for racing, using Velox tub tape. Used to repair my own, it's a skill we all learned unless you had pot loads of money. If you wore the tread out before puncturing you could strip the tube out for your clinchers - that's how I got most of my latex tubes.
    These days, too expensive and too much faff. Your race is done so it's whatever gets you back easiest. Not used tubeless but if I was racing I would consider it strongly, to avoid the DNF from a puncture, which seems more likely than not winning because of a couple of fluid ounces of sealant in a tyre.
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2022
    katani said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

buy the best to look/perform the best to be the best
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Would you mind sharing where you get that so cheaply? Tufo is £5 per roll which is for one wheel only. Velox Jantex £3.5 per roll, but again for one wheel only + £3.5 shipping.
    the jantex rolls are for two wheels, so is everything else.

wiggle, crc, lbs. buy it when you get other stuff for free postage from 'net people. no need for postage from lbs obvs.
  • katani

the jantex rolls are for two wheels, so is everything else.

wiggle, crc, lbs. buy it when you get other stuff for free postage from 'net people. no need for postage from lbs obvs.

I have never come across Tufo rolls to cover two wheels. I have just now found a Jantex which covers two wheels for £3.99 with shipping totalling £7:
    https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Velox-Jantex-76-Double-Sided-Tubular-Tape/m-20162.aspx
    I have no lbses immediately in my area, the ones I know of don't do tub supplies, and if I have to drive an hour to one that does I would rather I pay a few quid for postage.
  • MattFalle
    I don't know what to say tbh.

Well done? Sorry to hear? Errrr, go and order some from Wiggle?

Soz.
  • katani
    Thanks. I have found the o

Where do you get this from please? Everywhere I look on the web it's either inactive or out of stock. Not even Tufo themselves have it in their current range of products. Only the one for prevention of flats in tubulars, which I have tried using, but it didn't manage to seal the puncture. Any equally reliable alternatives? I have tried Vittoria Pit Stop, but only ended up with the foam all over the frame, my jersey and bibs and having to spend £8 for a train home.
  • MattFalle
    you can't get it anymore - they don't make it

this is the new stuff

• MattFalle

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    katani said:

Thanks. I have found the o

Where do you get this from please? Everywhere I look on the web it's either inactive or out of stock. Not even Tufo themselves have it in their current range of products. Only the one for prevention of flats in tubulars, which I have tried using, but it didn't manage to seal the puncture. Any equally reliable alternatives? I have tried Vittoria Pit Stop, but only ended up with the foam all over the frame, my jersey and bibs and having to spend £8 for a train home.
    Glad I am not the only one…

left the forum March 2023
  • katani
    edited July 2022
    MattFalle said:

you can't get it anymore - they don't make it

this is the new stuff

Thanks! Will give it a try. Although to be honest, I am now on a second set of Challenge Elite, size 23, and haven't had a flat in months and I am on the bike 3-4 days a week, 30-60 miles each time, (touch wood). I have had Michelin Performance, Schwalbe Pro One and Pirelli P-Zero before and they all lasted between a week and 3 weeks, so I think I will just stick to what has proven reliable, by being more puncture proof or maybe by sheer luck, so far.

"The benefits of tubulars are mainly seen on an alpine stage, where descending on a flat tyre is safer if it's glued"

You mean like proper flat? I can't imagine one can actually continue to ride on a flat tube unless on a grassy surface. On a regular UK asphalt road you 100% end up shredding the tyre and the rim to bits.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Thank feck I have a bottle of Extreme in the bike tool tub and a boxed spare!

Should keep me going until 2030…