Vitus Vitesse EVO Carbon Rim Brake Frameset - £500 Wiggle

This could be a good buy for someone wanting to build up a new carbon rim brake bike?

Vitus Vitesse EVO Carbon Rim Brake Frameset

I spec'd up a build with SRAM Red/Rival AXS electronic shifting and Prime carbon wheels for about £2.6k. Obviously much cheaper with mechanical. Could be lovely with Force 22 or R7000.

Takes BB386EVO BB which is possibly the best of the pressfit standards, and a 27.2 mm round seat post. Clearance for 28 mm tyres just.

Tempted myself but I've already got 5 rim brake road bikes!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Very good value, I read somewhere they are even light frames... 850 g or something
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    what do they look like built up? thats the main thing....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I'd like to see one built up with new 105. ;)

Maybe that's what you get when you try to use a four year old frame with new tech?
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Just bought a frame in the last week or so at a higher price. Think I need to speak to Wiggle as my immediate reaction is just to return and order at the new price. Size M frame weighs 1034g on my scales.
  • rwoofer
    edited July 2022
    I should have added that you will struggle to get 28mm tyres in there. The frame is still in the box but from inspection and measuring I would say only count on 25mm.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    rwoofer said:

Just bought a frame in the last week or so at a higher price. Think I need to speak to Wiggle as my immediate reaction is just to return and order at the new price. Size M frame weighs 1034g on my scales.

They’ll at least give you a voucher for the difference if you ask on the chat.
  • ugo.santalucia
    rwoofer said:

1034 grams for that price is really interesting
  • rwoofer
    Good on Wiggle. They have given me a gift voucher for the difference, which I think is a fair outcome.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    Result!

I feel like this is a repeat of the Westbrooks 2013 Scott CR1-SL sell-off; very light branded carbon frameset for £500. That included the BB and top notch headset, but when you factor in inflation over the ensuing 9 years the Vitus appears an even better bargain.

Think the CR1s were being discounted because they were mechanical only. Wonder if these have reached their sell-by date because rim brakes and skinny tyres are no longer fashionable?

• rwoofer
    Yes, I think that is the case. Although for me I love mechanical, I'm sure you could bodge electronic if you wanted to. However you just can't do anything about low clearances and along with wide wheels, many great frames can only just take 25mm and no more. I bought this as my daughters race bike, which she generally uses at Hillingdon circuit where 25mm or less is absolutely fine.

You still need to add another £70 or so for BB and Headset on this frame, but it is still a bargain if you can live with the constraints.
  • bobones
    The Westbrooks CR1 deal is the stuff of legend. Back then I snagged a red and black "Pro" model for £450. This was the cheaper and heavier of the frames on offer but still only 950g and had the benefit of a threaded BB over the SL's pressfit, which I preferred.

The Scott was my best bike for many years, and I had it down to 6.75 kg with SRAM eTap , Zipp carbon kit and some light wheels and tyres. I've only just sold the frameset after almost 10 years of ownership so it served me well.

The main problem with the CR1 was that it was a struggle to run anything bigger than 23 mm tyres. Looks like the Vitesse is a bit better on that front, but not by much. The comments on Wiggle suggest that some large 28s are too big, but the true to size ones work. Rim brakes and 25s at a lower pressure will be perfect on UK roads for many anyway, and I would definitely buy the Vitus if I could get away with it!

RIP!

• Munsford0
    To be clear Wiggle say they supply the Vitus frameset with kit for both mechanical and di2
  • ugo.santalucia
    rwoofer said:

Yes, I think that is the case. Although for me I love mechanical, I'm sure you could bodge electronic if you wanted to. However you just can't do anything about low clearances and along with wide wheels, many great frames can only just take 25mm and no more. I bought this as my daughters race bike, which she generally uses at Hillingdon circuit where 25mm or less is absolutely fine.

You still need to add another £70 or so for BB and Headset on this frame, but it is still a bargain if you can live with the constraints.

what's the weight of the forks, or if you prefer, the combined weight of the frameset?
  • MattFalle
    rwoofer said:

mechanical, rim, 25s, good price, light weight, all no problem at sll.

Remind us of the constraints - we can't see any.
  • ugo.santalucia
    can't see any either...
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2022
    if its just a normal fork get some EC90 SLXs off the 'bay, fit them and bring the weight right down.....
  • MattFalle
    jyst seen that they are not..... #darnit
  • bobones

can't see any either...

Tempted, Ugo?

According to the Wiggle Q&A, the small frameset weighs 1300g, which is very decent.
  • bobones
    A couple of example builds, could go cheaper/dearer on wheels and finishing kit, maybe go for Prime carbon seatpost and nicer saddle, etc.

SRAM AXS 12-speed electronic build

Shimano 105 R7000 11-speed mechanical build

• ugo.santalucia
    bobones said:

can't see any either...

Tempted, Ugo?

According to the Wiggle Q&A, the small frameset weighs 1300g, which is very decent.
    300g lighter than mine, probably racier...
  • rwoofer
    bobones said:

The Westbrooks CR1 deal is the stuff of legend. Back then I snagged a red and black "Pro" model for £450. This was the cheaper and heavier of the frames on offer but still only 950g and had the benefit of a threaded BB over the SL's pressfit, which I preferred.

The Scott was my best bike for many years, and I had it down to 6.75 kg with SRAM eTap , Zipp carbon kit and some light wheels and tyres. I've only just sold the frameset after almost 10 years of ownership so it served me well.

The main problem with the CR1 was that it was a struggle to run anything bigger than 23 mm tyres. Looks like the Vitesse is a bit better on that front, but not by much. The comments on Wiggle suggest that some large 28s are too big, but the true to size ones work. Rim brakes and 25s at a lower pressure will be perfect on UK roads for many anyway, and I would definitely buy the Vitus if I could get away with it!

RIP!

I've seen it a few times where people say you can fit a 28mm and physically you can, but you wouldn't want to ride it because either it will flex and take the paint off your chainstays or stones will get caught and damage the frame. Personally 2mm clearance either side is the very closest I dare go, but tend to use 3mm as a "safe" minimum. I think manufacturer's tend to go with 4mm clearance.
  • rwoofer
    Uncut fork is 428g. Should have spotted the bag in the bottom of the box, which I presume must be electronic grommets etc. Will report back when the bike is built. Spec for my daughter will be:
    - Med Frame
    - R7000 groupset including pedals
    - Deda 100 handle bars
    - Use Alien carbon seatpost
    - Fabric Scoop carbon saddle
    - Kalloy Uno 90mm stem
    - Prime 50mm v3 wheels

Should be under 8kg ready to ride. To be built in a couple of weeks time, when daughters goes away.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited July 2022
    rwoofer said:

Uncut fork is 428g. Should have spotted the bag in the bottom of the box, which I presume must be electronic grommets etc. Will report back when the bike is built. Spec for my daughter will be:
    - Med Frame
    - R7000 groupset including pedals
    - Deda 100 handle bars
    - Use Alien carbon seatpost
    - Fabric Scoop carbon saddle
    - Kalloy Uno 90mm stem
    - Prime 50mm v3 wheels

Should be under 8kg ready to ride. To be built in a couple of weeks time, when daughters goes away.

Can I be your son? :D
  • Munsford0
    Fantastic job there! Your daughter is a very lucky girl!
  • MattFalle
    yup - looks mega sauce! top work.
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    rwoofer said:

For anyone interested I've now built my daughters bike. It came to 7.7kg ready to ride with peddles, bottle cages, computer mount etc. Just one ride so far and she loves it. The whole bike from new parts for less than the price of the latest 105 groupset.

Which BB did you use? The Prime PF30 one and 24mm reducers like wiggle recommend, or something else?

I'm thinking of a very similarly specced build myself.
  • rwoofer
    Yes, I use the Prime PF30 and 24mm reducers as you say.

I also ordered a frameset for myself in XXL (N+1 got to my head somehow), but just discovered that the fork steerer was too short for the frame. My daughters fork was 40mm longer uncut, which I would have swapped with if I hadn't already cut it. Hopefully that was just a one-off issue, which will be rectified when Wiggle send me a replacement frameset, which they have agreed to do.
  • bobones
    Looks the bollox.

RE BB, I would probably just go for the Prime job, and if it was rubbish or noisy, swap to something else. Token Ninja and Wheels Manufacturing make decent threadfit BB386 BBs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Down to £ 449 now... I am still resisting in the hope that they are left with one M size and they want to flog it for 300 quid or something...
    The joy of being in a position not to need it... :)