TDF 2022:- Stage 2: Saturday 2 July, Roskilde to Nyborg 202.2kms ***Spoilers***

Stage 2: Roskilde to Nyborg 202.2kms

Start Time: 12-15CET

The chances are that the wind (and the formation of echelons) will greatly influence this first road stage. It starts in Roskilde, some 30 kilometres west of Copenhagen.
The city was founded by the Vikings that’s sure to give the Tour a huge sendoff.

Crowds will line the 200-plus-kilometer route, which first heads northwest through small towns and villages to the northern coast, with three small Cat. 4 climbs to liven up the first two hours of racing. It then swings south along flat coastal roads. That means the peloton could already be splintered before hitting the 20-kilometer-to-go sign at the start of the Great Belt Crossing, which spans the Baltic Sea via two of the world’s longest suspension bridges (respectively 6.8 and 6.6 kilometers long), with a 2.5-kilometer section across the small island of Sprogø in the middle. There will be no spectators on the bridges and no shelter from the winds.
The Storebælt bridge, that will end with just 3,5 km to go.

While the riders tackle the Côte d’Asnæs Indelukke, Côte d’Høve Stræde and Côte de Kårup Strandbakke early on, the bridge is the only obstacle that will be on their minds. Not only is the Storebælt bridge exposed, it also climbs, albeit at a shallow gradient.

The finish line in Nyborg is only 2 kilometers after dropping off the second bridge.

What to Expect:

The 2nd stage of the 2015 Tour de France. That race finished at the artificial island of Neeltje Jans in the Netherlands, located halfway a storm surge barrier. After a sunny start the finale was played out with tormenting winds tearing the peloton into 5 pieces. André Greipel sprinted to victory in the first echelon, which only consisted of 24 men. The five groups were spread over 11 minutes and some favorites lost 90 seconds.
We can dream......

Roskilde

Population: 88,000
Specialities: stegt flaesh (roast pork in parsley sauce with potatoes), smorrebrod (slice of rye bread with cold meats, fish, cheese and condiments), wienerbrod (pastry)

ROSKILDE AND CYCLING

Roskilde has frequently been on the programme of the Tour of Denmark, either as a finishing or starting town. Last time, in 2019, the city was the start of a stage won in Frederiksberg by Belgian Tim Merlier, stage winner in the 2021 Tour de France. Several riders born in Roskilde have participated in the Tour de France. This is the case of Per Bausager (1979), Bekim Christensen (2003), or the double Danish champion Nikolaj Bo Larsen (2000, 2001).

Wienerbrod

Along the Stage.
KM 132.9
The swords of Rorby

In 1952, Thorvald Nielsen was dredging a ditch in a small bog in Rorby, West Zealand. He found a curved and ornamented bronze sword that had been planted diagonally in the grass. The sword dated from the early Bronze Age, around 1600 BC, and was the first of its kind to be found in Denmark. It was handed over to the National Museum, but the story does not end there. In 1957, when Thorvald Jensen was digging up potatoes in the same place, he discovered another curved sword. The second curved sword was decorated like the first one, but it was also decorated with an image of a boat. This is the oldest example of a ship image in Denmark.

Nyborg
Population: 32,000
Specialities: stegt flaesh

Nyborg has been a stage town for the Tour of Denmark on four occasions, and has seen Ivan Basso triumph in a TT in 2005 and Mads Schmidt in 2016. In 2011, the city also held a Danish championship won by Nicki Sorensen, winner of a stage in the Tour de France two years earlier.

Stegt Flaesk

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    cool
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    edited July 2022
    SW 22km/h wind with 33km/h gusts forecast at 4pm today
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

Which translates to a head - head/crosswind for most of the stage.
    So echelons very unlikely unless the wind shifts a few degrees.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594

The route offers echelon opportunities for pretty much all wind directions bar sw
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135

The route offers echelon opportunities for pretty much all wind directions bar sw
    SW would work on the first half of they are exposed on the landward side.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    There's a chance that the wind shifts slightly more Southerly in the afternoon, which gives a little more cross than SW for the high part of the bridge (it's in two parts, the huge suspension bridge first, followed by a long flatter bridge, with a slight Southerly turn between)

I wouldn't get hopes up though.
    What we will probably see though is a lot of nerves, too many people trying to be at the front on pretty narrow roads. Quite a potential for time losses due to crashes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'm going to miss this so it'll be an absolute blinder!

Tune in from depart real would be my suggestion.

////

///

/////

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I wonder how they'll cover the bridge section for TV?

You'd think it would make for a fairly spectacular drone shot?

I'm guessing helicopters may need to keep their distance where it's exposed
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    MvdP going full green for coming second on a TT is a bit much
  • tailwindhome
    40mins of Carlton, then over to Ned?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194

Thought WvA came second?
    Having Kirby on comms is a bit much. Maybe they'll kick him off 1/2 way so the finish will be less earbendingly annoying.
  • tailwindhome
    1.5k to the flag drops, Carlton already shitting himself about road furniture and the moto being too close

• blazing_saddles

That's my thinking.
    Not sure why ITV have chosen to just miss the second most important part of the stage.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    Meh... 4 man break going for the kom

Blocking in the bunch
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    BOTD: Magnus Cort, Pierre Rolland, Cyril Barthe and Sven Bystrom
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    That's it for the next 100km I assume. Rolland gets to wear his hideous polka dot shorts again tomorrow.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Crowds are insane. Not seen anything like it since Yorkshire
  • No_Ta_Doctor

That's it for the next 100km I assume. Rolland gets to wear his hideous polka dot shorts again tomorrow.

He's not beating Cort on a short steep sprint imo
  • kingstongraham

He's not beating Cort on a short steep sprint imo
    Here's hoping!
  • mididoctors
    This stage in reverse is the one we wanted
  • blazing_saddles
    What are they doing?
    The breakaway will just slow down or even sit up, unless they allow them more time
  • blazing_saddles
    Kirby already resorting to the usual naming of everyone with a whiff of a chance of winning, plugging Simon Clarke and imagined conversations among the breakaway.
  • blazing_saddles
    A lovely tribute to CAS.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

What are they doing?
    The breakaway will just slow down or even sit up, unless they allow them more time

Keeping them in check as the roads are going to narrow soon
  • kingstongraham
    How can ck not know what the design on the jumbo visma shirts is based on?
  • kingstongraham
    orraloon said:

Thought WvA came second?

It is wva, and he has kept the stupid red bull hat instead of going completely kermit.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

A lovely tribute to CAS.

I heard that Carlton Kirby didn't know who he was, the massive bellend. Danish coms just went silent, you could hear the tears.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194

A lovely tribute to CAS.

Kirby had no idea what that was about or who was Chris.

• mididoctors
    These small roads would make great racing